It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Free Newsletter

HI IM NEW!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

HI IM NEW!

Postby Showtime » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:20 am

Hey there,

Been browsing the forum for about a week and finally got the guts to register! :D

Im a 24 year old male, muscly but also very overweight! So much so im beginning to really worry about my health and for the first time in my life Im actually getting puffed out walking around to the shops, up stiars, etc! Rather worrying especially at my age!

So I've really decided to do something about it, my first real effort at weightloss.

I will give you a short introduction of myself:

I am 130kgs, 5'11, the heaviest I have ever been. I high school I lost alot of weight but due to dubious reasons but I put it all back on about 3 years ago when I was diagnosed with depression... all I did was eat eat eat and drink ALOT and hated leaving the house. My whole life from then on has been dictated by how I percieve myself to look like to other people - quite gross, though most of my friends say to me "Youre so good looking!.... you know, if you werent fat (!!!!!)". I even got a night job (I work in press/editing etc) so I didnt have to be seen in daylight...sad state of affairs, huh ? :roll:

I have currently relocated cities within AUS to try and change some lifestyle habits for good (namely smoking and excessive eating whenever I get bored or emotional). I have started walking to work and walking home which is about 4/5 kilometres each way, which I think is a fairly good workout for someone who hasnt excercised for 4 years!

I joined this site to meet other people in my position, people seeking weight loss and just improvement of general health both physical and mental. I also joined this site in the hopes that someone can turn me on to an eating plan that I can follow through the week ? Is there one online ? I got infuriated with google pointing me to some crappy diet pill websites! Also if someone can show me some information on when to eat, how long between eating and exercise, etc, etc.

It is my hope to lose AROUND 20 kgs by February 1st, I wonder if thats even possible though! :lol:

Thank you for your time! Any feedback will be recieved greatly!

Wish me well! :oops: :P :wink:
Showtime

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:28 am

Hi there Showtime

firstly Welcome :) Image

secondly well done for taking the first few steps towards reaching your goal. get yourself a funky ticker like us and you will be motivated seeing that ticker move! there is some great information on the homepage http://www.weightloss.com.au and perhaps check out the daily food diary section on the forumt o get an idea of what other people eat.

everyone here has one goal in mind- to lose weight, but we are all on different plans. basically its trial and error to find which plan works for you and which doesnt. depends on your budget and so on. have a browse around and see if there is anything you would be interested in doing and some can point you in the direction you need to go. you are doing well with the walking, but you need to combine a healthy diet with your exercise.

for example when i started i cut out all soft drinks and drank water. instead of eating when im bored i find something to do -like scrapbooking! so if you have a hobby that helps :) also instead of reaching for sweets ill chew sugarfree gum or the Extra drops you can get.

im sure you will receive lots of good advice from everyone else on here who responds to your post and feel free to join in and contribute :)

best wishes for your weightloss journey and its ncie to ahve you on board :)

(p.s. the challenges and weigh ins are great encouragement and motivation too!!)
kate_turner2000

Postby GinaG » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi there Showtime

Welcome - and good luck with your goals :P

Good on you for joining this forum :D I think having people to talk to & to be supportive can only help us all.

:idea: I'm also interested in diet & exercise plans so if anybody out there has some...
Gina
GinaG

Postby Ally » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:11 pm

Hey there Showtime and Image to the forum!!

Well you have certainly lobbed in the right spot for motivation!! Take your time to check out the forum and have a squiz at the challenges section and see if you would like to join in with us as you are more than welcome to. We have a new November Challenge starting soon for Slimmer of the Month if you are interested!!

It is great that you have chosen to lose weight and get healthy! We are all on different programs/methods here. I just do a combination of healthy eating and exercise, we have a few on Tony Ferguson and Weight Watchers and others who are just eating healthy and exercising well, so don't be afraid to shout out if you need a hand with anything.

As Kate said, have a look over the food diary section, but please bare in mind that as a male you do need extra servings of protein and carbohydrates in order to lose weight. I am happy to Private Message you a guideline if you are interested. Just let me know and I will do that for you.

I wish you all the best with your weight loss journey!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dolly » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi Showtime, welcome to the forum.
Women can generally lose 1kg per week (if they set their mind to it) but guys I believe can lose a little more than that, so we'll be keen to see how much you can lose.
Quitting smoking will give you back some lung usage so you won't feel so puffed, it'll also prevent you getting a stroke so you won't end up in a wheelchair half paralyzed.
some different diets (the first one is quite good for balance without severe cravings)
Don't forget to put your name down in our forums November's Challenge. Image
Dolly

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:46 pm

Hi showtime and welcome to the forums . Feel free to jump on any topic. Hope to see you around the boards
Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby KimE » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:31 pm

Hello Showtime and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing some of your personal life with us it’s not always an easy thing to do and I appreciate it.

Well the walking is definitely a good start and remember to build it up slowly if you haven’t exercised for some time so maybe each week increase your pace a bit so that you are doing the same distance in less time. You may also want to add in some strength or weight training to maintain the muscle you now have whilst losing weight. Muscle burns more calories than fat does so it indirectly helps with weightloss. There are plenty of exercises you can do at home if you don’t want to go to the gym. I started off doing exercises with big tins of food as my weights and then exercises that use my body weight such as push ups, sit ups, crunches etc. Check out here for some starting tips on exercise.

It's hard to know what plan will work for you, sometimes you need to do the trial and error thing till you find what fits and feels right. Have a good look at the home page as there is a lot of info, tools and tips to help with eating. If you're still having trouble sing out.

