It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 am

Free Newsletter

HELLO

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

HELLO

Postby Gill P » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am a very new member and hoping to get some help and support from you all.

I have to lose weight in order to have an operation. I have tried every slimming club going and every diet too. In desparation today I have sent for the Censored and also the Gabreil Method I didn't see that until after I had ordered the Censored.

I have some serious health issues in that I have a condition called Barrett's Oesaphagus that requires surgery, an operation called a Nissen Fundoplication. Very Very scary operation looked at it on UTube shouldn't have done that!

Anyway I am trying to be a positive person, I really do eat a very healthy diet, I just eat too much of it. I have always had a good appetite and when I was young my parents (who had been through the War) used to make us clear our plates before we could leave the table. I am sure there are some of you out there who can attest to that!

Anyway upshot is this - I need to lose weight, I am at the heaviest I have ever been weighing 1 stone more than the day before giving birth to my first child. I feel very depressed today, as the sun is shining and I am FAT! but hey ho I will never get anywhere with that attitude. I have read a lot of reports from you guys about the Gabriel Method and I can't wait until the book arrives and I can get stuck in. In the meantime, I welcome you all into my life and hope we can love and support each other on our respective journeys.

xxxxx
Gill P

Re: HELLO

Postby soniad » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi Gill,

It's interesting that you mentioned your parents used to make you eat everything on your plate. This is one of the most common subconscious beliefs that stops people from maintaining a healthy weight; the belief 'I have to eat everything on my plate'.

From birth to about the age of 8 years, our conscious critical thinking mind has not yet formed. This is the part of your mind that (as an adult) allows you to decide what you are going to believe. (For example, if someone were to come up to you and say: 'You are a difficult person', then as an adult you have the ability to say: 'No, that's NOT true. I don't accept that.') So before age 8, everything our parents, teachers and other people in authority say to us goes in as absolute fact and forms the basis of our subconscious belief systems.

From my experience with clients these beliefs cause a lot of self-sabotage because your subconscious mind brings into your awareness everything that supports your beliefs. Therefore, if you continually say (out loud or silently) 'I am always hungry', then your subconscious will store and re-affirm this as a belief; and therefore you WILL eat more than you need. Here are some other really common beliefs to watch out for:

'I never finish what I start';
'I am an 'ALL or NOTHING' person (IE: If I have one Ti Tam I have to finish the whole packet';
'I dont have time...' (to prepare healthy meals or exercise);
'I have always struggled with my weight' (therefore alwayswill...);
'I'm lazy';
'I am weak willed';
'If it's free I have to eat it'

Watch what you say to yourself and about yourself and this will help you to get rid of unwanted beliefs. Speak in positive terms about yourself and your life, and focus on what you want, not what you don't want (EG: Instead of thinking: 'I'm sick of being overweight', say: 'I look fowrad to being slim'.)

Hope this helps

regards

Sonia
soniad

Postby Gordz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:22 pm

interesting sonia. i know for a fact that i didn't need to make that lunch as big as i did, and i knew half way through i probly should have saved the other half for dinner. oops!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby soniad » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:09 am

Ha!

A common problem Gordz.....wants versus needs :D