It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Can't seem to be motivated

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Can't seem to be motivated

Postby anna » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi there,

I joined this forum because I can't seem to find motivation elsewhere, so I tried this one. Hope you guys can help.

It's not the exercising part because I'm going to the gym 3x a week.

It's my eating habit that's hopeless. I can't seem to set my mind into eating healthy. I was planning to start this very Monday but then feels like mentally I can't do it and not ready, so I decided to postpone it till next Monday (typical excuse rite?). I know I can do it because I've lost some b'fore but then fell off the wagon and put it back on. It's more of a mindset thing.

What to do?? I've always been overweight and this affects my self-esteem. I'm turning 24 in 3 months and wants to finally feel good about myself. Help! Any tips or advice??

Can't seem to get motivated

Postby Ed » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:58 pm

Hi Anna,

welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you're planning to make some major changes to your diet all at once, the thing you do when you go on a "diet".

Making dramatic changes rarely works and the majority of us who do make them "fall off the wagon" as you say.

Making minor changes that become new habits is the key to long term weight loss success.

For example swapping the foods we eat regularly for lower cal options is a good strategy because it means we can continue to eat the foods we like.

Lately I've been simply trying to get more vegetables into my diet.

I've started ordering vegetarian pizzas instead of super supremes and have started eating vegetarian lasagna instead of meat lasagna and eating roasted vegetables for lunch occasionally and I'm happy with my progress.

Because I'm actually beginning to enjoy these foods it's no longer a case of forcing them into my diet and I'm starting to eat more vegetables without even thinking about it.

Perhaps you might try starting off with more modest changes to your diet and then you shouldn't need to nominate a starting date which obviously is something you're trying to avoid.

Hope this helps, please let us know what you decide to do and how it works for you.

Ed. :D

Postby Mandie » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:50 pm

Totally agree. The key is making lifestyle changes, not a major "diet". Strict diets can be very hard to stick to, and then when you go off them, people tend to go back to eating whatever they want, and end up putting all the weight back on.

It's all about healthy food choices.

Start small. Aim to change one part of your diet each week.

For example:
Week One - I will drink at least 2L of water every day.

Week Two - I will eat 2 serves of fruit every day.

Week Three - I will stop snacking after dinner.

etc etc. Do what's best for you.

Good luck!

Postby KimE » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:07 pm

Hi anna and welcome to the forum.

There is some great advice right there from Ed and Mandie.

I also found setting goals helped prepare me mentally to change my lifestyle. Long, medium and short term goals, whatever helps you the most. Writing down your reasons for making the changes may help too.

There is always plenty of support here if you need help.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck! :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby anna » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:01 am

Thanks for the tips ppl, very much appreciated :D

I've always been an 'all-or-nothing' kind of girl and I know it's stopping me from reaching my goal...

But this morning after my trip to the gym I suddenly felt that I have to do it NOW, TODAY... So I did it (not gonna wait till monday, would've lost all motivation by then)... But am gonna take it one step at a time as you've all mentioned... So this morning I had my eggs with an orange instead of my usual morning instant noodle (I love instant noodle) -- pat on the back -- but it's sooo cold right now am feeling hungry again... persisting though...

This afternoon I will try to avoid my usual lunch of McDonnalds and have a sandwich instead (fingers crossed).

Say, you think a diet pill like Fatblaster would help or no (helps with my hunger)?

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:51 pm

I think the key question to ask is "can I do this for the rest of my life?" if the pill works for you, good o, but can you take them forever? will they harm your body? can you afford them in the long run?

Same goes for any 'diets' that you want to go on. Obviously restricting yourself to 1 lettuce leaf per day will lead to weight loss, but you're hardly going to eat like that forever without some serious consequences.

For me, I haven't banned anything. I could go out right now and get myself a whopper with extra cheese, and a triple deck icecream dipped in cream an dchocolate. But I make a decision not to (partially because I no longer crave fatty foods as habit has changed my tastes). As someone else said make slow changes eg, if you are a burger fan, try making your own from salads on a wholemeal bun with say a lentil or chickpea pattie and some seed mustard. For me, I substituted milk chocolate for 85% cocoa choccie or hot chocolate made from cocoa (unsweetened) a little skim milk and hot water.

If you try to change everythng at once, it is too much for your body to handle, so how about you REALLY go all or nothing and go all out on a PROPERLY DESIGNED scheme to help lose weight - permanently. You can set yourself goals as someone said above that you can throw yourself into healthily and feel proud that you achieved them! I hope you meet your goal of avoiding that burger!

35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Groovychic » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:31 pm

Well I do hope you succeeded today Anna! I know what temptation is like! Helps when you live in the country and the fast food is a drive away instead of just down the road!!! Small changes are the way to go. Its a life change not a diet, or else you run the very real risk of putting the weight back on. Now I am feeling really hungry at the moment, nearly 4pm which is danger time for me. So I am going to go and grab an apple shortly, which should take me through to dinner. Now I don't want to eat an apple but I know if I don't then I will eat something I shouldnt. Such as the tic toc biscuits or the hundred and thousands biscuits I buy for the kids. I don't want to deprive them and eat all their stuff i bought for their school lunches!!! Believe me the cravings do go away on their own. I don't crave junk nearly as much as I used to. But one thing to maybe have on hand is some diabetic lollies. If you are really craving something sweet and going mad with it then have a suck on one of those. Gives you the sweetness your body is wanting. But occassionally have something unhealthy. Remember everything in moderation. Good luck Anna.

Keep Smiling!!!

Return to Introductions