It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:27 am

Free Newsletter

I'm new and I need help!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm new and I need help!

Postby achiruel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:08 am

Hi I'm new here. I am a 35 year old male of 182cm (approx 6') weighing 109kg.

I really want to lose weight but my biggest problem is I don't seem to be able to stop eating. I just eat excessively all the time, as an example for breakfast this morning I had a large bowl of cereal (oat flakes) 2 slices of bread with peanut butter (thickly spread) a bread roll with a sausage and tomato sauce on it a banana and 2 Kellog's fruit twist bars.

I also eat lots of junk food like potato chips, Maccas, KFC, HJ, Red Rooster, pizza, lollies etc.

My wife is always giving me crap about what I eat and I know she's right but I just feel so out of control for some reason and don't know how to stop. I know I would lose heaps of weight if I could just stop eating so much junk.

If someone could point me in the direction of how to get help I would appreciate it so much...

Re: I'm new and I need help!

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:35 am

No worries, Achiruel. We're here to help!

Why do you eat so much? Is it because you are genuinely hungry? Is it out of habit? Is it because you're bored? Are there emotional reasons? Or is it just because you like food too much? Do you eat too quickly?

I know I eat an awful lot and it's almost always because I'm hungry and I eat quickly. If that's your problem too then I have a couple of tips that may help. Firstly, eat very slowly. Really savour your food. It takes 20 minutes for the chemicals in the gut to tell the brain that you are full. If you eat quickly by the time you realise you're full you've already over-eaten! Another tip would be to try more protein with your meals or try low GI foods. Both keep you feeling fuller for longer. Another tip I read was to have a thick low-calorie soup. It takes longer to pass through the stomach than the equivalent amounts of water and solid food, so you will feel fuller for longer.

If it is because you're bored, can you take up a hobby that prevents you from eating at the same time? Woodworking, knitting, art all make it difficult to snack while you're doing them. Maybe whenever you feel bored you could go for a walk (weather permitting) or use some hand-weights.

If it's because you really, really like the taste of food then try savouring it more. The first bite and the last bite always taste the best, so in theory you should only need three bits of a food just to satisfy taste. Unfortunately I'm a good cook so I love the taste of food, however I noticed that although I loved the taste, I was shovelling it down so fast I was barely tasting it! If you eat really slowly and truly savour the taste of your food you will need less to satisfy your taste-buds.

I'm not sure what to advise when it comes to emotional causes for eating. I know Dr Phil has a book out about that issue, but I haven't read it so I can't say whether it's good or not. If emotional issues are what's causing you to over-eat I'd recommend starting a thread about it in one of the other section of the forum.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Re: I'm new and I need help!

Postby nothing2lose » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Achiruel

Welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of people here in the same boat as you so I am sure you will be able to find the support you are looking for.

The first thing you should do is listen to Evil Wombat Queen! As a relative newcomer here, I have always found her posts to be helpful and knowledgeable.

Food addiction is like any other addiction. It is bloody hard to beat. But, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do other than make the decision to do something about it! It sounds harsh but there are no magic pills, formulas or wands you can wave that will make this easy.
So you have to -
a. admit you have a problem (which is what you have done!!)
b. decide to stop making excuses and commit to doing something about it. This means being prepared change your habits (really try, not just say you will and not do it!). That's not to say you have to be "perfect". Maybe start off by making some small changes to start (for a fortnight or two) and get your mind/body in the habit of looking for healthier choices.
My own partner had a real problem with snacking - chips and choc - before and after dinner. What he did was look for better substitutes that, while not totally healthy, were better options. (eg. air popped popcorn, rice crackers with low fat hummous, rice cakes, skinny cow ice cream). We no longer have chips or chocolate in the house.

The harsh reality is you cant eat those foods you listed (maccas, kfc, pizza) other than as a "sometimes" treat...and by sometimes I am talking once a month or less! But the good news is, once you cut back on them you will find you wont crave them as much.

One other thing that REALLY helps me is reading the other posts in this forum, as well as using other weight loss sites to educate myself about what I need to do. But more than that, it inspires me to do better, to keep going.

Also, in order to get motivated, try making a list of all the reasons you need to lose weight. What benefits will come of it? What will happen if you dont.

Maybe try shocking yourself into making healthy choices. Keep a food diary of everything you eat (including calorific/nutritional value). You may be freaked out by how much fat, salt, carbs, cals you are eating. Try and project how much weight you will put on if you continue to eat this way. Use the website as tool to do this. It is very handy and easy to use.

Anyway, there are some random thoughts which I hope will be of some use to you. The good news is there is lots of good, credible information out there. Seek it out and make informed decisions based on what you learn.

Anyhoo...good luck!

Hope to see you on the forums as you tackle this head on :)

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011

Return to Introductions