It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Free Newsletter

Hi

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi

Postby Darren » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I am 39 years old & have been carrying weight for about 15 years. I have recently begun to make a conscious effort to improve my health after being diagnosed with high blood pressure last year.

The main things I have done so far includes swapping a high pressure job for one not so stressfull, watching what I eat (including comfort eating) & exercising (spinning - exercise bike - classes 3 times per week for the last 3 months).

My weight loss has been slow, but since I started spinning I have lost 15cm from a combined measurement of my arm, chest & waist. My doctor says that I am putting muscle on from the exercise which is why the scales aren't showing much progress.

I lost 6kg's quickly after leaving my old job, then it has been slow going since. I guess I'm feeling a little flat at the moment which is probably why I've seeked out this forum. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Darren

Postby Ally » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:32 pm

Hi Darren and welcome to the forum....It is nice to see another male onboard!! (not that I am a male!! LOL) congratulations on your weight loss so far and I look forward to tracking your progress. Feel free to join in any of the challenges etc that you feel comfortable with!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:37 pm

Hi darren

it sounds like you have made some wonderful choices already. its nice to have you hear. feel free to join in any of the challenges, weigh ins and diaries. maybe you need to mix up your exercise by doing something different that your body wont expect? maybe walking or swimming etc etc. your body is probably in a rhythm at the moment that you need to mix up a bit :) best wishes for your weightloss journey
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi Darren, welcome to the forum! (this must be blokes month!!)

Cycling is a fantastic exercise (not that I'm biased :P ). It's a good cardio and low impact while also being good for strength! I cycle to and from work (well, at least when I'm not sick and when the weather's not shitty). I love it these days!!

Hope to see you in the forum!

Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:10 pm

It is great I think to see more blokes what do you reckon Tegan...we have some mates for Caveman!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dolly » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:26 pm

Hi Darren, welcome to the forum.
Perhaps portion control is the problem to the weight coming off so slowly. Many times we go on diets and because we are eating healthy, we think we can fill up on these foods.
Keep balancing your food input with your exercise expenditure until you find what starts working for your body type (everyone is different)
Dolly

Postby KimE » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Hello Darren and welcome to the forum.

You certainly will be building some strength in those legs. I noticed my legs began to tone up very quickly from walking alone and cycling is even better for the legs I would think. Maybe add some other type of exercise on the days you don't do spinning even if it's a brisk 30 min walk. Sounds like you are measuring body parts too and that is another good way to measure as opposed to the scales so you can see an improvement is happening. Don't give up mate. I'm 38 and was also carrying excess weight for a good 15 yrs probably more to be honest and now I am in my healthy weight range. If I can do it anybody can just keep your focus and stay strong with your food you will do it.

I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Darren » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:49 pm

Thanks everybody for your responses!

I will check out the rest of the site to see what else is on offer, the forum itself has given me a lift already. I'm new to this type of thing, like most males I guess prone to isolation & not reaching out for help.

For now,
Darren
[/url]
Darren

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:37 am

well we are glad to have you onboard darren :)
kate_turner2000

Postby LadyBug » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:34 am

It's great to have you here Darren.
xoxo ~Ali

[/url]
LadyBug

Postby Fairie » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi Darren, welcome aboard :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]