It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 am

Free Newsletter

My Story/Intro

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

My Story/Intro

Postby successman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I finally worked up the courage to post on this forum. I have been coming and looking through thousands of posts for about 6 months but only joined a month ago and now I am posting my introduction.

I am one for telling it how it is and this is my personal introduction, it means a lot to me to be able to post it and make it public. I see it as a milestone, written in history to help me on my weight loss journey.

Anyway, hi. I am a young man with a lot of weight to lose. I am currently 19. I was forced to leave home when I was 14 years old and have pretty much lived on my own since with some help and kindness of others along the way.

I was always a bit bigger as a kid due to eating junk food all my life but I was very fit, playing most sports and running for enjoyment. Sadly, as I entered my mid teens I discovered alcohol and started drinking heavily, mainly to take the ease of my misfortune. I also became more unhealthy and started putting the weight on, at one point, takeaway was every night of the week, just depended on which one I wanted.

This has led me to be very unhappy with my life, I am great at hiding this, but when I am alone I feel very depressed and hate myself, especially the way I look.

At the start of 2010, I decided to make a change, I had recently secured a nice job and was comfortable with my finances (this is something I strive for success in coming from a poor family, I have a gift with numbers but put a dollar sign in front and I pay a lot more attention, investing is my hobby!). So I decided to lose some weight and I joined a gym with a very good friend of mine. It was great and I started to enjoy it and even met with a personal trainer that gave me a lot of support and taught me a lot about healthy eating and helped me work out a diet plan.

But, alas, something amazing came up and I was given a job of the lifetime that for someone of my age is just an outstanding achievement. I work for one of the largest companies in the world in learning and development and I absolutely love my job and the people I work with. This meant moving towns for me and travelling across the world for training for my job etc and I had to cancel my gym membership! :(

Also, with a great job came more money and this meant more drinking and partying, its been an interesting year and I have met some great people through my experiences and become closer to others.

One person in particular, who I love very much, has given me the inspiration to change my lifestyle. Love is a powerful thing I am sure you would agree.

So, about 6 weeks ago, in an episode of depression, I came to the realisation that I had two choices to improve my life;

1. Donate everything to charity and quietly give up on the world.

Its through the inspiration and love from this person that helped me to choose option number 2.

At this point (still six weeks ago) I weighed in at 145kg. :(

Since starting my journey, I have been on duromine, which does not seem to be doing much beside giving me a dryer then normal mouth as I still get quite hungry but just the mental thought of taking the drug helps me to stop eating so frequently.

I use my iPhone to track my daily eating and keep it between 1200-1600 calories a day and I drink nothing but water (which means goodbye alcohol, yes I slipped up for new years).

I am also exercising, I go on a 3.6km walk/jog 2-3 times a week and I brought myself a mountain bike and I try to do 10-20km on the weekend. I use an application called RunKeeper Pro to track my exercise (which if you have an iPhone, I would highly recommend, the paid version is also free this month only).

At the time of writing this, I weigh approx. 132.7. My ultimate target is 80-90Kg. I still have a long way to go, some nights I lose motivation, and although I am eating less calories I can still improve what I am eating as well!

Ahhhhh, well, that is my story, I am sorry it is long and boring, perhaps you just skipped to this bit, but its me, and I needed to write it to help me, this forum is one of the greatest places to find inspiration and maybe my story will help others. I hope to continue to post here with my progress.

Thanks for reading =)

Re: My Story/Intro

Postby Metalcharm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Sucessman, welcome to the forums!
You have had quite a jouney, huh? Congratulations on overcoming so many hurdles in your life.

Personally I think you aren't eating enough! You must be starving! (Don't you love hearing that on a diet?? LOL)
Check out this page to work out your BMR which is your basal metabolic rate and is how many calories a day you need just to survive. If you keep going on your level then you may damage your metabolism. I put in your details and had a guess at a average height and it comes back that at being lightly active you should eat around 2700 calories.

that site isn't a fad diet thing - they champion the cause of eating well and exercising more. Common sense stuff but sometimes we just need to hear it.

Re: My Story/Intro

Postby brendan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi and Welcome Successman

You are almost the same weight as me, and have the same goal. I am about 131kg and aim for 81kg. I intend to get there by the end of the year - maybe even a month or so earlier. It sounds like you are having good weightloss results. I don't know how you can jog though, I need to lose another 30kg before I'd be able to do that. :oops:

I have had the good fortune to have been offered a mountain bike too, so I am looking forward to incorporating it into my exercise routines.

I'd offer to race you to 81kg, but I am not that competitive <chicken> :lol:

all the best

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic

Return to Introductions