It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:33 am

Free Newsletter

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby WillBThin50 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:48 am

Hi girls and guys,

I've been watching this board from time to time for tips and inspiration, but lately I've been finding it harder and harder to drop the extra kilograms. I love the community here and the encouragement you give one another and I hope I can draw from this pool of support to help me reach my goal. In return I will try as hard as possible to contribute. So here's my little back story, if you're interested, sorry if I seem as though I'm ranting.

How I put on weight
I'm finishing my final year of uni, actually I have one last exam to go which is on Monday. After that I'll be jumping into full time work. During my years at uni I gained some weight. I use to be an army reservist but when I left, I just let my fitness level drop and kinda stop lifting weights or eating healthily, it does not really take a rocket scientist to figure out how I gained 7kg. Big deal right, 7kg? Seems miniscule. I should be able to lose that weight just by...well...not eating everything I see and walking every day, right? Hmm, It's always easier in theory. I do realize that I have weird eating habits. I'm allergic to dairy so I don't eat ice cream, yoghurt, cheese, milk and cream so instead I indulge in a whole avocado in one sitting. That's right, a plain, whole avocado. In 2 weeks I put on 2kg because I ate a whole avocado every day for 2 weeks. I deserve to be ridiculed and shamed for that alone, so feel free to wag your fingers and shake your heads, I don't mind :D .

First step is admitting you have a problem
Well, I recently had a rude awakening to my situation. Being a poor student living out of home all my money went to rent so when none of my pants fit (and I buy all my clothes 2 sizes to big because I buy all my clothes every 2 years), I began to panic. For about 7 weeks now I have been wearing tracksuit pants as I have no money.

Motivation for losing weight
I guess it's also relevent to mention that I'm from an Asian background, so stuff like gaining weight to the point where your thighs touch when your feet are together are frowned upon. I know this is irrational and unhealthy, but somehow it seems easier for me to conform than to have to put up with the ridicule and teasing from family members. When I weighed only 50kg, my aunty said to me "You can't afford to put on anymore weight"...OUCH. I mean, I was 50kg, sure, but I was 15% body fat and could carry 40kg on my back and march 10km. But, you know, I couldn't afford to put on anymore weight because it was ugly. Now imagine her horror when she sees my "ugly" 54kg 18% body fat laddened body. The sad thing is, I have so much respect and love for her that it hurts me enough to want to change. Oh, and then there are the constant chest pains that follows from my rapid weight gain, the pervasive lethargy and mental exhaustion. How I miss the days when I was fit and healthy. I want to nip this in the bud NOW before it gets out of hand.

The Solution part 1a - Food
So these past few weeks I dropped my daily caloric intake to 1000 Cals or 4400kJ, kept a spread sheet of my caloric intake and body weight/fat percentage. It helped me drop 1kg and 1% body fat, but I still have a long way to go. I'm no longer consuming starchy foods like bread, potato and pasta. I occasionally eat rice. But very very occassionally. I eat leafy greens, tomatoes, kangaroo, grilled chicken breasts, eggs and mushrooms. Sometimes I have a soy protein shake, some mangos and bananas. I always have coffee with soy milk (I would rather stop living than stop caffeinating) and I consume 1tbspn of psyllium husks before bed.

The Solution part 1b - Exercise
I do 25 mins of physical activity every day. I started off skipping, doing push ups and sit ups and hand stands as well as hula hooping. Now that I have new runners, I run for 25 mins at least. I can run at an average speed of 8.6km/h for up to 40 mins on a cool day (<15 degrees), and 9.5km/h for 25 mins (>15 degrees) on a warm day, but I still feel slightly sick after each run. I have to pull through it, no excuses.

Future strategies
Um, All this work and I haven't lost any weight in the past week. This must be the dreaded plateau every dieter faces. I shall have to reduce food intake to 900 Calories a day and do moderate -hard cardio 30 minutes a day until I reach 10% body fat. When I start working I will take up pole dancing again. I found that it was really good for building muscle and toning but because I ran out of money I had to stop going, also, exams got in the way. I have also found that Parkour was really fun and built a lot of strength in my legs so I'll get back into that every Sunday. On top of that, weight training 4 days a week and swimming 2 days a week should help me maintain it all.

A Final Plea
I'm sorry if my weight loss goal seems trivial to some of you. I know that compared to some, my little battle seems insignificant, almost laughable, but I really have nowhere else to turn to for support. All I get is sarcasm and sabotage from my boyfriend/friends and family members who want me to be thin yet force feed me at every available opportunity. I don't rub it in their faces that I'm trying to get back into shape or dieting so I don't understand the hostility. I'm usually quite strong mentally but lately it's been tiring and a little upsetting and when I'm upset I stop eating altogether. I'm a happy person, I don't want to stop eating, I just want to be healthy again and fit into my pants and it would be a bonus if I can get my relatives to stop calling me fat, is that unreasonable?

So thank you for reading my drawn out post. Thank you so much. I'll try to behave myself, contribute and reciprocate. Peace be with you all!
"There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something" - Henry Ford

"To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in." - Richard Feynman

Re: Hi!

Postby Eddie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Welcome to the Forum, WillBthin50. Fascinating stuff and please keep contributing.

Postby WillBThin50 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Thank you, Eddie, I'll try my best !
"There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something" - Henry Ford

"To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in." - Richard Feynman

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 am

Welcome to the forum! No such thing as trivial.

The one thing I would say is that your calorie intake is way way way low. 1000cal is considered a very low calorie diet and is recommended only with medical supervision. The risk of doing yourself some serious damage is there, and a caloric intake that low will not help the exercise attempts.

At least avocado is a good fat, but yeah, it's still fat... and hey, I love em too! :D

My advice, maybe add a few more complex carbs to bump up the calories a tad so it can provide you more energy to do a bit more exercise. Mix up the cardio and resistance so you're both burning fat, and creating muscle tone and increase the exercise duration and your general activity levels if possible.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby dearne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 am

every weight lose battle, no matter how big or small, is still a battle. I know the feeling of having little support from those closest, but i have found that if you mix in your exercise to your daily routine it helps, because it then gives you no excuse not to exercise, and mixing up your exercise helps avoid the dreaded unmotivation.

always though if you are going to lose weight, do it for yourself so it makes you happy. (also, remind me never to meet your family, sad as it sounds im sure their lovely people)

Postby brendan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 am

Some good advice there from Butterfly Dawn and Dearne. It is important to raise your calorie input level to a safe level. Apparently it is good to incorporate some protein into each meal, and to remember that you still need some complex carbs and some saturated fat each day.
Also examine whether you might have an unrealistic body image, you sound as if you are in great shape to me. Trivial, no! but make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.
All the best!

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic

Return to Introductions