It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Free Newsletter

New and fed up

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New and fed up

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi
I am a 61 year old female and need to lose 10 kilos. In the last 3 weeks I have managed to lose 2 kilos but feel that it is really not happening for me.
I have started 2 gym sessions a week and 2 yoga classes but its christmas and the yoga will stop for the holidays. I have very bad bursitis in my hips so jogging is out of the
question. I am trying to stick to a low GI diet and I am vegetarian. Any help that you can give in recipes, other ways to lose weight or secrets on how others have done it I would really appreciate it.
I need to lose this weight by March 2011 if possible.
mumbles

Re: New and fed up

Postby brendan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:56 pm

G'day Mumbles and Welcome

2 kilo in 3 weeks is nothing to be sneezed at, you are doing well. With only 10kg to lose I reckon you should romp it in by March, if you keep up that rate. What sorts of exercise do you think you can do? Is walking okay? and how about a pushbike, or exercise bike. Some people seem to like swimming (although personally the distance I can swim is only limited by the depth of the pool :roll: ) If you are up for it, perhaps working out the muscles with weights might help too.
Making bread, rice, potatoes etc a minimal part of the diet, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, trying to have some protein at every meal, limiting the size of the meals, but having more of them. Out with the polyunsaturated fats, although a bit of oil is good - olive oil preferably. Out with the sugars and processed foods. Might have to get some supplements depending on the variety of vegetarian food you eat. Are you ok with milk and cheese? Are eggs a possibility?

Have you seen your GP about what you are doing? A check-up at our age is a good idea.

Stick with it, you can do it!
Bren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks Brendan. Walking isn't too bad but I live out in the country and its only dirt road and at the moment 37 degrees. I do a fair bit of walking and working around my 6 acres and I am fairly strong.
Yes my GP is really pleased with what I am doing, so no probs there.
I have a low fat diet generally and I grow a lot of my own veggies now. Eggs are fine and I eat fish occasionally and I do eat a lot of pulses and tofu.
I think my biggest problem is getting the quantities right. If I am working out at the gym, working outside - then I get hungry! So while I try and maintain the low gi
eat smaller portions and snacks 2 -3 times a day, I find I am hungry, so I eat more.......................... Will work on this and see how the next few weeks go.
Thanks for your response. I need someone to help me keep track. If you have any recipes that you think may help, please let me know.
mumbles

Postby mealy222 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:11 pm

eat mushrooms stuffed with rice and vegetables,little bit of cheese on top,yummy,or make rissotto,thats a good one for diets as i eat alot of that and fulls up my tummy...

ok i will try and remember how i do it...
spray bottem of pot with oil
add cut onions and mushrooms,
then add dryed rice and mix together it will sort of go crusty and will c a colour going sort of dark...add veg stock and add little by little,at this point add any vegies u like,i stick anything and everything in...oh wouldnt add potatoes or pumpkin..
now when thats cooked
sprinkle a little cheese on top and a few nuts....
dig in yummy....
mealy222

Postby brendan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:37 pm

It sounds like you are pretty much on track, and the weight loss of 2kg in 3 weeks shows that it is working. They build you tough in the bush don't they :D I'm glad you got the doctor's ok, it means you can afford to experiment a little on your routine.

I can't help you too much with recipes, although I can make a nice vegetable curry :oops:
When I do cook I tend to throw out the recipe and just make it up as I go along. These days, now the warmer weather is here, I eat salads for lunch most of the time, either with cheese, tuna, or chicken. Egg on toast, beans on toast, hommus on toast is a typical breakfast. Tea is usually the lightest meal of the day and is usually fruit, seed and nut mix or some fruit, or a meal replacement shake.

There are a few vegetarians on the forum who I'm sure could give you some ideas. Keep doing what you're doing though, it's working
Bren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby mumbles » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:03 am

Thanks everyone for your help. Sounds like you cook the way I do. Throw it in the pan, add fresh herbs and spices and eat it.
Will keep you posted how it goes.
Cheers
mumbles

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Mumbles,
You're doing really well! I have plantar fasciitis (a foot condition) so I had to give up jogging a while ago. I have a vegan diet, so I know how hard it can be to find good diet advice for vegetarians. I think the low GI diet you're on is terrific and should give you good results. My mum lost heaps of weight on low GI.

It's great that you're getting to the gym. At times when you can't get there you might want to consider a pedal exerciser. It's like an exercise bike, but you can use it while sitting in any chair and it's particularly suited to people who have injuries. You can use it for your arms as well as your legs. My advice would be to get a more solid one than the image below, though. I have one like the image below and unless you can somehow bolt it in place it keeps trying to get away from you! A heavier one would be less likely to slide away while you're pedalling. :D

I started a thread on low GI recipes, but only posted two recipes because I got very busy.

I have two low GI vegetarian cookbooks. The one by Rose Elliott, 'Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook', uses a lot of dairy, so it's not really appropriate for vegans but would be good if you like cheese. The other one, 'The New Glucose Revolution Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook', is more vegan and has a lot of general information about having a low GI vegetarian diet. I prefer the latter, but check both out on Amazon to read the index pages to see which recipes you prefer. I bought mine from bookdepository.co.uk as they don't charge for postage, unlike Amazon.

There are some online sites for low GI vegetarian recipes:
All Recipes: Low GI + Vegetarian
The GI Diet Guide: vegetarian recipes
Low GI cooking: vegetarian recipes

Other than that, just try to remember lower GI alternatives for each of the regular things you eat. So instead of having white potatoes, have sweet potatoes. Substitute wholegrain bread for white bread. If you're going to have pasta or potatoes let them cool first and re-heat them. Cooling the starches changes their chemical composition to make them slightly lower GI.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks for the info. I do keep a check on all the low GI websites and of course the hundreds of low GI cook books. The problem seems to me to be a lot
of conflicting advice on what you should and shouldn't eat and what is and isn't low Gi. Take rice for example,according to leading Canadian cardiologist Rick Gallop, Basmati rice is supposed to be the lowest, but
then I read other books that say, eat Arborio rice, because that is the lowest. Confusing, but I think I will stick to Basmati.

Another thing I have found is that many recipes are either so boring or tasteless, that I wouldn't bother to even try to cook them. So I keep searching for inspiration and end up making up my own food.
I am still losing weight, albeit slowly,so I am obviously doing something right. God I would love some chocolate!
mumbles

Return to Introductions