It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:28 am

Free Newsletter

Committed! My intro.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Committed! My intro.

Postby Tyger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:39 am

Hi everyone,

So, today I have committed by joining up to these boards! I'm hoping that the support of an online community will help me to finally break through these hurdles. I have never really been open about my intentions to lose weight so I've never had much support. Perhaps I am scared of the failure.

An intro: I am 26. I live in Melbourne. 1.77cm tall, starting weight was 81kg one week ago. I am now hanging around the 80kg mark. I am under no illusion that I am huge, I am athletically built, but I have about 8kg to lose. This is the problem. Shifting weight is SO difficult for me. My body is so stubborn. (I'm sure lots of us feel that way hey?). All this year I have killed myself with random spurts of exercising like a maniac, eating low carb, low calorie, not eating after a certain time... then I become discourage when nothing shifts after a week and I give up. Not this time. I am going to have patience and not expect more than 1kg a week MAX loss. Here is my plan:

* Track caloric intake with website (one I found last week), daily.
* Goal of 1,500 net calories daily (calculated by website for 1kg loss weekly).
* Exercise regime: Yoga Monday, karate Tuesday, kung fu Friday, 20km bike-ride weekends. (I have been doing martial arts since I was a kid, so I'm advanced level).
* Weekly weigh-ins, Monday morning as soon as I wake up.

And that's it. At the end of the day, it really is calories in vs. calories out, and I have to stop resisting that and just do it! It is hard for me because I am constantly thinking about food, but I have been doing great for a week now.

About 2 years ago I was 70kg, and I loved how I looked and felt then. Weight distributes evenly on me and it's not hugely noticeable that I'm up 10kg. When I first jumped on the scales at the start of this year, I was gobsmacked. I thought perhaps I'd put on 4kg tops. Wrong. So I decided I could no longer be in denial about it and eat whatever I want. Time for some action.

Wish me luck!

SW: 81kg
23/11/10: 79.9kg
GW: 72kg
Mini Goal: 76kg by my holiday on the 22/12/10
Tyger

Re: Committed! My intro.

Postby Classychic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Good luck Tyger, you sound determined and committed so I really hope you get the results you desire.

CC :)
Classychic

Postby dearne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:06 pm

well done for committing.

my little pearl of information that may help... from what you say you seem to do all your exercise at one end of the week. what i have noticed and what i think works is to spread out the workouts over the week, either by alternatin days or by doing a little bit each day. if you do it all in one hit then your only losing the calories of those days, whereas if its spread out then it can distribute the losses a bit better. im sure you martial arts is during classes, but there may be something you can do in the middle.

i do my exercise on a set schedule, which has increased based on starting a rotation of monday's, wednesday's and friday's. so see how it changes if you start with less and increase gradually.
Dearne
dearne

Postby Tyger » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks so much for your advice Dearne, and thanks for the welcome CC!

I usually do exercise on a Monday, Tuesday, Friday and on the weekend (Sat or Sun), this is pretty spread out right? But you are right, it'll definitely help if I try to feed in something on a Wednesday or Thursday. I will try to go for a powerwalk during my lunchbreak at work. I'd jog but I'll get super sweaty (it's hot here in Melbourne at the moment!) and there's no shower at work. A long power-walk will have to suffice, to budge a few extra calories!

Scales showed 79.1kg when I woke up today. I can tentatively say - something's happening! When I crack into the 78kg range I'll be properly convinced :roll:

Tyger.
Tyger

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Welcome to the forum! Your attitude seems to be pretty good. It's the most common thing people do, giving up after a week when all that extra weight fails to disappear overnight. Sounds so weird when you say it out loud, but that's pretty much what you're telling yourself when you give up!

If you're doing a lot of martial arts you can probably expect a fairly high level of muscle mass - I don't know if your goal weight is based on BMI, if so, just be aware that BMI isn't particularly accurate when you start building muscle (ask any bodybuilder or footballer who classes as "obese"). Muscle weighs fairly heavy so even if you're losing the fat, the extra muscle from any workouts may mean you actually weigh heavier.

That said, well done on the losses you've had so far. Just see it as a healthy lifestyle change and you'll get there. Go get 'em Tyger (SOMEONE had to say it :roll: :lol: )
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Tyger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:06 am

Your attitude seems to be pretty good. It's the most common thing people do, giving up after a week when all that extra weight fails to disappear overnight. Sounds so weird when you say it out loud, but that's pretty much what you're telling yourself when you give up!

Well, most of the time my attitude is good, but sometimes not so much! Even this morning, I noticed that I am 79.4kg, when the morning before I was 78.9kg. For a while I was dejected and annoyed, then I slapped myself out of it and reminded myself that I am going to fluctuate a lot day to day, and it's the average over time that matters. Besides, its my own fault for weighing myself each morning. If I'm going to insist on doing that, I have to get over myself and just record the average instead of pining away over 500grams. I just can't expect this weight-gain to be fast... I gained weight very slowly, and now I'm going to lose it just as slowly. That is just how my body is.

My martial arts training is mainly cardio, I'm not sure I train quite strenuously enough to be developing muscle! When we are doing punching drills I do get sore arms though, but that doesn't happen often. I find that my cycling on the weekends builds more muscle (in my legs), and I get muscle soreness afterwards. BMI has always been a bad measure for me - I have a large frame and back when I was slim and fit, my BMI was still in the higher range. So I don't pay it too much heed.

I really just want to be back at the point where I feel lean and toned again, and not so wobbly and bottom-heavy! Such a gross feeling, lol.

~Tyger.
Tyger

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Cycling and combat sports... after my own heart.
Yup yup, came on slowly, will go away slowly. These things take time, and you will muff it up occasionally - that's part and parcel of behaviour change. Go with it and just try and make the best decisions you can and SLOWLY you'll start developing healthy habits that are more likely to see you through the long term.

BTW 500g? That's one really big coffee + breakfast worth of weight, OR if you were really really busting for the loo....
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Tyger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:Cycling and combat sports... after my own heart.
Yup yup, came on slowly, will go away slowly. These things take time, and you will muff it up occasionally - that's part and parcel of behaviour change. Go with it and just try and make the best decisions you can and SLOWLY you'll start developing healthy habits that are more likely to see you through the long term.

BTW 500g? That's one really big coffee + breakfast worth of weight, OR if you were really really busting for the loo....

You do combat sports and cycling too Butterfly? What is your exercise routine? I still think I could incorporate more exercise into my days. It's not often I'm really struggling for breath. It's usually pretty moderate to light.

Thanks for that last note... I really need the perspective sometimes! I need to learn patience, that's one of my flaws. I think I feel the pressure because I have a tropical holiday coming up in 3.5 weeks and I want to be 77kg or under by then. I am also a bit paranoid I'll put it all back on while I'm there... as I won't be able to calorie count with my online tracker. I guess I just have to really focus on those new habits you mentioned, and I'll be doing lots of swimming and incidental exercise I suppose.

Thanks Butterfly, you're the little helper in my pocket right now 8)
Tyger

Return to Introductions