I usually wait an hour after eating before I exercise and must admit I often eat within about 20 mins after exercising as I am usually hungry by then. However, I have read that you should wait about an hour after too as your body is still using/burning the fuel even after the exercise is finished and this way you let your body do it’s stuff before tackling a task like digestion. Not sure on the validity of that though.

20kgs in 3 months, personally I think is ambitious, which isn’t to say it can’t be done. Most info says ½ to 1 kilo a week is considered excellent weight loss and if someone asked me on how to set their goals I would say base it all on ½ kilo a week and anything more is a bonus, if you focus yes you will most likely well exceed ½ or even a kilo per week but not every single week for the length of your weightloss journey. I agree with Dolly though males generally speaking have more muscle and therefore burn more calories than us gals at any given time. There’s really no quick fix here it takes effort and commitment….yeah I know it sucks right! Stick with whatever you find works for you and you will get to your goal…don’t take no for an answer….be single minded. I have rambled enough....

I wish you every success on your weight loss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

hi there showtime

Postby fiona » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:32 pm

A BIG welcome to you. Well done for making the decision to lose weight.
My little bit of advice is this. Please see your doctor about going on a diet, they can often help put you in touch with dieticians and so on. They will also give you the low down on your health issues (smoking, drinking so on and the damage it may be doing to your poor body). :cry: :cry:
A Male friend of mine was 157kilos, couldn't walk properly and had diabetes as the result of being obese. he's now 130kilos and can walk a heap better. Even bought himself a walking machine! :lol:
Stay positive ok? plenty of people here to give you that support that is ssoooooooo important.
see ya around
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNxsd9O/]
[/url]
fiona

Postby Showtime » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:40 am

Hi everyone! Thanks for your supportive words.

You know I didnt think encouragement would help me keep focused but reading all your replies made me think otherwise! Thank you all.

A very slim, attractive female coworker came up to me last night at work and saw the smoked salmon on rice crackers with salad I was snacking on and bellowed "Why the hell are you eating DIET FOOD ?!". Naturally everyone turned, stared and smirked while I wished a sour cream cheesecake would materialise in front of me, haha.

The exercise is easier than I imagined when I concentrate and apply myself rather than thinking it to be a chore, of course, a good ipod or mp3 player works wonders. For those of you in Sydney I walk from Circular Quay to Bondi Beach home from work and vice versa to work so im getting some good mileage. Tomorrow I want to walk home via the Pyrmont fish markets and get some dolphin fish (not the actual dolphin...) to grill.

I had forgotten that nice food doesnt necessarily have to be filled to the hilt with sugar to be enjoyable! hehe.

Thanks again everyone, warm wishes.

:wink:
Showtime

Postby Ally » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:48 am

Geez showtime....think your co-worker needs an attitude adjustment!! (I think I would have smushed it in her face!!! LOL) Don't let the likes of her get you down.....it really goes to show that it doesn't matter what we look like on the outside, but it is our inner personality that makes the difference!!! You keep eating your healthy food mate and don't let anyone put you down for it.

I am glad that you enjoyed your exercising...it makes the job that much easier!! Good on you!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:06 am

Hi showtime

yeah dont let her get you down. everyone tends to make comments like that when you are trying to lose weight. im sure it has happened at one point or another to all of us here! then when you lose all that weight they will be saying 'wow you look great how did you manage to do that?' and you can say 'when you were pissing on me in front of everyone for eating craCKERs!'

glad you cleared up the dolphin fish thing-im blonde-
kate_turner2000

Postby Fairie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:03 am

Welcome Showtime, good on you for deciding to change your lifestyle to a healthy one. You will get heaps of support from everyone here, it is not easy but we are all here to help each other when the going gets tough. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Mandie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 am

Good on you Showtime for making these first steps - the walking to and from work sounds like a fantastic effort!

I'd agree with some advice already posted - see your GP. They can refer you to a dietician who can give you some great, personalised advice.. you can tell him/her what foods you like and don't like, and the times you tend to eat, and that kind of thing, and you could work out a plan together. You wouldn't have to pay to see them regularly if you didn't want to, once you get on track with a good plan you should be able to tell if it is working for you or not in a couple of weeks!

Best of luck, ignore the naysayers... can you imagine how awesome it is going to be when you are HOT and showing off your muscles without the fat in the way, and that girl will be drooling, and you can tell her where to go!

It's been said before:

Looking GREAT is the best revenge!

Good luck! :D
Mandie

Postby Livy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:01 am

Hi Showtime,
I live on a cattle station in Central QLD and SERIOUSLY HATE walking! Between the heat, flies and sweat, it's not pleasant.
Yet, I keep walking, daily. I used to walk 6kms at once, but now have divided it up into 2 parts. 3kms in the morning, and 3kms in the afternoon. I have a little one, so I push her in the pram.

2 things have REALLY helped keep me going. I bought a cheap ($10!!) CD walkman off ebay second hand, and I listen to talking books on it. I have read some great novels on my walking expeditions!!! I really look forward to finding out what is going to happen next in the book, and listen to the CDs at no other time, so I HAVE to walk to listen to my book! I get the talking books from the local library. This takes the boredom out of walking.

The other thing is that I joined a site called walkingwithattitude.com It's just brilliant, check it out, basically, every time you walk, you are actually walking around Australia (there are loads of trips to choose from! This is also great motivation, when walking time comes and you just couldn't be bothered. It's $30 a year to subscribe, but TOTALLY worth it. There is no way I would walk without these two things, it's just too boring for me otherwise!

You WILL get there if you stick at it!

Liv
Livy

Postby KimE » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:05 am

Fantastic info there Livy! That walking with attitude site is fantastic thanks for mentioning it. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Next

Return to Introductions