It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Free Newsletter

Hey Everyone

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hey Everyone

Postby Adam » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:59 pm

My name is Adam and I am 20 years old. I am 6' 3" and weigh in at an astonishing 166 kilo's.

Over the course of the last three years I once had my weight down from 177 to 140 but through some times of stress and a litany of other excuses that I could reel off until dawn, I have somehow ballooned back out to 166.

As you may be able to tell by my writing above, I am somewhat down on myself from my years of excuses and broken promises. So I decided to take the plunge and join a group that I hope can support my problem and help me get down to the me I feel I should be.

My goal is 110 kilos from which I want to weight train but I seem to be having enough trouble losing one Kilo, let alone the 56 I need to get to that weight.

Any help and support will be terrific and any practical advice would be a great help.

Re: Hey Everyone

Postby miss_viva » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:36 am

Hi Adam, and welcome :)

Congratulations on taking the first step and joining us here at the forum, I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful and supportive people around here!

Well done on managing to lose 37kgs in the past, that was an incredible achievement. Even though you've put some of that back on, at least you're not back at your heaviest weight, and you've taken action now to prevent that from happening. It also shows that in the past, you found something that worked for you that enabled you to lose that weight - the key is getting back into the right frame of mind and starting to do that again!

What did you do to lose 37kgs? Were you following a particular program? Exercising? Watching what you eat?

My advice to you would be:

1. Use this forum for support, motivation and accountability!

2. Go to - if you haven't seen this, it's a great site that allows you to enter your age, heigh and weight details (for free) and then it tells you how many calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. It also has a massive datebase of different foods/drinks, so you can look everything up and check exactly how many calories you are consuming each day. Sometimes there are lots of hidden calories in things we think are good for us.

3. If you're not too sure about what you should be eating, consider talking to someone about it. You could see a doctor, nutritionist, or even just post a sample of what you think is a good meal plan for a day, and have other people give you feedback on it.

4. Look at incorporating exercise into your new healthy lifestyle. Find something that you enjoy doing, it makes it so much easier! For weight loss, focus mainly on cardio activities - walking is a good option to start with. I found a walking path near my house, and I used to walk the hour circuit a few times a week, and it really helped kickstart my initial weight loss. Walking is low impact, and still gives you a good workout too. Aim to increase your distance and speed as you get fitter.

5. DON'T GIVE UP! Everybody screws up at times, and goes on a binge at times. You just have to STOP yourself as soon as possible, put it behind you and move on. Get back on track and back to your normal healthy eating plan. One bad meal/day won't have too much of an impact, but a whole week of binge eating will!

6. Consider breaking down your weight loss into mini goals - it makes it seem much less daunting. Instead of focusing on losing 56kgs, try making a mini goal such as getting back into the 150s. When you get to that, aim for 155kgs and so on. Losing 5kgs at a time seems much easier than losing 56kgs!

Well that's about all I can think of for now, good luck with your weightloss journey! I look forward to seeing your progress. Shout out if you need anything :)

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs

Return to Introductions