It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:50 am

Free Newsletter

I've lost my motivation

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

I've lost my motivation

Postby shrinkme » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:07 am

:oops: Hi, my name is Mel and I have lost my motivation. I have been doing cs for the past 11 weeks with a total of 8.3kg lost. Truth be told I have really been doing cs for 6 weeks, the other 5 I was just doing it to varying degrees. I posted my latest not so upbeat message on the cs forum where some kind soul mentioned this forum as a general help for people trying to lose weight any way they choose.

So here I am. I am hoping to get my mojo back. I have made it under the 100kg mark and would like to keep going, but I am really struggling at the moment and giving into temptation constantly. My sister in law is getting married on 8 August, and I thought that would be good motivation for me to lose weight as the bridesmaid's dress I bought, whilst lovely was a size 22W (apparently the 'w' stands for 'wide', I prefer 'woman'!! :D ). I bought it before I lost weight, and now it is too big - yay - yet still that has not been enough to keep me motivated. My mother in law said (as she is going to take the dress in for me - hopefully!) it is lucky she hasn't run my dress in yet - I have to admit I have a history of yo yo dieting. Must admit that was a bit of a blow, yet STILL no motivation...

I posted earlier that I feel like the cartoon lady on the nicotine replacement ad with the little gremlins inside my head (:twisted:) trying to convince me to have that chocolate (while in the ad they want her to have a smoke) - thank god I don't smoke - lol! I have enough problems resisting food temptation!!

Anyway... that is my story so far. The way I feel at the moment the only thing that will help me lose weight is to sew my lips shut... but I am looking for a less painfull answer! lol!

--- Mel ---
shrinkme

Re: I've lost my motivation

Postby soniad » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Mel,

Don't give up! You have come such a long way. Are you depriving yourself too much? Whenever your subconscious mind hears the word 'diet', there is an automatic assumption that we are eventually going to come off that diet (and go back to old unhealthy eating habits). So diets, no matter how great they seem at the time, don't change our internal attitude towards food, which is often where the real problem lies.

Whatever you do must be do-able long term, otherwise you will crack under the pressure and probably start bingeing. Can you honestly see yourself following your current eating plan for the rest of your life? If not, it would be a good idea to modify or re-evaluate this plan so that it becomes a lifestyle change rather than a diet.

That little 'gremlin' inside your head is actually a part of your subconscious that is trying to help you in some way. For example, this part might recognise that up until now you have managed anxiety and turmoil through turning to food for comfort. When you experience this sudden pull towards unhealthy food, try keeping an emotions diary. Examine how you're feeling at the time. Did something stressful come up, either at the time or hours before? When you try to resist the pull towards comfort food, your inner gremlin is actually saying 'No way. We need comfort food to help us with anxiety. I'm not letting it go because if I do, something bad might happen to you ' So it's about giving that part another way to help you other than with food.

I wish you all the success in the world and I'm sure you will look beautiful in your bridesmaid dress.

regards

Sonia
soniad

Postby shrinkme » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks Sonia. I think you are right about the diet being too restrictive. It does get good results when you stick to it, but in the past I have found myself to be more of a slow and steady dieter. I am going to re-evaluate and try and work out the best way for ME to lose weight which will actually involve sticking to an eating plan. I just had two slices of Burgen soy and linseed bread for breakfast, and to be honest it was BEAUTIFUL. I think I will do a hybrid of low GI and whatever else takes my fancy. I guess I will have to do a bit of research (lucky today is my day off!) and work out what suits me.

Thanks again

Mel
shrinkme

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:13 am

Sonia's advice is really good. It could easily be that you're depriving yourself too much on CS. One thing I've noticed over the years on this board is that all diets work on paper. The only reason they won't work for everyone is because not everyone can stick to them! And it's nothing to do with willpower, it's got to do with individual psychological make-up and lifestyle. If you find you're going mad on replacement meal shakes chances are it's simply not the diet for you. If going cold-turkey from your treats for a few weeks has made you crave them even more, then cold-turkey doesn't work for you.

One weight loss method that is very popular on this forum is Calorie King. The best thing about it is that it's free. You sign up for your account, entering in details about your weight, height and goal weight. Then you have the option of creating a set menu or entering in your own food. It will calculate how many calories per day you should be eating to lose weight. And because it's Australian the food database contains most of the stuff you'll find in the supermarket. You just enter what you're going to eat, and how much you're going to eat of it, and it automatically adds the calories to your daily food diary. You can also enter in your exercise to see how many calories you are burning. It's very effective for some people and well worth a shot!

