It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:01 am

Free Newsletter

any help would be very welcome

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

any help would be very welcome

Postby shellexx1 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:28 am

hi, im shelle, new to this site and have alot of reading thru to do. i am 8 stone overweight and have tried every fad diet going. my biggest sins are bread and coffee, u can forget chocolate give me a baggette any day!!
i have just joined a local gym and am itching to get on the treadmill, if nothing else, there
so... any tips, food suggestions, or even someone to 'work' with, would be great!! i have so far to go that it almost feels hopeless, so any encouragement would also be good. im going to browse thru now, to get as many ideas as poss
hope to hear from you soon
shelle x
shellexx1

Postby shelleykay » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:07 am

Hi everyone

I am Shelley also LOL...5 stone overweight....ditto to all of the above..

But whats wrong with coffee?

Maybe we can spur each other along...

Hope to hear from you soon

:D
shelleykay

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:10 am

Hello Shelle and welcome to the forum.

Well you will certainly find support here and plenty of advice and/or experience.

There are a lot of tools and information on the home page
:arrow: http://www.weightloss.com.au so be sure to check it out. There are also healthy recipes and tips for losing weight as well as info on different types of exercise programs.

We are all on different plans here and still seem to get along and respect each others ways but that also means there is a wealth of experience on different ways of losing weight. The trick is to find what works best for you.

I wish you the best on your weight loss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:28 am

Hi shelle
welcome to the group and good luck on your weightloss journey. im sure with a change of lifestyle you will get to your goal weight :) feel free to join in on any conversation and weekly weigh ins. we arent here to judge you :) keep your chin up and im looking forward to reading your progress :)

p.s. drink 2 litres of water a day- it helps remove toxins!!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:35 am

Hello Shellykay and welcome to the forum.

Crikey! Two shelleys in one day.

Feel free to join in on the challenges and weigh in the more the merrier.

Good luck on your weight loss journey. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:44 am

oh i didnt realise there were two shelleys! that just went over my head haha welcome to shelley number 2!
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:48 am

Hello Shellies :lol:

Best of luck with your weight loss. This is a great forum, with heaps of friendly and supportive people to help you along the way :D

Re coffee, I found a few things wrong with it, unfortunately as I love coffee... some info to start you off here :arrow: Coffee!
Basically, it messes around with your blood sugar levels and stress levels, which makes it a bit harder to control your eating I guess. I think this is the reason why some diet plans recommend no caffeine at all :shock: I've gone back to my bare minimum, just one coffee and one tea per day, which is great.
SarahC

Postby shelleykay » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:33 am

Hi guys and thanks for the welcome

I'm not sure that coffee does that to me, when I was younger I drank heaps and was very skinny...but since I have given up smoking and got older I drink de-caf anyway as any thing with caffiene after 4pm for me I dont sleep a wink!

Thanks for the welcome I truly need help to do this...Ihave tried every diet, diet pill, diet drink there is going...it is totally emotional for me and I just dont know what to do...I dont eat take way, cakes, etc...since I quit smoking I ate heaps put on 20 kilos and now it just wont budge I dont go up (luckily) but I dont go down either...exercise 3 times per week too..

I'm at a loss :roll:
shelleykay

Postby Ally » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:37 pm

Hello there new Shellies, a big welcome to you both!! We are a great bunch, with all the same goal in mind...to become fitter and healthier!! We are all on different weight loss programs etc here. It is just a matter of finding one that suits you. Have fun and happy slimming!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dolly » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi Shelle, welcome to the forum.
Dolly

Postby Melie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:49 pm

shelleykay wrote:Hi guys and thanks for the welcome

I'm not sure that coffee does that to me, when I was younger I drank heaps and was very skinny...but since I have given up smoking and got older I drink de-caf anyway as any thing with caffiene after 4pm for me I dont sleep a wink!

Thanks for the welcome I truly need help to do this...Ihave tried every diet, diet pill, diet drink there is going...it is totally emotional for me and I just dont know what to do...I dont eat take way, cakes, etc...since I quit smoking I ate heaps put on 20 kilos and now it just wont budge I dont go up (luckily) but I dont go down either...exercise 3 times per week too..

I'm at a loss :roll:

I know how you feel on that one...except I don't smoke and rarely drink alcohol...I have grown a taste for coffee [but the REAL stuff, not the instant crap] but don't have it too often.

Coffee isn't as bad as some people think. Sure it isn't the best, but it does keep your heart rate going because of the caffeine and extra heart and energy burning means that your body is working a little bit harder to lose a bit of weight...or rather, fat.

I'm a sucker for persistance. As crap as I may feel about being overweight at times, I work twice as hard in terms of exercise to get over that hump.

I find that the best time to work out is when you feel like poo [whether it be physically or mentally].

Since being at the gym and working out a lot, I haven't lost weight, nor have I really lost any dress sizes but I have become more fit than I ever was, more flexible than ever and stronger as well. This means that not only am I bulking the muscle, but also toning and defining as well.

I remember one season of baseball, I couldn't even run across the oval [about 400 metres] without stopping for breath, but by the end of the season, I could run around the oval twice [and that was all without say 3/4 months]. Now is a bit of a different story, but I'm sure if I had a place to run, I just might take it up. And no, not the treadmill thanks, there's more impact on those machines than running on gravel...not good for the back.

Anyway, I best be off now...

xo

Good luck with everything!!!
Melie

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Hi ShelleyKay a couple of things to think on.

You mentioned you don't eat take-away, cakes etc. How is your portion size? Could it be you are eating well but just too much food? Too much of anything even healthy options will help to put on weight. For the average person not withstanding any medical constraints that could cause difficulties with weight loss you need to burn more energy than you consume to lose weight.

Also how is your water intake, I've heard it said that this is very important for weight loss (don't know the technicalities of that but I'm sure someone will have the info). Even to the extent of some plans stating you won't have the same results without consuming at least 2lts per day.

Lastly and I just know y'all are gonna hate me for this one and remember this is only one opinion. If you seriously want to use exercise to assist with weight loss look at upping it to 4-5 days per week for at least 30 mins per session and doing some weight training if you're not already. Please, please don't stop if you're not doing this much I don't want to put anyone off as any exercise is beneficial and your body loves it even if you don't. Ok you can stone me now. :D

Oh and for those trying this at home...remember if new to exercise start of slowly and build yourself up.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby shellexx1 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:49 pm

thankyou all for the welcome and support.
the latest diet i have tried was low gi, but as i hate salads and love pasta (and bread) i didnt do too well.
i do drink de-caf the problem there being, is that they are usually lattes, and not always with skimmed milk. i did weigh myself this morning and got a bit of a shock. not sure about converting between stones, pounds and kilograms, but i was 18stone 7 lbs, the heaviest ive ever been.
big step for me today, 2 bottles of water (not drunk any for 6weeks) and swapped my lattes for plain white coffee! so feeling a bit more positive than i did this morning :D
shellexx1

Postby Ally » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:55 am

Hey Shelley to convert stones to kilos you multiply the stones by 14 and then divide it by 2.2. So to work out your weight:

18.7 x 14 = 261.8 pounds

261.8 / 2.2 = 119 kilos

I hope this is a help to you
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:19 pm

Hi and welcome!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Next

Return to Introductions