It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:40 am

Free Newsletter

No time, no money, no support I need help!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

No time, no money, no support I need help!

Postby KellieDH » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:54 pm

I am just wondering if anyone can offer advice on how I might overcome some of my obstacles.

Firstly I have life threatening food allergies which prevent me from buying most pre prepared foods or meal replacements I have to do most of my food from scratch and due to time constraints I do rely heavily on the small amounts of pre prepared foods I can eat and they are not all that great. I work for myself whilst also caring for my 15 month old daughter who I am also still breastfeeding.

I am soley responsible for the care of the house and I need to dust and vaccuum everyday due to my allergies I am also responsible for all of the meal preparation. My husband is generally working in the evenings and time is just getting the better of me everyday, if I get to have a shower it is a blessing. I usually get to bed between 11pm and 1am and have 4-6 hours of sleep before it all starts again.

I really can't afford a gym at the moment and I really wouldn't have the time, I have nobody to mind my daughter so any excercise would have to be around her/with her, I carry alot of injuries thanks to a car accident but I am able to push through I just need to make sure I am doing the right excercises correctly. Most days I just feel really overwhelmed, I need to lose about 35 kilos and really I have no idea how to start.

Re: No time, no money, no support I need help!

Postby Dolly » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:42 am

Hi Kellie, I understand your extreme plight (I also suffer from allergies and am somewhat restricted)
I hope there are some forum members that can come up with some really helpful suggestion tips for you.
It must be so difficult trying to make a schedule to fit everything in especially with a young child to look after too.
Perhaps this link may have some suggestions that could help you click here (run the mouse over the headings on the left)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Kellie,
Welcome to the forum! To start with, I'd suggest making a good record of exactly what you are doing with your time during the day so you can look for any potential ways you can streamline your tasks more and save time.

Secondly, having to make meals from scratch is a total bonus (although, yes, it's a drag to cook anything, and having allergies is not good)! Prepackaged foods have added sugar, salt and fat that make losing weight harder so you're already in a good position by not being able to eat them (just pointing out the silver lining). A slow cooker may be helpful too? That way you can do up big batches of things and freeze them for days when things really get hectic.

Ok, so maybe finding some good quick recipes would be a start, so you don't have to spend forever. I don't know what your allergies are but take a look at all the foods you CAN eat and look at quick recipes you can have using them. Stuff that contains just good old vegies and basic cooking ingredients tends to lend itself well to quick and easy anyway.

And as for the cleaning, you could turn that into exercise by racing yourself each time (so you're working harder) or dancing around cleaning to music. and if you do manage to work a schedule so that you have some time, you can always take your daughter on a walk with you.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby court » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:20 pm

excellent tips! I can vouch for the slow cooker idea too - I whacked mine on last night and it is a breeze - although you need to get used to waking up to the delightful smell of dinner cooking :shock: :lol:
Or better still - be smarter than me and put it ON in the morning!! :lol: :roll:

Postby Czarina » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:27 pm is free. It has a lot of information regarding nutrition and exercise, and has seriously changed my life. :D

Postby funstopper » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi Kellie and welcome. I understand your plight regarding time constraints. I am generally a very busy lady, running a household, a business from home, working part time out of the home as well as caring for my two children, 9months and 3yo. I have to agree with the others regarding the slow cooker, I have one and use it quite a bit, put it on in the morning and forget about it till tea time, saves me a bit of time on the days I use it. I found these two sites one day when just cruising the net, and, don't know if they will be any help with the cooking due to your allergies, but they have heaps of yummy things to cook.

As for the exercise one idea I recieved from a friend I've made on here was to during the day put the music on and just dance around the lounge like a crazy lady while my children joined in and/or watched on. Turned out to be great advice, the kids love it, giggling their heads off at me and it is an awesome workout and a great laugh. Thanks GayleMarie for that tip. Being both limited by time and living in an isolated rural area, I did not have gyms etc available to me and so for exercise I walk around our footy oval at least every second day, I walk round it with my younger one in the pram while my 3 yo plays on the playground there (the playground is surrounded by a childproof security fence and so I know she can't get out and I can see her as I walk around the oval). It works for all of us as I get my exercise, DD gets a play at the park and DS enjoys the fresh air outside and sometimes a nice little catnap in the pram. I also have a WiiFit and use it each day for a minimum of 30 mins but most days I am having so much fun that an hour or more can pass before I realise it, good fun workout.

The biggest thing I have found extremely helpful is the support and advice of all the wonderful members here. These people have been so welcoming, warm and friendly and best of all they are all so inspirational. I draw alot of my motivation from their stories and successes.

Good Luck Kellie, I hope you find the help and support you need here and we will all enjoy following your journey to your goal.

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did

Postby KellieDH » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi All

Thanks for your tips so far, the slow cooker idea sounds good I will definately look into it.

Postby glam1 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:50 am

Hi kellie welcome.
I too vouch for the slow cooker- also i cook a bit extra and freeze , then i have some ready made meals for lunches :D . Allergies must s#$% but cooking from scatch can be extremly healthy. I found areal time saver was shoving the cookbooks at hubby getting him to choose 4 meals then thats dinner done i write the shopping list and the other meals are the roast and meat with salad. Now i dont have to think of *dread* whats for dinner cos it's all done.Plus hubbies really happy.

15months is a difficult age for exercising not quite as portable as little one. In toowoomba we have access to free tennis courts the little ones can play while the adults play tennis or do sprints cardio etc.
Also dvds can come in handy.
walkin or bike riding- my daughter was born on a bike (not literally) but they have child carriers, I have a friend and she started a walking group once a week with other mothers and after the kids get to play.
maybe check out the community centre andstart a new hobby they often have dance classes etc on once a week for a low cost, then you could have a fun break while hubby has the daughter , which helps you toward your goal.

lets us no how you get on kellie- good luck :D

Postby onthedecrease » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Hey Kellie,

The girls have had some great advice for you! The slow cooker is a definate god send for all those with time constraints. My tips would be;

Grab the 4ingredients or less cook books theres 2 and a gluten free one if you cant have gluten- not only are the quick and easy but they are deliciously healthy and are all made from scratch just about- the mums that did the books have a strong focus on using all natural foods and trying to cut out the junk like additives ect.

If you cant make it to the gym perhaps considering investing in the wii/wii fit- I cant speak highly enough for the wii fit half an hour a day can bring huge results in my first month of having the wii fit I lost 11kg just using that and watching my diet. They are great because you can pull it out when you have the free time and your done for the day- there are also lots of other great exercise based games availble for the wii but the wii fit is a great starting point. Im now at the gym and I owe it all to my wii fit It was my saviour pretty much.

Check out the local library for exercise dvds- free to use and you can do it when it suits you.

Hope this helps- best of luck to you :D

Postby qldhighway » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:11 pm

Hey Kellie,

I don't think I can add much to the already long list of brilliant ideas, but I do have 1 thing that might help.

Just cause a meal comes from the freezer doesnt mean its bad, It just means that you cooked it the day/s before. I have a pretty busy life myself and when I know I am going to be short on time I cook meals for a few days and freeze them for a quick reheat. Call it lazy or whatever but it works for me sometimes.

Take Care

Return to Introductions