It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:34 am

Free Newsletter

Hi! Anyone else doing a shake diet?

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi! Anyone else doing a shake diet?

Postby kitten1986 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi everyone!
I am new to this forum after I realized I needed a little extra support on my diet.
I started Optislim 3 times a day meal replacement shakes two days ago and so far I am doing great!
My starting weight is 86kg and I am 169cm tall. This puts me in the obese category for BMI calculations
which really gave me a shock and a kick of the proverbial to start losing some weight!
I plan on getting down to 66kg so I need to lose 20 kilograms, PHEW!
I have tried lots of other diets before but I always fail, I have been overweight since I was about 7 years old
and I am just so sick of being the fat girl so I have decided to take control of it once and for all.

So my plan is to use optislim for the loss of the first 10 kilograms, I realise these meal replacements are not designed
for prolonged use but I thought it would be great to kickstart my weightloss and help me feel better about myself.
I am also going to start the couch to 5k program again (I completed it at the beginning of the year but have since stopped running again :S)

And for the last 10 kilograms I am going to eat really healthily lots of fruit and veg, high fibre and protein and I am going to do additional exercise.
I plan on buying an elliptical trainer and some handweights for home or joining the local gym... but I havent decided which yet!

So thats me in a nutshell! I look forward to making some diet buddies on these forums to share the ups and downs of losing weight with!
I am also interested in hearing other peoples experiences on shake diets, be it optislim, optifast, tony ferguson, celebrity slim etc...
kitten1986

Re: Hi! Anyone else doing a shake diet?

Postby onthedecrease » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi Kitten,

Im on celebrity slim and have done it off and on for around 9months or so and it has worked wonders for me. Best of luck to you on your journey and I hope to hear more from you.

Stacey :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby kitten1986 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:12 pm

WOW Stacey! what a great job you are doing .. 9 MONTHS!!! hahaha
I only plan on sticking to it for my first 10 kg I dont think I could go that long without eating hahaha
congratulations on your weghtloss too It is so encouraging to see that these shake diets actually work and if I stick to it I could have some losses like yours
I had a look around at all the shake diets before I decided to buy, I have tasted TF and CS, but I was comparing nutritional values and price of the shakes and I just couldnt go past the optislim ones I get a 2 week supply (42shakes) for $55 from my local chemist!!! They dont taste as good as the CS ones and there is only a tiny flavour range :S but the price won it out in the end. Ugh I would kill for a banana one though hahahahaha

Best of luck for your continuing weight loss and reaching your goal

Kitten
kitten1986

Postby DeeEm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:47 am

Glad to hear you're doing so well, Kitten :)
Wow... we're the same height... and I'd LOVE to be your weight... LOL.

As you know from my intro thread, I'm doing CS too and I'm quite enjoying it. I've not tried any other shake diets so I have no means of comparison but I'm quite content to stick to this one :)

Best of luck with it all! I think it's a great way to kick-start the first 10kgs. I was going to do the same thing (I originally just wanted to do it for 8 weeks because I didn't think I'd be able to stick with it long-term) but I'm still going. I realise now that shake diets can and do teach us portion control and they're not necessarily a 'quick-fix' like some people believe. I definitely look at high-carb foods in a different light now and know to steer clear of them - and I know that once I go off CS how my diet should look.
Debbie
Start Date: 28 Mar 09
What I want to achieve:
1st Goal - 10kgs (end of May) - Reward: Wii Fit DONE
2nd Goal - 12.1kg (June 11 - DH's Birthday) - Reward: Reward enough in itself! DONE
3rd Goal - 15kgs (Aug 3 - DS's Birthday) - Reward: My Fitness Coach (Wii Fit) DONE
4th Goal - 20kgs (Mid-October for a wedding) - Reward: New clothes!
5th Goal - 30kgs (Christmas) - Reward: a digi-cam? Not sure.
DeeEm

