It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:00 pm

Free Newsletter

Sup

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Sup

Postby fatsucks » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Howdy,
I'm 27, male, wanting to lose 77.6 kg. When I started a week ago I weight 157.6 kg.... shocking.
My first weigh in was this morning - 4.7 kg down for my first week, so I'm very happy with that.
I've created a blog to share my journey, but mainly I think it's important for me to write everything down.
If you're interested, check it out:
http://lifecangetyoudown.blogspot.com/
I'll be hanging around here looking for advice and support. Just wanted to say hey.
Cheers
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTzJmNI/]
[/url]
fatsucks

Re: Sup

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi FatSucks

A number of members of this Website have lost amounts similar to what you intend. It can be done with education and perserverance.

Just a few thoughts on the matter:

I read your blog. It's interesting, and I can see where you're coming from. From my own experience I've found that trying to losing weight in isolation is difficult. What does seem to help is to make contracts with other people, such as a particular goal to be reached, then do it, then tell or show those people that it was done. The contracts don't have to be weight-related. They could be lifestyle related, such as not eating any takeaway for a fortnight, or symbolically flushing a sugary biscuit down the toilet each night!

Having been through much the same things as you talk about on your blog I've since realised now how important it is to change the relationship with food as much as the food itself.

Food shouldn't be a comforter, or a boredom-killer, or a hobby, or a drug. It's simply a system to deliver nutrients and energy.

Right, so a person changes to a healthy diet. Great!
But what will happen when the next psychological trigger sets off an "bugger it all, it doesn't matter, I'll eat whatever I want for the next few hours" feeding-frenzy? Self-loathing may cause a person to subconsciously use those "opportunities" to drive them further into the dirt (been there, done that! :)) Those opportunities for subconscious self-destruction have to be first recognised and then pushed to the background. Good intentions have to be turned into good habits, which takes time and effort. There are articles about this on the main website of this forum, and also some forum discussions in various areas.

It might be useful to develop lots of little tricks to buy time while forming good habits and a better sense self-worth. Some of the things I did early on was to direct my own self-loathing to the food that was the actual problem. Cakes, pizza, bread, pastries, biscuits - they became my mortal enemies and hid from my angry gaze whenever I passed their lair. Biscuits became a poison that I'd sometimes hold against my skin and imagine all the fat they produce caulking up my arteries. I would stare at a big juicy meat pie sitting in a shop window and imagine the excruciating pain of a heart attack felt like after eating a couple. If I felt like just giving up and going back to my old habits I'd talk myself into waiting until tomorrow and then seeing how I felt - and then I'd have another wait for the next day if necessary! But once the good habits were formed it became less necessary for the myriad of mental tricks to keep myself in line.

Anyway, I hope some of the above is useful, FS.
CronicBadger

Re: Sup

Postby fatsucks » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Heya, thanks so much for the detailed reply! Some great advice there. I like the idea of visualising the bad things that the tempting food will do to you.... I'll have to try that!

It's simply a system to deliver nutrients and energy.

Man I like that... so hard to think of food only like that though!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTzJmNI/]
[/url]
fatsucks

Return to Introductions