It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Free Newsletter

Problem eating at mum's

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Problem eating at mum's

Postby dohzer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi All.
I've got a problem at the moment that I'm hoping someone can help me with, and so I thought I would post an introduction with some background information.

I'm a 27 year old male, currently 187cm and 90kgs. I've been a fatty all my life and at my heaviest I weighed over 130kgs (when I was around 18yo), but stopped measuring so I really don't know. A year or so ago I was around 115kgs, and a few changes occurred in my life.
Firstly, I moved out of home to live closer to work. This was great, mainly because I can't cook and so all I've really eaten since is salad and fruit and vegetables (friends I speak to say they don't cook and just eat chips and junk... I guess I'm a little different). So Mum was no longer cooking for me, and I didn't have easy access to all the hideously unhealthy food in the pantry at home. I was closer to the city, and could just walk everywhere. I'd been doing a lot of running each night, but with the bad diet it had no real affect on my weight.
The other major change was that I quit my job. It got crap, so I decided to use my savings and take some time off work and sort out my health.

Those two changes occurred within a few weeks of each other, and I shed the kilos and was down to the low 80s within a couple of months. So all good, right?

Well... the problem is that recently I've started working again, and now it's at a location close to mum's place (irony alert: I move out to get closer to work, quit my job, and now that I've got another, it's closer to my childhood home). So to cut down on travel, I've been staying at her place a few nights a week, and I just can't control my eating properly. It's really strange, but I just eat constantly and I've shot back up to 90kgs within a couple of months. I'm never full when I'm there. My mind is constantly on eating, even after I've eaten a packet of biscuits, a full dinner (sometimes two servings), a heap of nuts, sultanas , chocolate, ice cream... all the really bad stuff in large quantities, I just keep eating non-stop until it's bed time. It's getting to the point where I think I'm going to stop staying there, and limit the time I spend there for family events.

I'm not sure if there's some psychological reason for reverting to how I used to be when I return home, but I've noticed that a few times when I've been taking a shower, I've looked in the mirror and been almost shocked to see a thin-ish man staring back at me. It's like I forget that I've lost weight and am expecting to see the same obese guy. It doesn't happen when I do the same thing at my apartment, or in any other bathrooms; just at the family home. I guess showering in the same bathroom for 25 years does that....

Anyway, that's my story and I'm open to any suggestions about how I can control myself at home.

Re: Problem eating at mum's

Postby 2bhealthy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Hello :-) have you talked to your mum about your concerns? The one thing I have learnt over the years of YoYo is that the more people who know about my mission to be healthier the easier my life became. More people are aware of how you feel and take your needs into consideration. The family home is also a place of comfort, so maybe your like me , emotion tied. But if the food of temptation is not there, you can't eat it. Get Mum onboard and together you can succeed :D
Like an onion I am just going to keep peeling off the layers

Re: Problem eating at mum's

Postby brendan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Perhaps let mum know that you are determined to get your weight down for health reasons, and either ask her to make specific dishes for you at reduced size, or suggest to mum that you are used to preparing your own salads/veg whatever and would she be offended if you made your own meals.
Also make sure you have a supply of mixed nut/fruit/seed and celery and carrots for those times when you get the munchies.

Mothers! Can't live with them, can't live without them! :lol:
Good Luck!

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic

Return to Introductions