It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Free Newsletter

Im new..

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Im new..

Postby niksta » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:48 pm

G'Day all
I'm new here, and wanting to lose some weight.. Im 22 and embrassed with my weight and dislike how fat I am.. I currently weigh 82-83kg and Im about 167cm tall.. When I was about 15/16yrs old I lost 12kg using the Weight Watchers Points guide, getting down to 70kg. I kept the weight off and exercised regularly for a couple years until I got an office job (which was up the road from a servo and it was quite easy to go up there to get a sausage roll or a hot dog and so forth). Bad Move! So I put the weight all back on, plus some more lol.. Its been like that for a few years now, and all I seem to do it take a couple off, and put it back on :(

I have started using the points guide again and trying to exercise everyday. I sat down on Bathurst weekend this year and decided I really needed to get off my backside and do something.. So I started off at 86kg as of the 10th Oct and now at 82.8kg.. I would like to get down to 68kg by mid next yr (which is my uni graduation) and have set myself smaller goals along the way, but its really slow and I don't see much progress which is frustrating, devastating but also some what a determinate to strive to do better. But I think what I eat is my main problem..

Any ways I think I have rambled on for a bit lol.. If anyone has suggestings or would like to tell me Im doing something wrong, let me know.. :)
niksta

Re: Im new..

Postby Carly :) » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 am

Hey there Niksta,

well now would be the perfect time to tell me what you eat every day.
Put your daily food diary on this forum ( aka write what you eat for breaky, lunch and dinner, inc snacks and drinks)
and we can help you see where you are going wrong :) :)
include everything and dont be embarrassed, :) we are all in the
same boat and its great you have aknowledged you want/need to lose some weight and now you can move forward towards you goal :) :)
also write down the exercise you do xxx
Carly
Carly :)

Postby niksta » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi Carly
Well for breakie I usually have left overs from the dinner before, or toast with vegemite or something.. I take a Berroca everyday aswell at breakfast time.
Lunch I usually have a Wholemeal Chicken and Salad sandwich or a small amount of hot chips or a chicken salad wrap. I have discovered Chicken Caesar salads are bad for you lol.
Like once a week I may have a couple of those small chocolate koala's.. You know the Carmello ones.. I cant think of their name..
For Tea I have what ever is cooked. Its hard to cook something for the rest of the family then something different for me. It could be anything from Spaghetti to Chow Mein, to Burrito's, or an 'all in' which is basically any vegetable in with mince and some pasta stirred in with it..
Embrassing I know :oops:
For snacks it is usually fruit or a Ktime twist bar.
I have limited the amount of soft drink I have, and will only drink Pepsi Max.

Exercise: I try and jog (well technically power walk half a km, jog a km, then power walk the other half a km.) and try and do that twice a day. I play Nintendo Wii as well. At the moment I got Active-More workouts, and I surely makes me work up a sweat. lol. Walking a bit faster around uni, and walking or jogging up stairs too.

I have lost a couple kg already.. but its just so frustrating that I dont have any more coming off and I am sorta lost with it all. :(
niksta

Postby brendan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Niksta

Often families indirectly sabotage our weigh loss efforts, or sometimes cause us to put it on in the first place.
I think that might be where some of your problem lies. You might need to prepare something different for yourself - particularly those evening meals, they might be a bit heavy for the time of day.
But despite that you aren't doing to badly, you've lost 4kg in 4 weeks which is ok - you'll get there!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby niksta » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks Brendan, yeh my family is the first to point out that Im overweight or make comments about it, but the last to support me with losing it.
I try and cut down my dinner size, but it seems like I have to rush in and dish mine up so I can get a smaller serving. haha. I find that when Im bored as well I tend to eat, when compared to if I am outside mowing the lawns or doing something constructive-I hardly eat.
The last week or so I havent seen much weight loss. :( But trying to keep my head up I guess and cut down on the amount of foods I consume.
niksta

Postby Carly :) » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Hey Niksta :)

Well your eating habits were similar to mine! when i moved out of home i tried to stop the habits my parents taught me, large
meals with high carbohydrate intake!! I dont think you have done too badly at all :) You have realized you need to lose
weight and that is a great thing, the first big step.
I still fall into temptation esp when im stressed with work or study, but its so important to take ur lunch with you and plan your
meals so that you dont fall out of line and make bad food choices.
I know how hard it is living with a family who eats high caloric diets, and its even harder to say no to the food as you
feel ungrateful and maybe even feel like you still want to eat this way as it is the way you were brought up.
I try to portion my food, and have lost quite a bit, i also do bowxing and ride a bike and go for a run at times :)
The foods I eat are normally Oats or 2 pieces of Toast. two pieces of fruit, a handful of mixed nuts, celery with hommus
can of tuna or salmon with a big salad with cherry tomatos, light cheese, olives, beetroot (redbeet) light dressing and
cucumber. Or lean chicken sandwich with salad. Or steak with Vege! :) :)
And because i love dessert (yes i love Caremello koalas also!!! lol :lol: ) i chose a sugar free jelly, chopped strawberries and some
light custard, yum! its sweet and tastes so nice and not too high in fat or sugar :)
You sound a lot like me with my eating habits, hopefully we can work together to be happy with our weight :)
Carly :)

