It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Day 17 - minimal weight loss

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Day 17 - minimal weight loss

Postby Winnah » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light on what I am doing wrong. I have searched previous posts but wasn't really able to find a response specific enough.

On 7 January 2011 I commenced a change in lifestyle in an effort to lose weight, improve muscle tone and generally improve health and fitness. It is now day 17 and over that time I have been sticking to a 1000 - 1200 calorie per day diet (no processed foods or added salt, sugar, caffien to my diet) and have exercised 12 out of the 17 days (RPM/Spin or PUMP). Prior to commencing this change I estimate that I would have been on a 2200 calorie per day MINIMUM diet which included lots of fat, carbs, salt and sugar.

Since 7 January 2011 I have lost a total of 300 grams!!!On the premise that I would be building muscle which therefore wouldn't be showing on the scales, I took body measurements. 8 days from taking my first measurments there has been NO CHANGE. What the?!!!

Please help, I'm losing motivation fast ... what am I doing wrong?

Staring Weight - 64kg
Height - 160 cm
Goal Weight - 58kg
Starting BMI - 25
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi5WTpB/]
[/url]
Winnah

Re: Day 17 - minimal weight loss

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Short answer: Spend another month or two dieting and exercising as you've been doing and THEN do some measurements.

Long answer:
Expecting amazing results over a very short term is going to set you up for disappointment after disappointment. Our metabolic processes are complex, abstract and indirect, not perfectly understood, and there are huge variations in how each individual body reacts to its environment.

For example, fat cells try to retain their volume by taking up and retaining water for some weeks after they expel the fat content. This could explain the lack of change.

You may have lost fat from areas you are not measuring. Fat is removed from the body in stages and from different areas at different times.

Perhaps you are not eating enough and your body has gone into "starvation mode". Or maybe not enough protein to rebuild lost muscle tissue (up to 30% of muscle may be used as an emergency energy reservoir by metabolic processes).

So, in my opinion, you may not be doing anything wrong except not giving your body enough time to start reshaping.
CronicBadger

Re: Day 17 - minimal weight loss

Postby Winnah » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Thank you for your help CronicBadger. Your comments re: water retention and protein give me more to go on. Yes, you are right. I am expecting too much too soon. I guess I was expecting to have lost at least a whole kg! Nonetheless, your reply is really helpful. Thanks for taking the time. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi5WTpB/]
[/url]
Winnah

Return to Introductions