It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:55 am

Free Newsletter

Hello from Adelaide :)

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from Adelaide :)

Postby saharalily » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:35 am

Hi All,

I am a mum of 2 and up until recently have never had a weight problem. Having said that I was just lucky to have never had to watch what I eat or excercise too much as I had a naturally fast motabolism and I have always been fairly active.
I have had a few things in my life go on and I have notice my body change, but not to the point where it was an issue until now.
3 years ago I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and a full hysterectomy. I recovered well from that, I did put on a few kilos but it was distributed evenly around my body and was a mere few that I could afford to have. Then a year later I had a car accident and hurt my back. Again I recovered well but also put on a few more kilos not being able to do as much strenuous exercise/movements as I was used to in the past. Still I accepted it and life went on. In Aug this year my doctor treated me for anxiety. I was put on a medication that piled on the kilos. I went from a size 8 to now a 12.
I really feel yucky within myself as I am only 5ft 1 and these extra kilos I have put on are really noticeable on my small frame.
I started to really worry 2 weeks ago when I went to my doctor and I started crying when I was telling him horrible I felt and no amount of walking or diet change was helping. He suggested I try Censored or the like as he doesn't think my situation is drastic enough for Duromine or Reductil.
So I ordered the Censored kit yesterday.
For the last 2 weeks I have been calorie counting but being busy with the kids, work, home, pets etc.. It was hard to get my head around it all, especially when eating out.
I have started walking my very large dog for an hour every morning and have changed my diet dramatically. I have lost an inch from my waist but that is all. I am still not happy :(
I have rambled enough now lol So I will sign of with a hello to everyone and look forward to having a chat with u :)
"Women who seek to be equal with men, lack ambition" - Marilyn Monroe

saharalily

Re: Hello from Adelaide :)

Postby brendan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:00 am

Welcome to the site Saharalily

You have had a pretty tough time, but it is good that you have already started on your weight loss journey and lost an inch (don't down play that inch, it is step in the right direction!) It sounds like you need a plan, and list of targets on the route to your destination. I'm presuming Body Slim is a meal replacement shake, and while they can help kick start the weight loss, there are potential side-effects with longterm use. It is important to get used to eating the right foods and avoiding or cutting right back on those that stack on the grams. I've said it before to others, but what I have done is put a photo of myself, when I was a fit and healthy and at my goal weight, on the desktop of the computer. It acts as reminder of a time when I was happy, with my body, and is a motivation for me.

I really understand the limitations that can be put on you when you have a back problem. In my case it is the lower discs which are compressed and distorted - it starts to hurt after about 10-15 minutes on my feet, but strangely if I can rest against a lamp post or sit for about 30 seconds I am good for another 5-10 minutes. If I know I am going to have to walk any distance or be on my feet for a period I will take my walking stick to rest on. I'm hoping when I have lost a heap more weight the pressure on the spine will abate, and I can eventual have a decent walk and even jog again one day.

All the best in your quest for a healthier, fitter body

Bren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby saharalily » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:18 am

Hi Bren,
Thanks so much for your reply.

I hear u about the lower back pain, there is where my damage is also. I have lower lumbar damage. I know all too well about sitting or standing for too long. Sometimes my back spasms or even seizes, it's horrible.

Censored isn't a meal replacement or a diet, it's an eating plan type thing.
For the first 3 days is detox. You only eat protein. Then from there u slowly introduce other foods back into ur diet. I am hoping this works because I have no idea about food plans, exercise plans etc etc.. It all confuses me! And I have never had to do it before.
I have no support here at home as everyone keeps saying "You look fine, u don't need to loose weight" the point is that I am SHORT and have a small frame, the extra kilos really do not look good and I certainly don't feel good.

Also in conjunction with my walking I have started doing crunches, squats and pushups. At the moment I am managing to be able to do 50 of each, which I thought was pretty concidering I am a smoker lol
I am ultimately hoping to give up smoking, but not before I start to loose some weight, I am truelt terrified of putting on more weight, to the point I make myself physically sick thinking about it.

On the 13th of Dec I am to be maid of honour at my friends wedding. I am hoping that this will boost my self esteem and help aid me on my journey. I am a very determined person and I won't let this beat me :)

saharalily

Postby brendan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 am

You hang in there saharalily

People who are short in stature are amongst the most determined people I have known.

The Censored sounds ok as long it is not one of those schemes that takes advantage of people's vulnerabilities. You don't need a lot to make up a plan (and if the Censored is any good they will give you the information you need to make your own plan) - you probably already know instinctively what the right foods are, and those to avoid. ie cut back on carbs (if like me you overdid them) and sugars and processed foods, try to have protein in every meal, and fresh fruit, vegetables and nuts, and lean meat and some fish, and plenty of water.

You can do it!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby saharalily » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:27 am

I joined calorie king 4 weeks ago. I just signed back in to log my eating, fluid intake and steps for today as I have been only keeping a mental nte for the last 2 weeks.

I have a pedometer that my mum gave me a while back and so far just from doing the housework I have racked up 1010 steps!
At first I thought 10,000 was way too many but I can see it's quite reachable. I have to go to work this afternoon, I work in a salon so racking up the steps there will be quite easy.

Back to CK, so far I have:

You have used 254 out of your net daily budget of 1270 calories. Have 1016 calories remaining.
1% of the calories are from fat, 12% from protein, 87% from carbs and 0% from alcohol.

I don't think I am truely understanding carbs just yet.
4 weeks ago when I first started CK I was eating around 85% fat, I nearly keeled over for the % so I am doing way better now as u can see lol

saharalily

Postby miss_viva » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I'm sorry things have been tough for you, you've had a pretty bad run. It's nice to see that you're still staying positive though, and congratulations on losing 1 inch off your measurements! Sometimes the scales can be cruel to us and not move, but if you've been working out and eating well, you can probably guarantee that your measurements are still decreasing.

In relation to what you should be eating for your diet, I think Brendan gave you some fairly decent advice. I also don't really count calories or follow any particular plan - it's mainly just about eating well and avoiding unncessary junk. As a very basic rule try and eat:

- As many vegetables as you like. (No, McDonalds fries don't count as a vegetable - I wish! :D)
- 1-2 pieces of fruit a day
- 2 serves of dairy a day
- 2 serves of protein a day - lean beef, chicken, fish etc
- 2 serves of carbs a day - e.g. 2 pieces of bread, 1 serve of rice and 1 piece of bread etc.

The above guide may not suit everyone, but i've found that it's helped me a lot when I've been focused on losing weight. Basically, just try to focus on making the best food choices you can. E.g instead of snacking on potato chips, try low fat crackers and dip instead.

All the best :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby saharalily » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks so much for ur advice!
I am really struggling to organise my meals, hmmm I didn't think it would be this hard :?
I am about to go through other people's food diaries and create one with foods I like from their's.
I am picky eater so I guess that is why I am finding it so hard :(

saharalily

Return to Introductions