It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Free Newsletter

Start as I mean to go on..

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Start as I mean to go on..

Postby shuff » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:01 am

Hi,
My name is Sian -
I have joined this wesbite/forum to have some support during my weight loss.

I am very happy with my life except I am not happy with my weight, the only thing I would change is my size.
I am a 19 year old female, and I weigh 112 kilograms, I know compared to some people on this website it isn't to much but for me it is (not being judgmental).

I am around 5ft 9inches, and I weighed myself around a week ago and I was 112kg. Not happy, very embarrassing so I've decided that 2011 will be my year and I will accomplish things that I set my mind to.

I've always wanted to lose weight but haven't had the push to do it, I just need some help as I've tried dieting before and I just didn't eat junk food/drink soft drinks but didn't seem to change anything so I gave up.

I'm in need of some desperate inspiration/help to achieve my goals, I have a car and my job consists of calling people for 4 hours a day, but apart from that I'm up for this challenge. Another thing my partner is overweight too, but he works 9am-5pm and I work 4pm-8pm so I can't exercise with anyone really..

My weight 112kg, goal weight is 68kg.
ANY advice help would be highly appreciated, Ive never told anyone my weight before but I've got the courage as I want to and will do something about this..

Thankyou for reading, looking forward to some responses.. :)
shuff

Re: Start as I mean to go on..

Postby brendan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi and Welcome Sian

You have made the first step by seeking out this forum.

Next I suggest writing down a plan of how you are going to reach 68kg and perhaps when you expect to reach it. Make mini-goals along the way.
Make a list of the foods that you are going to eat - as many unprocessed foods as possible (lots of leafy veg is good mixed with other veg and some fish, chicken or cheese), the simpler the better. If you are out, and know that you are going to be tempted to have a fast food lunch then make sure you take a prepared meal with you. Make sure you have plenty of water with you so that you are not tempted to go for a soft drink - even the diet ones play tricks with the metabolism. Have 'snack' foods available, like celery sticks, carrot sticks, maybe some light dip, or have a nut/seed/dried fruit mix handy.

Exercise-wise try to get in 30-60m of some form of exercise each day, and look for small ways that can help burn up a few calories, like taking the stairs.

I think those are the basic points, but you'll fine tune it to suit yourselves.

Stay focused on the goals, and don't be afraid to be a little obsessive if it works for you :lol:

Best wishes
Bren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby shuff » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:14 am

brendan wrote:Hi and Welcome Sian

You have made the first step by seeking out this forum.

Next I suggest writing down a plan of how you are going to reach 68kg and perhaps when you expect to reach it. Make mini-goals along the way.
Make a list of the foods that you are going to eat - as many unprocessed foods as possible (lots of leafy veg is good mixed with other veg and some fish, chicken or cheese), the simpler the better. If you are out, and know that you are going to be tempted to have a fast food lunch then make sure you take a prepared meal with you. Make sure you have plenty of water with you so that you are not tempted to go for a soft drink - even the diet ones play tricks with the metabolism. Have 'snack' foods available, like celery sticks, carrot sticks, maybe some light dip, or have a nut/seed/dried fruit mix handy.

Exercise-wise try to get in 30-60m of some form of exercise each day, and look for small ways that can help burn up a few calories, like taking the stairs.

I think those are the basic points, but you'll fine tune it to suit yourselves.

Stay focused on the goals, and don't be afraid to be a little obsessive if it works for you :lol:

Best wishes
Bren

Hi Brendan,
Thankyou for your positive feedback, what is good goals short term? I have absolutely no idea where to start.. I was thinking maybe around 2kg a week so 6kg a month, or is that too high/low?
I've been parking my car futher away from work now so I have to work to and from for a longer time, just little things like that and when I have to goto the car - move my car from the driveway I take the back way because it's longer...

Just little things like that so far, need to get a good diet routine in plan also whats some good alternatives to snack on?
shuff

Postby Metalcharm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:28 am

Hi Sian! Congratualtions on making this start to a healthier you!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby brendan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:40 am

Hi Sian

Perhaps don't get too ambitious with the weekly weight loss too early - just observe what the body is willing to let go on a weekly basis. 2kg per week is working for me, but might be hard for someone else - there's probably a zillion factors at play :lol:
I think 1kg is often recommended as a maximum per week.
Better to take it slowly and surely, and stay healthy while you are doing it. Choose a weigh-in day, and see how it goes, then you can project forward (allowing for a slow down as you near your goal weight) I'd say that you'd be able to reach your goal by the end of the year if you stay focused.

Good idea, parking the car a little further away. Every little bit makes a difference, and it re-affirms your commitment!

Stay with it
Bren
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby Metalcharm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:44 am

fogot about the snacks ..
some low fat yoghurt
fresh or dried fruit
boiled/poached eggs
wholegrain brekkie cereals
plain UNSALTED nuts
celery/carrot sticks

and here is the link to the healthy snack page on this very site where there is lots of ideas that may need a bit more effort than just grabbing an apple :D
http://www.weightloss.com.au/healthy-snack-recipes.html
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Return to Introductions