It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:04 am

Free Newsletter

weight loss partner anyone?

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

weight loss partner anyone?

Postby bandak » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and have read many of your posts, which has inspired me to stop whinging and get serious about losing some weight.
I am 38 year old mother of 2, just on 70kg and have been unhappy with the way I look and feel for years.
In the past i have lost weight, and gained it again and it's left me feeling pretty pathetic really - no self discipline and no staying power...Im not really into chips and cakes etc, but I do drink more than I should and I have trouble sticking with exercise.
So, I'd be keen to partner up with someone online to compare progress, exercise efforts and bolster each other through the times when motivation is lacking.
I plan to start exercising tomorrow, so tonight i will measure and weigh in and give some thought to what I will eat in the coming week.
Id love to hear from anyone in a similar situation, as I really think a bit of healthy competition may be exactly what I need to stay on track. :|
bandak

Re: weight loss partner anyone?

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:43 am

Hi Bandak, I'd be happy to compare along the way.
I'm 39 and a Mum of 1 and am now at about 72kg having come down from 96kg :oops: and hoping to lose another 10kg+ I pretty much gave up drinking when I started this health kick. :shock:
I live on a sheep station in the middle of nowhere so have to rely on myself to do the exercise although I'd love to be able to go to a gym but that's not going to happen. I have an elliptical trainer so use that and go for walks when it's not too hot plus I'll do some tv exercise shows too. I'd like to do about an hour a day but I also have to do some manual farm work some days too which helps.

What have gotten up to today?

all the best to you. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby bandak » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi Metalcharm,
Lovely to hear from you...
Wow, you have done well so far - how long have you been on a health kick for? Actually, doesnt really matter - Im inspired already. It must be difficult to stay motivated out there - especially when its really hot.. I don't really like the gym scene myself, so Im not tempted to go down that path. How do you find the eliptical trainer? My sister swears by them, but (and this is probably why I have trouble losing weight) i find them a real chore..it's all I can muster to stay on the treadmill for 50minutes without dying of boredom, but then, I heard someone once say - You're not there for entertainment - if you want to be entertained, read a book or go to the movies..
I find it really hard to get excited about exercise.I've tried talking books on an ipod, Ive tried lots of things, but I cant usually last more than a few weeks if that. Do you find dropping weight gives you the motivation you need to keep going?
And what about diet - have you changed much about what you eat (apart from giving up alcohol?)
I'd be interested to hear how you've approached it. I always tell myself I eat well, but then I look at my portion sizes and its pretty obvious where I'm coming unstuck...
Anyway, today i managed 50 mins on the treadmill walk/run and a little incline work, so that's better than nothing - Im in Brissy, so working up a sweat wasnt much trouble with the humidity we're having!
talk to you soon
Bandak :)
bandak

Postby Metalcharm » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 am

50 mins on the treamill is great! Especially in the humidity!

I like the elliptical trainer in the way that I feel like I"ve done a workout when I'm finished. yeah, it's not a trip to the circus or anything but I do it in front of the TV to help pass the time. I go for a 5km walk when I can .. I went for one this morning so this arvo when it's hot I have already done it and don't have to feel guilty for not going. I wouldn't be able to do it without my ipod! I listen to podcasts from my favourite radio shows mostly. I might try an audio book and see how I go with them too. I guess I just had to get into a mindset of that it's a job that has to be done. It seems with me that the only time I can lose weight is by working on both the exercise and the eating together - if I do one or the other then I'll maintain okay but to actually lose weight then I have to do both. And as my Mum says you don't have to like it but you have to do it.

Losing eight is motivating. But I had to really stop myself from falling into 'rewarding' myself. I gave up smoking a couple years ago and sort of had to treat dieting like that .. when you give up smoking you don't reward yourself with a smoke so I had to say the same about food .. you can't reward yourself with a mars bar because you've been good for a week and remember WHY you're doing this. (although if a doctor told me that I had a month to live I would spend that month eating mars bars and smoking :lol: )

Food wise there was no particular diet that I went on. Just knowing what is healthy and what isn't. Tried to stay away from processed foods and eat as many natural foods as possible. Before I would have cocopops every morning (sometimes two bowls :oops: ) and then 2-3 bit of toast lathered with butter but now every morning I have fruit cut up with no-fat yoghurt on top. One morning a month or so ago to save time when we had to be out early I let myself have a small bowl of cocopops and I found I really really didn't liek the taste! Was so good to see that my tastes are changing.
I do still struggle with afternoon nibblies and wanting ice cream after dinner. :twisted:

Oh one podcast I listen to was called "fat2fit radio" look them up and give them a go while you're exercising.

Sorry, that went on a bit! lol
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby kim37 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi there,
I started my diet just yesterday, the first week is soooo hard but once i get a result at the end of the week It comes that bit easier.I cant bring myself to enter a gym at this stage perhaps when i loose a bit and regain more confidence, I do have dumbells and a treadmil so I have to dust the cobwebs of them and get moving! 8)
kim
kim37

Return to Introductions