It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:38 pm

Free Newsletter

Starting the Challenge of Weight Loss

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Should I use vitamins or just portion control?

Vitamins are Great to get Started!
15%
Portion Control is the only way!
85%

Total votes : 13

Starting the Challenge of Weight Loss

Postby adamonearth.com » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi Everyone,
I hope you are all well.

I am going to start off by saying a little about me, I am a 21 year old male from Melbourne.

I have been overweight the majority of my life and I say majority, as I have lost weight only to put the weight on again.
I need to lose 40kgs desperately and have just joined the gym, and started going today.

While talking to a friend, he noted that it might be best I do something to help motivate my weight loss, like make it public, that I am starting to lose weight, to intensify the pressure.

So that’s why I am here, to try and get the support of as many people as I can. I know I can do it, I just need to keep my motivation and energy up at all times.

Have any of you had any luck with vitamins or any thing like that? What you recommend in the early stages of a weight loss program?

Thanks and wish me luck!
Weight Loss
adamonearth.com

Postby Mandie » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:42 pm

well done adam.

Making it public is one of the best things you can do, really makes you accountable!

I wish you the best of luck on your journey to a healthier lifestyle!

If you need support, advice, motivation, or just someone to chat to, I've found these forums really great! Feel free to pm as well if you have any questions or whatever.

Oh, I've found the "daily weight loss pledge" a great part of the forum.. I feel SO guilty that I HAVE to carry it out!
Mandie

Postby Ally » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:54 am

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on choosing to do something about your weight! You will find plenty of support here...feel free to jump in on any challenges that are offered here, they help to keep you motivated. You will also notice there is a personal progress section to start your own progress and even a confessional!!!

You will find that we are differ in how we have chosen to lose weight, so you will certainly get a variety of different answers to "what should you do to lose weight".

I have found that for me, I eat healthy and (try to) exercise. I am not on a diet and I give my self a "day off" each week (on my weigh day) to have whatever I choose. I find this works as there is many a time I will not overindulge at all. There are times when still eat 80% healthy for that day anyway and have a few treats. I know that I can have takeaway on this day too, if I feel like it. I also know that if I want to have chocolate, chips or anything junky like that, my day off is when I can do it. (Now having said that I occasionally lose the plot and just have bad day/s, but I just pick myself up and dust the crumbs off my mouth and the next meal that I have is a healthy one!!)

Sorry if I have rambled, but I hope this is a help to you. I look forward to seeing you around the forum!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:57 am

Hi adam
welcome to the group :) feel free to join in with any of the threads and challenges, theyre motivating and the weekly weigh in is helpful in that you are accountable to us each week!! hehe. well done for biting the bullet and doing something about your weight. all i can suggest is that weightloss programs and suplements will work for some people but not for others, so the best thing to do is to do a bit of research on different programs and products and see which would work for you. :) have a look at what you eat and what you can cut out too. like i was drinking oke everyday so i cut that out, and limited my carbs as they always made me bloated and yuck. these thigns made a big difference to me. i also started drinking 2litres+ of water a day which i have never done (not since i was pregnant). keep us posted with how you are progressing :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:53 am

Hello Adam and welcome to the forum.
Well done on your decision to a healthier you. You will find plenty of support and motivation here. We have challenges and diaries to join in with if you feel comfortable. Also the :arrow: home page has plenty of great info too so be sure to check it out as some of the tips and tools are very helpful.

I think you poll was a very interesting one too. Personally I think portion control is very important but not the only way as I believe it is a part of a whole series of things that help with weight loss. A good balance of vitamins and minerals is equally important for a healthy body whether you choose to get them from eating a good variety of healthy foods from all the food groups or adding supplements in the form of shakes, tablets or whatever. Cutting out as much junk food as you can, exercising, setting realistic goals are other strategies that can assist. Overall you need to find what works best for you and your goals. Joining the gym (or doing any exercise) is an excellent start I always think.

There is a :arrow: link here that talks about supplements that you may find interesting.

I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Chrissy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 pm

Welcome Adam

Good luck mate - you can do it. Just go one day at a time.

Regards

Chrissy
Chrissy

Postby adamonearth.com » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Thanks for all the support.

I headed over to GNC Health today and purchased a product called Optidrene. Helps "mobilise fat cells into energy" sounds promising anyway.

Took the first 2 capsules before the gym and did notice an improvement in my energy levels. Only time will tell.

Will keep you updated!
Weight Loss
adamonearth.com

Postby adamonearth.com » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:36 pm

I had a bad on Thursday. I ate a BBQ, and I felt so sick afterwards.

Woke up on Friday with bad stomach cramps and my day at work was not too fun at all!

I did get back on track though and realise that even if I do eat out I have to watch it and stick to healthier options.

It is a matter of me over eating.

I started a blog of my weight loss, I don't think we can post links in the forum if we can, let me know and I will post it otherwise send me a PM on the site and I will provide it to you. Has images and a daily update.

Thanks for the support again!
Weight Loss
adamonearth.com

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:29 pm

hi adam
im sure you can probably post your link in a message and people on here can view it at their own leisure. sorry you had fallen off the wagon with the bbq. portion sizes make a big difference huh. but its good you are back on course, keep us updated, best wishes!
kate_turner2000

Postby Fairie » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum.

My problem is portion control and that is why I believe it is so important. I also take a multivitamin too.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:15 am

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum! Good luck with the weight loss!
I wouldn't say either vitamins or portion control are the single and only solution, but I'd say both may help (depending on how you managed to get overweight to start with)!!

Hope to see you in the forum!
Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:21 am

Oh yeah BBQ's I am still trying to get the hang of them myself Adam, I always eat more than I should at them grrrrrr!! Glad you are back on track though.

The best people to answer your question about posting your blog here would be either admin or the moderators. I think there is a space for it in your profile too.

Keep up the good work!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby adamonearth.com » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:56 am

Hey,

Ok thanks for the tip Ally, there is a to post the web address in the profile!

It is now under each of my posts as the 'WWW' icon.

Thanks!
Weight Loss
adamonearth.com

Postby adamonearth.com » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:01 am

Hey Guys,

I lost 2.2kgs on my first week!!!

I know it will probably be a fair bit of fluid etc that I lost, but still happy with it.

It only motivated me anymore.

Hope your all going well!

Checkout the website got further updates on there.
Weight Loss
adamonearth.com

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:09 am

hi adam

thats wonderful im glad it is motivating you to continue. i know seeing a loss is very encouraging :) keep up the great work, will have a squiz at your website :)
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Introductions