Postby niksta » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:45 am

Hi Carly
Yes I do feel as though I have to eat everything on my plate for tea, even if I am full.. But I am starting to get into a habit of chewing my food slowly to feel full and cut down on the amount I consume. For uni, I usually take some water with me, and sometimes I will cook a smallish chicken breast (without the skin on) in the oven with some Italian herbs on top and once it is cooled down and chopped up I team it with some lettuce, some grated cheese and mayonaise for lunch. It is really filling. or I will get a wholemeal chicken salad sandwich which is very yum. :)
I have a stationary bike which I can use, should I use that with jogging and wii?? Mix it up a bit..
mmm those desserts sound delicious :wink: I might have to try some myself
niksta

Postby dearne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:00 am

wow you sound just like me! it is a difficult habit to break. Im solving the parents serving size by either not eating it all and eating what i would serve to myself or as soon as im done putting it in a container to take to work the next day!

one thing i did find strangely is that uni can be a great time to lose weight, because you have so many other things you can do instead of eating. If you feel the temptation of non-healthy foods (those dam carmellos, love em and all!), try going into a library or computer lab where you are not meant to have food, so that temptation is not there. Also, i remember at my uni the psychology department regularly did studies on people's diet and exercise so perhaps have a look to see what studies are being done. My first year a psychology student did a study on changes in BMI and exercise habits if you walked 3 times a week in a group, 3 times a week on your own or not at all (it was great because i was in group walking so needed to keep a record because others motivated me)

i think your doing well with being aware of what foods you should and shouldnt eat... keep it up!!
Dearne
dearne

Postby niksta » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Thank you Dearne, just good idea. I am being strict with the junk food whilst at uni at the moment. I keep telling myself I want to lose the weight-not put it on lol. A friend of mine offered me lollies today, and politely declined. I think I could get used to it.. But yes you're right, if I don't have food in front of me, I can't just grab a couple biscuits which turns into the lot packet by the end of the day.
At times I just feel like chewing something.. thinking of getting some chewy's maybe. I like the idea of exercising with others, but I don't at the moment and can't exercise with anyone because everyone is busy. But I am thinking of enjoying the gym next year with a couple uni friends, to work on my strength.
niksta

Postby dearne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:11 pm

niksta wrote: But I am thinking of enjoying the gym next year with a couple uni friends, to work on my strength.

Always a good idea with friends, because you motivate each other. Im about to join a leisure centre with my boyfriend because we know we will motivate each other. Just be careful because friends may have the tendency to stop coming with you.

My advice on that is to make sure you take a tour of the gym first. Many gyms now offer personalised electronic programs so that you know what you are doing each time, and make sure it is comfortable for you in case you do need to go in on your own. But importantly talk to the staff, at the end of it they should be your friends :!:
Dearne
dearne

Postby niksta » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:01 pm

One of my friends is about the same weight as me and we have about the same goal weight. We have talked about gyms, but I think we really have to discuss it because we want to go to two seperate gyms.. yikes! Yes I know what you Dearne, she was going with her sister, but they stopped going :( I have never gone to one before and find them intimidating, so I am hoping someone does it with me.. Or we buy some weights and do it all from our houses or something.. lol. Taking a tour sounds like a real good idea.. Seeing as I haven't been to a gym before, I am also worried I will be ripped off or forced into a contract. :(
niksta

Postby dearne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:36 am

talking to membership managers at gyms really helps! and asking them lots of questions, we went to one the other day, and they told us that the lock in is 12 months membership, however if we pay $5 extra per fortnight then the lock in is 3 months and then you can pay month to month after that. Most places will have this flexibility, and at the end of the 3 months you will know if you are commited or not. The best gyms to look at i found is the community or leisure centre gyms, as they are smaller and they do not have many fitness freaks who make it scary. dont decide on the first one you look at, always look at the different places even if you do have to go to a different suburb (the gym/pool i am going to sign up for is 35minutes from my house)
Dearne
dearne

Postby niksta » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 pm

That would be so much better. There are a few gyms around my area including a Curves (they seem a bit pricey though), a couple local gyms, and also a gym on my university campus. I enquired about one in the suburb over from me, because they had an $8/week special on. I rang them up and they booked me in for an appointment to be shown through the gym and basically be given a heap of info about it all. But I cancelled because I read the fine print.. I was oodles of money if I wanted to withdraw from the contract.. hmm no thank you lol
At the moment I guess I would like to try and get down to about 73kg by about March before I join. A bit of a motivator too I reckon. But its roughly about 10 kgs or something I gotta shift in four months Yikes! lol..
niksta

Postby dearne » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 am

what other kinds of exercise do you do. 10kgs in 4 months is achievable (i read somewhere that 1kg a week is a good aim), so adding some other exercise instead of the gym might help. I have found swimming helps, and if you take someone it can be great fun. also coming up to summer you will find lots of other people who will go with you :)
Dearne
dearne

Postby niksta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:38 pm

I just walk/jog at the moment. I will get out and mow the lawns with the push mower and do some whippa snipping (if that is even sorta classed as exercise). I can't really swim-I am not very good at it. If I do go to a friends place who has a pool I just sit and splash around for a bit but thats as far as I go lol. Yeh I am thinking 10kgs in four months is do-able. but I go out and for my exercising and wii workouts but still weight in at the same or a bit heavier ( weigh myself in the morning).. I think I have gone from 82kg to 83kg I think.. It is really frustrating!! :cry:
niksta

Next

Return to Introductions