It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:17 am

Free Newsletter

I´ve learned my lesson and I´m doing it right this time!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

I´ve learned my lesson and I´m doing it right this time!

Postby fifteensixtyfive » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:01 am

Hello everyone :)

Well, here I am again. At the beginning of yet another weight loss journey. I am currently at the highest weight of my life. I always told myself that I would NEVER weigh over 90kgs. I swore that if I ever got to that point I would absolutely do something about it once and for all! I am all about body pride, but I also have a family history of heart disease and diabetes (along with some other issues) and I know that I need to drop weight. And I´ve decided that I want my 30´s (I´m 28 now) to be the healthiest years of my life!!

My most recent weight loss attempt saw me drop about 14kilos over a relatively short period. The problem was that I was ADDICTED to the gym and I was putting unrealistic food restrictions on myself. I went through a period where I was off of all animal products, all alcohol, all non-natural sugar, all caffeine, etc. For my lifestyle, it definitely wasn´t sustainable (especially after an intense craving for sushi turned into a week-long steak binge!!). Having grown up with a mother who was bulemic for 10 years I feared that I was in danger of doing some serious physical and mental damage to myself.

I hit my first big plateau and threw a fit. I felt like a failure and instead of pushing through it I cut back on my efforts so much that I was afraid to walk past my gym for fear that one of the trainers would hop out and shout "hey, you! Where have you been?" As a result, the weight started to pile back on.

This time I am doing things the right way!! I´ve been making gradual changes to my exercise and eating habits, rather than the "all-or-nothing" approach that left me feeling like a failure before. I get such a sense of pride when I notice my muscles developing, or when I manage to squeeze in an extra bit of cardio at every gym session. I made exercise the first priority and now that I´ve made it a habit I am focusing more on my nutrition.

I can´t wait to explore these boards some more and see what all of you guys and gals have been up to!

Cheers!

-fif
-I'm one third of the way there and still going strong!! -27 July 2010
-I'm one fifth of the way there and still going strong!! -16 May 2010

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wA7qUBE/]
[/url]
fifteensixtyfive

Re: I´ve learned my lesson and I´m doing it right this time!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 am

Hi Fif,
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've got a sensible plan in store this time. It's ok to stuff things up a bit, so long as you recognise it, learn from it and start heading in the right direction again.
Look forward to having you on the boards!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby fifteensixtyfive » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:08 am

Hello again. As far as my weight loss goals are concerned there is bad news and good news. The bad news is that I haven't really lost any of the 30kgs I've been trying to lose. My exercise routine was fairly regular for a bit but because I was living with my boyfriend's parents I wasn't paying much attention to what I was eating. His mother always cooked very "hearty" meals and I mainly kept my goals a secret because I didn't want anyone asking too many questions or trying to shove "diet foods" down my throat. They (his family) are a well-meaning yet VERY overbearing bunch! Aaaanyway...

The good news is that I've gotten myself back on track and I've decided that instead of waiting to lose weight to begin my "rebirth" I would engage in things I've always wanted to try. I am now studying Kendo and Iaido (two forms of Japanese swordsmanship) and have also joined a fencing club. Each are great forms of exercise (especially fencing!!) and my desire to excel in Kendo and Iaido have motivated me to exercise more outside of class. Swinging swords around does require a great deal of upper body strength, after all! I've also been doing a lot more cardio.

And I can do pushups now!!!...well, sort of :) So, while I haven't lost weight, I've definitely gotten stronger! But now my focus is on getting fitter AND dropping those kilos! My main problem has been my food intake. It has been so inconsistent with too many nights of "oh, a couple of drinks won't hurt anything" and "if no one sees me smash two donuts then those calories don't count, right?" So I've been keeping a food diary and these days I'm not even tempted by junk food. Yay!!
-I'm one third of the way there and still going strong!! -27 July 2010
-I'm one fifth of the way there and still going strong!! -16 May 2010

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wA7qUBE/]
[/url]
fifteensixtyfive

Postby miss_viva » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi 1565 and welcome back!

Great job with getting back on track and taking up some new forms of exercise, I'm sure you'll start to notice some results soon. I've found that doing exercise I enjoy has really helped me with my weightloss, rather than forcing myself to work out at the gym (which I hate!). Good luck with working out your diet, and if you haven't already been there, I suggest going to calorie king (www.calorieking.com.au) for some helpful tips, advice and information.

Looking forward to hearing more about your weighloss :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Return to Introductions