It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:55 am

Free Newsletter

Newbie here!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie here!

Postby Scorpio2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi all,

I am 33, 104 kilos, and have joint this forum for support as I am too embarrassed to tell friends and family about my weight loss plan. I don’t want the questions and especially the humiliation if I was to fail. I am so disgusted with myself for getting this size – it has not only affected my health but my self-esteem as I rarely want to go out anymore because of my weight. I was a very skinny child and started putting on weight in my early twenties.

I wear the same clothes all the time and am too embarrassed to shop (even in the big section of Target.) The last time I went shopping was before Christmas where I couldn’t fit into size 18 anymore. Size 20 made me look so fat that I ran out of the shop humiliated and swore I would never shop again. I avoid catching the train to work these days as I’m sick of being that person nobody wants to sit next to but will to avoid standing up. What’s worse is I work in the health industry surrounded by healthy skinny people.

Around 4 weeks ago, I finally had enough. I looked into all the weight programs and decided to join Lite N Easy. It was such a struggle to call them because once again was so embarrassed about my weight. I started on the 13th January and have lost 7 kilos to date. Even though I am happy with this progress I am starting to get anxious and impatient about how much weight I have to lose. I WANT TO LOSE IT NOW!!

My current goal is to get under 100 by the end of the month and walk twenty minutes a day.

I hope to share my goals and stories with people in these forums and even make some friends!

Look forward to seeing you in the forums :)

Kristen
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIEFeRx/]
[/url]
Scorpio2011

Re: Newbie here!

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Kristen

First, welcome to the forum. It's a good place to find useful information and encouragement. Your story's similar to that of many people here.

Although you already understand what I'm going to write next, I'll still write it:
Weight-loss takes time. There is no magically short-cut that is safe and sustainable. It is a change for life. It requires a change in the way a person thinks about food and a change of the habits that got that person fat in the first place. Being anxious and wanting an immediate reward is unrealistic and will doom a person to self-fulfilling failure (hmm, I suspect that's part of the reason how I got fat - wanting everything now - including the delightful sensations of eating and satiation - and not caring about the long-term consequences!).

Don't worry so much about what other people think about you in public. It's fleeting. Everyone - fat, thin, short, tall, rich, poor - is so concerned with their own appearance and of what other people think about them that they rarely have much time to notice and to make personal judgments about strangers. If they do actually take notice it's more a case of deciding how much of an inconvenience to them is created by a situation (like sitting next to a fat person on a train may take away some of their arm room, poor dears). It's often nothing personal at all.

The point is that you've finally decided to do something about it. Good on you! A lot of people don't and continue for the rest of their (somewhat shortened) life. Taking control and changing poor habits is a skill that, once mastered, can be applied to other areas of a person's life just as successfully.

Here in the forum you can join the challenges, chart your personal progress, tell your story, make deals and contracts and write down promises of behaviour, get encouragement and, if needed, a (gentle) kick up the rear-end from your fellow forum dwellers, and whatever it takes to stay on the weight-loss wagon and make the change to healthiness and happiness.

See you around. :)
CronicBadger

Postby Scorpio2011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Thank-you for the encouragement and wise words. I am trying very hard not to get impatient and anxious over my weight loss.

I am looking forward to starting challenges and hearing about others goals and stories.

My current goal is to try and stay positive for at least a couple of days!

See you around.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIEFeRx/]
[/url]
Scorpio2011

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Good for you for making a decision to do something about your weight and all the best with it. :D

As CB said .. it takes time. The weight didn't go on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight either. It's just a matter of eating healhy foods and doing regular exercise and it will come off ande STAY off. I started my at 96kg and am down to 70kg now and am feeling great. It has taken about 5 months so far and I am fully in the habit of eating healthy foods and exercing and it has now become a way of life.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Return to Introductions