It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:25 am

Free Newsletter

HEY MY NAME SAYS IT ALL... i need help please

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

HEY MY NAME SAYS IT ALL... i need help please

Postby beginner » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:05 pm

Hi everyone
i am an 20y.o female who is looking at joining a gym...
i really mainly just wanted to tone my calves and thighs in, as they are a tad chunky... and want to loose a bit of my bust line...
has anyone have any sugesstion on how??

thanks
beginner

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:29 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I guess it would depend on what you want. If you want strength and bulk, go for strength exercises like bike riding and weights. If you're wanting a more streamlined toned look, go for pilates which does more lengthening strenght exercises.
Whatever you do will benefit with losing fat though.
Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Welcome to the forum

Postby Ed » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:45 pm

Hi Beginner,

joining the gym is a great idea.

The best way to lose bodyfat is to combine cardio work (walking, jogging, cycling, etc) with weight training.

The cardio exercises burn maximum calories while you are exercising while the weight training builds strong muscles that burn calories 24/7 by raising your metabolism.

Don't be afraid of doing weights for fear of bulking up, women generally don't have enough testosterone to build really big muscles and you'll find that the weight training shapes and firms up the muscles underneath and as you lose bodyfat these muscles will show great definition and the overall circumference of body parts like arms and legs should come down some.

You might find this article on spot reduction interesting:

http://www.weightloss.com.au/articles/e ... uction.htm

And you'll find other great articles and exercise examples here:

http://www.weightloss.com.au/articles-exercise.htm

http://www.weightloss.com.au/home-workouts.htm

Good luck with your weight loss and please keep us informed about your progress and your learnings!

Ed. :D
Ed

P.S.

Postby Ed » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:55 pm

P.S.

The secrets of exercising for weight loss and shape are:

1. Be careful not to overdo it in the beginning - progress slowly

2. Be careful not to increase the amount of food you eat - when you start exercising your body will want more food to compensate for the calories burned during exercise (called homeostasis) which can cause us to be hungrier and eat more than we normally would, and

3. Be patient, results do take some time (3 months or more) but when they do start to come they really make you feel and look great!

Ed. :D
Ed

Postby Groovychic » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:00 am

I agree with everything Ed said. The most important lesson of all that is to go slow. Your body is not used to it. Start with less weight and gradually every week or so add a little more. Start with walking and progress to a brisk walk over a few weeks, then add a little jog in for a few hundred metres etc. I walk for a bit then jog for a bit then walk then jog and so on. But I built up from walking. If you wear yourself out in the beginning your body will be sore and you will be thinking o bugger this I cant be bothered. Try cutting out a little bit of junk.......if you eat it.....just to improve your diet a bit. But you definitely need cadio activity to give you a healthy heart. Get it pumping girl!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

THANKS

Postby beginner » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:02 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE...
I THINK THIS IS A GREAT WEBSITE AS YOU ARE ALL SO FULL OF SUPPORT...
HOPE TO KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED ON MY PROGRESS...

HAVE A GREAT DAY

LINDA :D
beginner

Postby Dolly » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:37 pm

Dolly

Postby KimE » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:33 pm

Hello Linda and welcome to the forum.

Ed's pretty much covered everything. There are really great articles on this weightloss site so be sure to have a good look through them.

When I joined the gym I had a few sessions with a personal trainer to get an idea of the right technique when using free weights and also for suggestions on progressions. She also showed me all the machines so I would know how to use them if I chose to. After that I was happy to go it alone but getting the initial advice worked well.

Good luck with your goals. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

hi beginner

Postby lackofenergy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:04 pm

hi beginner,

I don't know anything about gyms, but dont despair, i am fairly new to this forum too, and already so many wonderful people have responded and replied to my posts... not a good day for me, and have old issues from teh past to resolve, but i am getting there, feel hungry now, but must have fruit in stead of chocolate biscuits, i don't know why all this is happening to me, but i am sure there is a reason, i will sleep on it, to top it all off, a guy i really care for is ignoring me, god , i hope he isn't married!! :?
lackofenergy

Return to Introductions