It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:09 am

Free Newsletter

ready to turn from a mountain into molehill

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

ready to turn from a mountain into molehill

Postby mummytotwo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:03 am

Hello everyone!

I am 30yo, and a teeny bit under 118kg - every teeny bit counts though right?

I've steadily been gaining the kgs over the years by having a self sabotaging pattern that seems to be based around social situations.

In Public: i eat healthy.
In private: i eat A LOT of very unhealthy foods.

Its the otherway around with exercise..
In Public: I will do any excercise that i already do, and already mastered.
In Private: I am happy to try new things, and do any exercise that involves sweating or getting out of breath.

These are some big hurdles for me to over come mentally - if ANYONE can relate or has some advice for me, please share your stories :)

In order to shed this excess weight and become a healthy confident mummy to my two young children I plan to:
- exercise daily
- eat only diabetic friendly sweets and treats.
- fight my inner monologue and use positive thinking as well as affirmations
- listen to my BODY instead of my brain. My brain has some filthy habits, and my body is screaming to be treated with respect.
- use this site daily for inspiration, encouragement and accountability

I have a lot of weight to loose inorder to reach the Healthy Weight BMI... I'm talking 40kg plus!

So come on everyone, lets shrink!! :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wlPAPGI/]
[/url]

BW Jan 2011: 118kg
GW after 12 week challenge:108kg

Week one: gained 0.4kg
Week two: lost 0.6kg
Week three: back to original weight
mummytotwo

Re: ready to turn from a mountain into molehill

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi MummyToTwo

I know what you're talking about re the "self-sabotage". That's probably how a lot of us got fat. Perhaps there's also a psychological element too - eating well in public can reinforce in one's mind that "I'm a healthy eater!".

But eating badly in private can be glossed over as there are no witnesses, which allows us to lie to ourselves that "oh, I'm okay, it's nothing to worry about, it was just a little packet of chips".

To avoid this "sneaky eating" I keep a food diary and enter into it everything I eat, and review it each week. My written word is a great witness to my bad habits, and one which I cannot gloss over (er, except with liquid paper!). :D

Don't give up and you'll do well.
CronicBadger

Postby mummytotwo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:03 pm

hi CronicBadger

thank you for your post. I guess self sabotage is to blame for most of the extra kilos around the place.

I will be using your idea of a food diary. I have a secret love for stationary so i'm extremely excited about picking out a nice book to write in! :D

Do you note calories etc? I'm not sure i have the time management to do that.. but if the scales are screaming then it will be easy to assess calorie intact if i have it all noted down already.

Thank you for your kindness and advice :)

Any tips for exercising within a time poor lifestyle?
[/url]

mummytotwo

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Regarding the calories, yes, I note them down at the same time I write down the food. I do a rough entry rounded to the nearest 50 in small print above the food item. I use correct values where possible, such as from the food labels. And once a week I review my diary and make more accurate corrections (using kitchen scales to weigh portions) if my calculations start to drift. I only count kilojoules to ensure I eat an average of 5000 to 7000 Kj daily. This way I know for a fact that I will lose about 3 Kg each month.

A food diary entry for a day looks like this (with Kjs in parentheses). Although you don't see it here, I use a lot of acronyms or shortened words for the entries. Main meals are in brackets, anything outside the brackets is a snack:

[Homemade muesli (1200), soy milk (700)] , [2 x Quorn Burgers, can of mixed vegetables (550)], soy milk (350), [Hot chips (1500), 3 x Quorn Sausages (600)].
Total = 5950 Kj

Keeping a food diary requires discipline but it is very useful in keeping a person honest with themselves.

As for exercise, I dislike exercise, so do mostly "incidental exercise" which involves using unscheduled excuses to walk, such as walking to the shop but not getting everything needed, thus forcing myself to make three or four trips each week. On weekends I go walking for 5 Km or 10 Km along scenic paths and shared cycleways with a friend.

A local shop owner I know uses a mini stair stepper device she bought for about $100. It is set up next to the shop counter and when she has no customers she jumps onto it and starts "walking".
CronicBadger

Postby mummytotwo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:20 am

Your food diary entry is much simpler then one's i've seen else where, i think i might be able to manage it! yahhoo!

I love the idea of a little stepper, it would be good for when i want to exercise but my babies are asleep and i don't want to wake them!! I'll start looking around the prices next week - thank you for your ideas!!

I have a little food diary and was going to start it yesterday.. but i ate LOTS of "naughty" food and very little "good" food... can't start a diary like that!! So i'll start today instead - fresh day, fresh food, fresh food diary!

Motivation: ON!
[/url]

mummytotwo

Return to Introductions