It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:08 am

Free Newsletter

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Postby Chrissy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:18 pm

I have just found this site and am totally amazed that this is out there and available to us all from our PC's (okay I don't surf the net a lot hey, and have never been in a forum))

I am out of control with my weight and need help. I have tried every diet known to man kind, most drugs and still I'm slowly getting bigger and bigger. This makes me so depressed and then all I do is eat more - I'm sure you can relate.

I see some amazing results on this web site, on Sureslim and ultra lite and other programs. I am going to ask THE stupidiest question - what should I do? Which one will really work for me? Do I waste yet more money on programs that don't suit me, are impractical, expensive, unhealthy or leave me starving.

Can someone please answer the million dollar question - which one really works and is sane, sensible and practable, healthy and keeps the weight off.

I know it is a whole lifestyle change, and I have to get my head right.

So tell me - dietitian, doctor, Terry White, drugs, sureslim, 'just doing what we all know is right'???

Your input is appreciated and I promise to get on the program, I am running out of clothes to wear. I weighed 127lbs when I got married and am now 100kg (27 years later) I only started to put weight on 10 years ago.

Speak to you soon

Chrissy
Chrissy

Postby Dolly » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:40 pm

Hi Chrissy, welcome to the forum.
We've all been through a barrage of diets trying to find the one magical one that will work for us.
Unfortunately they all involve cutting down the amount of calories that we have been stuffing into our mouths, so whichever one you choose won't be easy.

I guess the best diet would contain a balance from each food group at each meal so you don't end up craving something.

1 palm sized protein serve - meat, 2 eggs, fish or chicken
1 metric cup measure of a wholegrain - rice, pasta, buckwheat or bread
1 cup of fruit
1 cup of vegetables - tomatoes, mushrooms or spinach etc..
1 glass of skim milk or low fat yoghurt for calcium
1 teaspoon of healthy fat - olive oil or logical or pro-active margarine.

Drinking 2 litres of water every day and
doing some form of exercise are known to speed weight-loss.

How to copy and paste a ticker graph
Last edited by Dolly on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dolly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:47 pm

Hi there Chrissy

unfortunately you wont know what works for you until you try them! its trial and error. which can be a bummer. but basically cut out the junk and up the good stuff. especially water!! welcome to the group and i hope after doing some research on different programs etc u can work out which suits you better :)

good luck :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Garfield » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:57 pm

Different things work for different people.
The cheapest way to go about it is the way I'm going - eat more green stuff and less chocolate stuff. The problem with this is knowing how much to eat of what and whether you're getting enough vitamins and stuff. That's something I haven't gotten right yet.
I think the important thing, whatever way you choose to go about this, is to stick with it for long enough to see if it's right for you or not. Usually you won't know if it's right after only a few days (with some exceptions). Pick something and stick with it a few weeks, see what happens.
Good luck in finding the right diet.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby KimE » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:23 pm

Hello Chrissy and welcome to the forum.

Which diet? That is the million dollar question. Dolly has given some really great tips there.

You do need to find what is right for you and what you can realistically do. Hopefully whatever it is you find it will become a lifestyle change as that is what is ultimately going to help you keep the weight off. Losing weight takes effort and commitment and no matter what anyone says it's not easy. So stick with whatever you find and give a good go but if it's not for you then try something else. The home page has plenty of tips and tools to help out and also maybe reading the exercise and food diaries may give you some ideas too.

Whatever you choose I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby MagicGirl79 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi Chrissy,

I agree with what the others have said also and it's different for everyone, but to give my program a plug...

I'm on weight watchers. Started the program in 2005 and have been on it since. I love it because it's not a "diet", it really is a lifestyle change. I have learnt so much about food by being on it and my entire eating habits have changed. They now have 2 different programs you can follow, points and no count. They both have positives and negatives - I can give more info on these if you want.

One of the biggest drawbacks about WW is the cost factor, but me personally, I'm happy to fork out $18 a week for the accountability. And a lot of other programs actually cost heaps more than that anyway.

Hope this has helped a little...
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Ally » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:25 pm

Lifestyle change is the key, not dieting matey..trust me I dieted for 15 years and ended up bigger than each time I came "off" a diet. I choose to follow a healthy eating plan that is sustainable for life!! I hope you find some thing that works for you, unfortunately as we can all atest to, there is no magic pill or potion, it comes down to hard work and grit determination to succeed in changing our lives for the best. 8)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby jodie259 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:18 pm

Hi Chrissy

Welcome to the forum and I hope you can find the support and encouragement you need to change your life.

Everyone has given you good advice.. and weightloss is basically about input & exersion. But it's a lot easier to say that than do it... especially after a lifetime of habits. But it's never to late!!

Like Kate (magicgirl) - I'm a Weight Watchers fan. I started two weeks ago after giving birth to a baby 17 weeks ago. Like Kate, I'm also happy to answer any questions you may have about the programme as I am a 'helper' at the meetings.

Some of the programmes people are on give quick results using shakes & soups. Some people need the quick result to be encouraged. And some only have a few kilos to lose. But I don't believe that you can drink shakes & soups long term. And it took years to put on weight, and I think it is healthiest to lose it at a steady, healthy pace. As a beauty therapist I have seen some people who have lost a lot of weight quickly and their body has suffered because the skin could not restore as quickly as the weightloss. But I don't want to diss any programme as I think that any results are better than putting on weight.

$18 a week is not a lot to pay, as you would definately save $18 on the extra food you would normally eat. You would probably save money by making better food choices. There are no 'banned' foods on the WW plan. If you have a favourite treat, WW encourages you to "be good" for the other meals so that you can have treats. There is no contracts or commitments with WW. If you have good willpower or you live in rural area, you can do WW from home. Personally I love going to the meetings and getting the support... and I find the weekly weighin keeps me accountable. But you don't have to sit in on the meetings if you don't want to, and your weight is kept private. Only you and the weigher will know what your weight is.

I'm sorry I'm rambling on...

You should investigate as many options as possible. You should consider your lifestyle, your finances, your time, your commitment, the reasons you are overweight, what you think you need to lose weight....

Whatever you choose to do, we are here to help you out! You've made a step in the right direction by coming here. It's just one step at a time. (talking of steps - walking is the best exercise!).
Mum of 2
Shaun born 27/05/06 & Shelli born 26/11/07
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHe6RPO/]
[/url]
jodie259

Postby carlton » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:49 am

Welcome Christy and good luck with your weight journey.
carlton

Return to Introductions