It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:13 pm

Free Newsletter

Newbie alert!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie alert!

Postby hopefully » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey,

My name is Amy and I live in the Brisbane area. I'm 25 and the last time I weighed myself [I do this as rarely as I possibly can] I was tipping the needle toward 130kgs.

I wish I could say I don't know how I got to this point, but I do. I'm lazy to the point of it being almost ridiculous - my job and hobbies revolve around a computer so it's incredibly easy for an entire day to go by where all I've done is walk to and from the bus stop. I also eat my feelings and am in a rocky place financially at the moment, which only adds to my weight issues.

I joined this forum because I'm sick of being 'that girl on the bus nobody sits next to' or 'that girl who could be pretty if she only lost some weight'. I'm surrounded in life by healthy sized friends and family who all are of the opinion that if I just put down the pork chop I'd be exactly the same as them. I joined this forum because I need to be around people who understand that being overweight and unhealthy is a lifestyle and it isn't as easy as just flipping the switch and -- OH! -- it's BarbieAmy a perfect size 10.

My plan is to eat healthily - keeping a food journal [which I might also copy to the forum somewhere here if there's an appropriate place for it], cut the carbs [which I have a very specific weakness for] and try to get some exercise every day. The exercise part is particularly hard for me as -- as I mentioned -- I have led a particularly inactive life and so my tolerance is quite low. My goal for the immediate future is going to be a 20minute walk everyday, which I will accomplish by getting off the bus 1 stop early on the way home from work.

I have high hopes for this community - I've read some of your stories and I really hope we can keep eachother honest, and if nothing else provide one another with a sounding board.

Well, internet. This is the biggest I'll ever be. Take what you can of 130kg Amy now. My first goal is to be under 120kgs.. and I suppose in order to monitor that goal, I'm going to need to go buy a scale tomorrow.

All my love, hope and support to you.
xx. A.
//CW: 130kg
//FG: 120kg
//EG: 80kg
hopefully

Re: Newbie alert!

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, Amy!

It sounds like you have a good plan for your exercise. Fitting in incidental exercise in your day by walking that extra bus stop should help a great deal. Have you worked out a plan for what you will do in bad weather? Will you still walk the extra distance if it is raining or incredibly hot? I know that my plans are often thwarted by poor weather, so it's good to have a back-up plan!

There is a section of the forum just for daily food diaries, or you can keep track of your eating in a personal progress journal.

You mentioned that you are a carb addict. Welcome to the club! If cutting down on your carbs doesn't suit you, you might want to look into low GI. That way you can still eat carbs, but you swap high GI carbs (eg. white bread) for low GI carbs (eg. wholegrain bread). They keep you feeling fuller for longer so you end up eating less. Some people find that easier to stick to.

Good luck with your weight loss journey. I hope you find the support here that you need!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Introductions