It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 am

Free Newsletter

I just saw an old picture of myself

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

I just saw an old picture of myself

Postby Miss-J » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:45 am

:cry:

I am 23, and tonight a friend from high school posted some old photos of us on Facebook. I had forgotten how small I was. I still have those clothes from the pictures in vacuum bags tucked at the back of my wardrobe and compared to me now they look like something a 5 year old would wear - and not even possibly *this* body 5 years ago.

The worst part is I knew I was getting bigger and for the most part I just ignored it. Because I had a boyfriend who loved me and who fed me nachos and chocolate and pasta and takeout four days a week for three and a half years. Because I fed myself these things and more for a year after we broke up - probably because they reminded me of him and being in our little romance zone, so if I had that I wouldn't feel so alone. Because for six months I bought pasta for lunch instead of sandwiches just because I wanted something warm and creamy to eat in the coffee-scented air-conditioning of my office. Of course I was getting bigger!

Looking at this photo.. well, none of those "becauses" were a good enough reason to go from 55/60 to 83kg. I know there are a lot of people on here who weigh more than me or who have a lot more they want to lose, but I believe every body has a basic weight that it should be and while I even had a little bit of a belly at 60 I know that this figure is what I should be.

Oh god. I just realised I have gained over 33% of my body weight in the last 5 years. Suddenly this has all started to feel just that little bit more impossible. I need a plan, an aim. Baby steps that don't feel so incredibly small that they're pointless. I have been being good for the last month or so; making healthier choices 9 times out of 10, exercising at least twice a week, drinking lots of water, taking vitamins and heart-rate enhancers. I haven't lost 1kg. Over the years I've tried TF and LemonDetox (that stuff is disgusting! I made one bottle of it, took two sips and threw the whole $90 package out) but anything I ever lost I put right back on plus interest the first time I even so much as walked past a donought store.

I don't know why I'm posting here anymore. I don't even know if I should post this, it's not very productive at all. Actually... I will. Hopefully there's someone in the room who gets it. Who has been here before and can say something magical that will turn on a light in my brain that gives me faith that the basic science of 'burn more than you consume' will actually work this time.

Urgh, I'm never this despirate and pathetic I swear! :oops:
Miss-J

Re: I just saw an old picture of myself

Postby SkinnyBride2B » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 am

Hi Miss-J

I know how you feel, i put on almost 30kg in 2 years after i left uni and moved in with my boyfriend. I think a lot of it came down to 'freedom' and wanting to cook and eat all this glorious food now that we were out living together. Like you, i knew i was getting bigger, and clothes sizes would increase and id wear them until i grew out of them and brought the next size up. I went from 70kg to 98kg in 2 years and i didnt exercise once in that time.

1st January this year id had enough and i joined the gym and brought all the healthy foods. Im in my 7th week now and have lost over 10kg.

You can do this Miss J - its just finding the right reasons to do it and living it every single day. For me now, if i work my butt off at the gym of a morning, im not going to sabatage that by eating crap over the day (or that night). And just start by 'starting' - i have a weekly aim of losing 1 kilo and that makes the bigger picture less daunting.

Do it for you.

Good luck
SkinnyBride2B

Return to Introductions