There are many people on this forum using many different ways to lose weight. In my opinion it's a matter of trial and error to see which method works for you. So don't beat yourself up over one method failing. Chances are it just wasn't suited to you. Just go and try another and keep your eye on the end goal.

Good luck. I hope you find a weight loss method that works for you, and I look forward to hearing about your weight loss journey on the forum!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby shrinkme » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks Ali

I have the day off from work today as my daycare lady (her official title - lol!) is having the holidays off. As a result I am sitting in front of the computer reading and typing and my two kids are watching a movie. Fantastic parenting I know, the only thing that makes me feel better is that the weather outside is cold and miserable! :oops: Anyhoo, might hit that Calorie King website... I think it is good to get an idea of what you are consuming until you get the hang of what your body needs. I must say WOW :shock: I joined this forum last night and have had two wonderful replies.

THANKS GUYS!

Mel
shrinkme

Postby funstopper » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi Mel, I have been a member on this forum for a few weeks now and these girls (and guys) are my motivation. I have been overweight nearly all my life and one evening it hit me that I need to lose weight for me, not for my husband or my family or friends just for me. That night I found this forum and read some the stories of just a few of the wonderful and supportive people here. The next morning I woke with a fierce determination and so much motivation I was nearly popping out of my skin. I had always used the kids, the weather, the housework, anything I could think of as an excuse not to exercise but that morning it had all changed. The kids could be rugged up in jumpers, the weather wasn't so bad, a jumper and a beanie would keep us warm, the housework...that could wait, wasn't going to go anywhere. With my 9 month old in the pram all rugged up nice and warm and my 3 year old on her bike just itching to go for a ride off we went. I walked to our local football oval and then around it 4 times and then home again. I had never felt so good. Since that day I have done at least 30 mins of exercise almost everyday but the biggest thing I have learnt is not to beat myself up if I don't do it, just get on with it and make sure I do it the next day, afterall I can't change the past.

As for the food thing, I took the advice of many of those on the forum and joined up to Calorie King and it has been my saviour, I can visually see the calories I consume each day and I know what my daily intake should be. I must admit I do go over my calorie intake somedays but hey, I'm not perfect. Besides the other thing I have learnt is that depriving myself doesn't work either. The more I tell myself I can't have something the more I want it until I can't take it anymore and instead of one tim tam or one piece of cake I eat the whole packet or the whole cake. So to break this viscious cylce I have decided that I can have what food I want but I have to work it into my daily calorie intake.

The biggest thing however, bigger than the exercise and the food is the support. We all need support to take on a challenge such as losing weight and this forum has been my saviour. I have recieved so much support from the people on here that at first it was overwhelming. So remember Mel, we are all here for you to help and support you through this journey, if you ever need someone to talk to or just need someone to listen to you we are all here. So good luck on your lifestyle readjustment (I prefer that to diet cos as Sonia said a diet infers that it will one day end and it doesn't, we are in this for the long haul), I will be here to help and supoort you if I can and look forward to following your journey. Good Luck and remember just take one day at a time.

Funstopper
FunStopper
Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did

funstopper

Postby court » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:13 pm

Wow FS!! Powerful reading this really rung true as well!!

I woke with a fierce determination and so much motivation I was nearly popping out of my skin. I had always used the kids, the weather, the housework, anything I could think of as an excuse not to exercise but that morning it had all changed.

It is amazing for me to think that 6 months ago I wasnt the person I am now.. and this sums it up! Every time I exercise it is never a chore it is something i LOVE! I ride my bike in the middle of winter to get to gym classes - before I cant even imagine me goign if I lived ABOVE a gym! It is a lifestyle change and I can vouch for the fact that it becomes second nature! Good luck guys

xoxox
court

Postby shrinkme » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:44 pm

You are right court WOW :shock: That was pretty amazing funstopper! Thank you so much for sharing that, I really appreciate it. I set up my Calorie King account today, so hopefully my lifestyle reallignment is ready to go!

As far as exercise goes, I know I have become pretty addicted to my Wii personal trainer game that I got for my birthday. It certainly gives me a good workout, and as you add your weigh details, etc it actually calculates how many calories you are burning in each session...

Here we go!

Mel
shrinkme

Postby funstopper » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:36 am

Go for it Mel and Good Luck, keep us all posted.

I also have a Wii Fit and personal trainer game which I rely on alot to get my exercise and the best bit is the kids love to watch me do it and my three year old even found an old set of scales that she used as her WiiFit board and joins in...its so cute.

Remember, we are all in this together, so if you need anything just ask

Funstopper xx
FunStopper
Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did

funstopper

Return to Introductions