It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 am

Free Newsletter

Newbie from the ACT

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie from the ACT

Postby Dxenion » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:04 am

Hi all,

I've been browsing for online weight loss support for some time, now am finally taking the plunge because of the openness and positive tone of the people here. A number of other sites seem plagued by people who's only goal seems to be to make those that want to lose weight feel bad about themselves. I think weight loss has got alot to do with a positive mindset, right?

Firstly, I'm so relieved that all the things I've been thinking and feeling are common thoughts amongst everyone here. Things like avoiding going clothes shopping because of the frustration and humiliation it creates, avoiding a social life or visiting family interstate because you're worried about what people may say afterwards behind your back, avoiding certain types of exercise (is there such a thing as pool trauma?) because it means showing way more of your body than you're comfortable with, and the list goes on.

I've felt so alone for so long and felt that no one understands that I dont have a cupboard full of 'bad' foods or live on takeaway. They dont understand the affects that rotating shift work has on every aspect of your life and think that you're just making excuses.

I've also joined TheBiggestLoser.com.au online club and will be following their program too. Has anyone else tried this?

I am so looking forward to meeting and chatting with you all here.
Dxenion

Postby Dolly » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:58 am

Hi Dxenion, welcome to the forum.
Feel alone no more, we're your new family.
Dolly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:18 am

Dxenion

welcome to the group :) you will definately find motivation here to keep you going with your weightlosses :) are you male or female?? i wasnt sure by your message thats all :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:17 pm

Hello Dxenion and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing your feelings with us and yes we have felt most if not all of them. The last time I went clothes shopping was awesome as I could pick out what I wanted and not worry if they even had my size. My husband was happy at how happy I was when I got home and did the fashion parade for him to check out the new clothes. Too many times I have come home depressed.

Anyway don't forget to check out the home page, there is heaps of info there and tools to help track, measure, diarise etc if you think that sort of thing will help.

Best of luck on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Garfield » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:00 pm

OMG! Someone else from the ACT! Woohoo!
LOL, I know pool trauma. I loved swimming as a child and then as a teenager I hated it and refused to go to the pool.
Good luck with everything.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:35 pm

Hi Dxenison and welcome to the forum!
I think weight loss is not just about a positive mind set...it depands on it! Far from losing weight increasing my mood and self esteem, I found the happier I became with myself for who I am, the more I was able to do the things I needed to do to lose the weight!
I wish you all the best of luck!
Cheers
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dxenion » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:25 pm

Thanks to you all.

You've made a huge difference in my life, just by altering the way I look at things. Although I have the support of professionals (fitness instructor, dietician and counsellor), nothing beats yakking to those who have (or are) going through the same thing.

Already my hubby groans when I mention another 'tip' from weightloss.com.au!
Dxenion

Postby Dolly » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:14 pm

lol :lol:
Dolly

Return to Introductions