It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:19 am

Free Newsletter

I am new and I'm happy to be here

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

I am new and I'm happy to be here

Postby kirstenplotkin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum and I thought I’d first introduce myself. I’m a 69 year old retired grandmother. I was in business for many years and never had the opportunity to write seriously. Once I retired, around 7 years ago, that all changed. I’m now just as busy writing as I ever was in my business.

Ok, this is a weight loss forum so let me explain why I have chosen to join. When I was in my early 40’s I had some very minor surgery during which I suffered a cardiac arrest. Till then, I had never had a weight problem I couldn’t take care of in the gym. My heart issue caused a number of problems.

Within 3 months or the event, I realized I was gaining weight. I upped my visits to the gym but it was clear that although the weight was coming off, it was a lot harder to accomplish than I had experienced before. I went to the doctor to find out why and I was diagnosed with a thyroid condition. The doctor said that rather than depend on exercise I should visit a dietitian who would teach me a better, healthier way to eat. That’s when I really began to gain weight and for 20 years, despite regular exercise, and sticking to a diet, I very slowly, very gradually gained weight.

A little over 6 years ago I retired. I was 80 kilos by then and suffered the early symptoms of type2 diabetes. I finally had time to write and to think. The growing obesity that seemed to affect everybody around me didn’t make sense, particularly in light of events and facts I knew about, that went right back to my youth. I decided to ignore all the diets and the current diet philosophy and instead return to what was natural to me twenty years earlier.

Today, I don’t have a weight problem. I haven’t had a weight problem for more than six years. I also no longer suffer the symptoms of type2 diabetes. I think that’s a result important enough to earn me the right to tell people about it. So I have written a book which I hope to publish online very soon.

In the meantime I have created a little blog to tell people about my not so secret – secrets. I have also gone into video production, which I’m enjoying immensely. My grandkids are impressed and pretend interest in my weight loss story which they prefer to track on YouTube, rather than my blog. Who would have thought! I’m fast becoming a hero with the 9 -15 age group. Lol

I’ve joined this forum to help others. I know things nobody else talks about, and that suggests nobody else knows about it.
Not till you know and recognize the truth about a problem, can you be expected to successfully deal with it!
Kirsten Plotkin
kirstenplotkin

Return to Introductions