It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:15 pm

Free Newsletter

It's time for Pouchy to go......

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

It's time for Pouchy to go......

Postby Boodi and LJ's Mummy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have been cruising around for a couple of months on this forum, just checking out how everyone else is going and I have to say it is so very inspiring!

I am a Mum of two boys aged 2 and 4 and my body is just not co-operating with me. I put on 32kg with my first pregnancy and almost 20kg with the second one. After two c sections I have accumulated what looks like a pouch that hangs over where the scar is. (Its probably really common) This has affectionately become known as pouchy. Pouchy has a mind of its own, it jiggles about when I walk and it keeps moving long after I have stopped giggling. :oops: It has made me very self conscious.

I have managed to lose pretty much all of the weight I put on whilst pregnant and am now hovering about 6kg off my goal weight which is 64kg. I realise I am not too much overweight but on my 162cm frame the 70kg does look a bit bulky.

So I just wanted to see if there were any more "pouchy's" out there and see how other people are going about reducing them. I fit in an hour of high energy aerobics 5-6 mornings a week and do some free weights on my arms and one of those thigh toner contraptions during the tv ad breaks in the evenings. I am not a fan of situps etc so have been avoiding them in the hope that the cardio will help reduce the pouch but it just doesnt want to shift. AAARRRGGHHH !!!

I also drink just over 2 litres of water a day and only one coffee in the morning, no alcohol and a fairly strict low fat diet with heaps of vegies. I admit that the diet is realxed most weekends so that may be seriously sabotaging my efforts :roll:

It would be great to hear from some others who have been or are currently in the same situation!
Boodi and LJ's Mummy

Re: It's time for Pouchy to go......

Postby Shay » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi hi!

I've never had kids, but i'm also 162cm and around 72kgs. I not only have a tummy pouchy, but a hip pouchy, bum pouchy, legs pouchy and with time i'm sure i'll develop boobie pouchies too! :lol:
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby Boodi and LJ's Mummy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi Shay,

Thanks for replying! This week I have really tried to be super strict with the diet and am doing the housework and stuff with real get up and go, on top of my regular aerobics. Running around after our sons helps as well, I am hoping this will help to shift some of the pouch :D Of course it doesn't help with the silly season fast approaching! I just have to walk past all those rumballs and christmas puddings and they stick straight to my tummy.

Before I had our boys I weighed around 60kg but I found I looked a bit thin. To get to 64-65kg would be soooooooo good! After losing over 50 kg after the pregnancies through diet and exercise losing this last 5kg seems just as hard :roll:
Boodi and LJ's Mummy

Postby skinny on the inside » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi there, :)

I can relate to the pouch!! I'm 165cm tall & weighed 60kg when I got pregnant with my son who is my first child. I also put on 30kg when pregnant & had an emergency c-section after a 15 hour labour. I'm currently 87kg :oops: . I feel trapped inside my body (hence my user name). My blubby tummy gets in the way!! I was rocking my son to sleep the other night and he was laying against my tummy and I had to actually lift the roll of fat up as he was pressing on it and it was hurting....OMG :cry: I'm only really starting my weight loss journey & don't do anywhere near the exercise you do so I don't have any advice (as yet) as to how to shift the pouch but I know what's it's like to have one. If I have another child it's quite likely that I will need another c-section but I am NOT going to put on that much weight. Good luck to you. :)
New starting weight: 94.1 kg
First goal: to get under 90 kg's
Next goal: 85 kg by end of Feb
Short term goal: 70 kg by end of Jun
Long term goal: 60 kg by X-Mas

skinny on the inside

Postby Boodi and LJ's Mummy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi Skinny On The Inside!

I know what you mean about lifting the pouch up, I had the same thing happen to me when my boys were younger and needed to be rocked to sleep. Now they are a bit older they sometimes use it as a pillow when we are laying around watching a movie or something together, they say its comfy but I still wish it wasn't there!

My first c section was an emergency one as well though I wasnt in labour for as long as you were, that must have been so draining. I cant imagine what you were going through. The first couple of days in the hospital after the operation are horrendous , would you agree? Just sitting up and trying to walk all hunched over, I thought if I stood up straight all the stitches/staples would come undone and I would spill out all over the place! :shock: In saying that you would do it all again in a heartbeat for your baby's safety.

When our boys were still very young I didnt set a specific weight loss goal as free time is so rare! I just took one day at a time and tried to make the best food choices each day. As they got to around the 1 year mark I started to incorporate some exercise on the elliptical trainer at night when they went to sleep. Not much, just 15-20 mins to start off with and increased it as I got a bit fitter. It took the 2 years between each of them being born to lose the weight so it wasnt a quick thing. No fad diets here, the old Cadbury Dairy Milk still made regular appearances :lol:

I wish you all the luck for your weight loss! I am here and I usually check out the forum every couple of days or so, so if you need to have a chat just drop me a line!

Cheers :D
Boodi and LJ's Mummy

Postby skinny on the inside » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi again,

Yes the 15 hour labour was draining but I would have happily kept going to have a natural birth. Bubs was doing fine but he was just too big to come out the normal way LOL. I'm hoping that it will only take me 6 - 8 months to lose the weight but I'm having so much trouble getting started. My son is 17 months old & sometimes I beat myself up that I haven't lost the weight already. I feel like I've missed out on so many experiences being a new Mum because I'm embarrassed to go anywhere or do anything because of how I look. I'm going to hire a cross trainer soon to use at home when bubs is asleep. I usually have a look around the forum everyday so I'll 'see' you around. :)

skinny on the inside

Postby Boodi and LJ's Mummy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:17 am

The cross trainer is a great idea, even if you can only fit in a few minutes a day, you will start to notice the changes to your body quickly. Ahh 17 months! Its such a beautiful age, they really start to show their character around that time. I was feeling the same as you and I used to stay home as well, just too embarrassed to get out and about. No clothes in my cupboard looked any good, and I generally just felt pretty crappy. (Actually I still wear my maternity 3/4 jeans now as my jelly belly pouch fits quite nicely in them. :roll:)

I stopped buying magazines after I had our boys, it helped me a lot as I was getting quite depressed reading about all these celebrites with pancake flat tummies 3 months after giving birth. :twisted: Dont beat yourself up over not losing the weight quickly. Do you have any playgroups in your area? I used to take my boys when they were around your sons age and I loved talking to all the other Mums who were in the same boat as me and most were still carrying their baby weight. It helped me to see that it wasnt just me who was struggling.

Good Luck with the cross trainer, 6-8 months is a good timeframe to lose the weight in a healthy way . You can do it!!! :D
Boodi and LJ's Mummy

Postby skinny on the inside » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi again,

Yes there are plenty of playgroups in my area. I have a regular one I go to at the moment but the other Mums' don't have any baby weight to lose..sigh!! I don't like to talk about my weight to people who don't have weight issues because they just say stupid things like "you don't need to lose weight, you look fine" & don't worry about it, you're a Mum now, you've got other things to worry about". In response to the first comment...well, yes I do need to lose weight, 30kg in fact as I am officially obese. To the second comment...yes I am a Mum now but that doesn't mean that it's ok to abuse myself which is basically what I'm doing. Anyway, blah blah blah. I hope you have been doing well this week. :)

skinny on the inside

Return to Introductions