Postby Shea » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi Kitten,
I'm tossing up whether I should try the shakes once again for a kick start! I'm just a bit cautious as the low carb thing goes against everything I know. I think these diets are great for exactly what you are doing... a kick start. Just be careful if you go on... the last time I did one I lost 5 kgs in 2 weeks! The problem here is your body can not physiologically burn more than 1kg of fat in a week (on average). With further investigation I had lost 2 1/2 kgs of muscle mass... this slowed my metabolism during every minute of the day!!! Needless to say it only took a week to put 4kgs back on. I'm sure we have heard the rule 0.5 - 1kg per week is a safe weight loss... this is why, anything more than that our body is breaking down vital body tissue for energy. The evidence surrounding low carb dieting is very controversial, has been for years and will be for many more.
As I said before I still fall victim the the ease of shakes to "kick start". Please be aware of the rate the weight comes off because if you lose lean muscle mass, the second you stop the weight will come back on 2 times as fast as your metabolism will be slower. If it is coming off too fast talk to your consultant. When I approached them about my muscle loss I was told not to exercise as it was the exercise causing it... hmmm... that was the end of shakes at the time for me personally.
Another point to make is that weight loss is acheived simply when energy out is more than energy in. Any shake diet is based around this simple formula... if you ate carbs with the shakes and burnt more energy than you ate you would still lose weight. The plus to shakes is that they are easy and you don't have to think about food. Anyway I'm raving on here... I'm not by any means saying not to do shake dieting as this is personal preference... just be mindful of what your body is telling you! $42 for 2 weeks is a good deal too (1/2 the price I was paying).
Good luck with everything!
Shea
P.S. I have heard way better stories that the "exercise made you lose muscle" one!
My Britney concert countdown
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRuORqU/]
[/url]

Overall goal
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wm2HILP/]
[/url]

SW: 105.7 29/6
GW: 70
CW: 104.3 2/7
G1: 85
Shea

Postby kirbie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:14 pm

Hey im new to this, Just brought some celebrity slim shakes at lunch time, had one for lunch fellign a bit light headed but i guess that is all part of the detox. Im trying to lose ten kilos so hopefully it wont take me long :)
Reaching for my goal of 65kg :)
kirbie

Postby onthedecrease » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:58 pm

i responded to your main post kirbie- and unfortunatly i think it will take some time for you to lose the 10kg and that really is the best way to go about it nice and slow
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby B'sgirl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Welcome Kitten,

I am currently doing Celebrityslim too. I have used these shakes aswell as Optislim, Tony Ferguson & Kate Morgan before, basically I just tried them all out to see which one I liked. I stuck with CS mainly because I can get them at my local Priceline & I liked the flavours.

I lost weight about 2 years ago on these shakes, about 8 kgs in 6 weeks, but I also did some moderate exercise too. My elliptical bike (cross-trainer) I used about 4 times per week but for only about 20 mins at a time. But those 20mins were intervals of moderate/fast pace, which really gets your metabolism firing! :wink: When I first started off I struggled to do 5mins! But soon I was "jogging" on it & eventually managed to do 6.5kms in 20 mins!

You've made the right step & I know that people say that you just put it all back on when you go back to eating "normal" food, but really, it wouldn't matter what program you were following, you'd still put it on again it you went back to eating "normally" again. If "normal" was having bad eating habits & what got us here in the first place! :lol:

I went back to eating 'crap' food & not exercising, thats what made me put it all back on again, just plain laziness! So, in a nutshell, if you stick to it, it will work. These 'shake' programs often have a maintenance plan to follow after you've reached goal weight too.

Good luck with your journey hun!

Hayley
SW-90.4KGS
CW-90.4
GW-60KGS

DEC '07-59KGS
SIZE 10
B'sgirl

Postby B'sgirl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Oh, regarding the bit were I said, "You've made the right step" I simply meant that "the right step" in acknowledging your health & that you were planning on getting healthy. I didn't mean that doing the shakes was the 'right' step as in the 'only' step in regards to weight loss. :shock: Does that make sense????

I just wanted to clear that up before anyone jumped down my throat & said that I was all for the 'shake' programs & I was condoning other weight loss methods! :D

Ok, I'll shut up now :oops:

Hayley
SW-90.4KGS
CW-90.4
GW-60KGS

DEC '07-59KGS
SIZE 10
B'sgirl

Return to Introductions