It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:31 am

Free Newsletter

Hi i'm a newbie... and slightly afraid

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi i'm a newbie... and slightly afraid

Postby kik0711 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

Wow well the closest thing that I've ever done to this would be joining a wedding forum when I was engaged. I'm married now...24 years old and gained about 10kg since getting married two years ago. It is completely depressing not being able to fit into any of my clothes... I having to now buy clothing 3 dress sizes up from where I was in 2008. The sad thing is people around me seem to be loosing the weight... doing lite n easy (which I tried, but was too expensive for me) or on these Censored diets... I just have no idea what to do or how to do it. I :cry:

I work full time, do a lot of volunteer work and also study online part-time doing my post grad .. so while I would like to say I will be exercising... I'm not really too sure how that would work.. I'm not easily motivated.. but I'm hoping being on here will give me a sense of accountability and hope. When I look in the mirror... I just want to cry!!!! I know I'm being melodramatic.. people all around the world are dying and here I am complaining because of the way I look... It seems stupid .. doesn't it!!! Sad thing is that it's beginning to really affect me. This is the first time I've been overweight!! All my life I've been incredibly underweight... my first year of uni I was 39kg... ( i ate all the time...and didn't watch what I was eating then).. this was a very very long time ago now.

My husband says he loves me but I know it matters to him :cry: :cry:

Hope I'm not the only one out there who feels this way ...

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated... I only want to drop 10kg to begin with... how long should I give myself to achieve this??

Re: Hi i'm a newbie... and slightly afraid

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 pm

It all depends on how overweight you are. There are BMI calculators that can estimate a person's optimal weight range, food and exercise guides, etc on the website associated with this forum.

Another thing that will dictate your optimal weight is muscle mass - if you are now more active than you were at university then you will have more muscle tissue, which weighs more than fat of the same volume. As for how long to lose 10 Kg, it's generally accepted that a loss of 1 Kg per week is the maximum safe loss rate, but that may vary - people smaller than average may have a smaller maximum safe loss rate.

And finally, try not to get obsessed with the scales. It's more important to maintain good overall health in order to increase your statistical chances of warding off diseases and surviving illnesses.

Postby SkinnyBride2B » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:48 am

Hi KK,

You can do this thing - i lost 10 kilos in 7 weeks.

You know the hardest bit is always starting but once you start the 'fatness' [slowly] becomes history.

I started by doing the grocery shopping and not buying one once of junk - all fruit, vege and meat. Eat only when your hungry and drink lots of water to keep hunger away.

Keep us updated... good luck!

Postby ada123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:56 pm

this is really very great to be here,, on this forum site.. I really like to be here.. and After reading your all welcome note.. this become more excited to be here.. Thanks buddy!!!

Postby Emlu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 am

Hello there,
Thanks for sharing :)
I've gained weight too after getting married ;)
But in the last 6 months I've found some really key things that just didn't dawn on me earlier.
Food: My husband is on board & eats mainly what I do, but since he needs more KJ and is fit I add those to the vege based dish instead of trying to add more vege to mine -make sense? I love cooking so in a way the food are has been easy because I like to spend the time planning & creating healthy food. You said the liteneasy was expensive and it is, at ~ $10 a meal.
We now eat many more different veggies, and aren't restricted by trying to buy only cheap veggies, as that can be boring, and the more tasty vege can be more expensive. So eat less meat, meat is much more expensive per kilo. If you don't have kids/others eating with you maybe try Aussie Farmers Direct where you can small amounts and also don't end up buying other bad foods.
Also my hubby does exercise cycling to/from work, & does muscle building exercises, so we don't work out together, but we do always walk alot ie. To the shops, along the beach, etc. So trying to make our relax weekend time active. I have a buddy to work out with, even though she only joins me 1-2 times a week it helps to not always do it alone.

I also have a question, 39kg is a very low weight, but of course it depends, how tall are you?

Welcome :) I have just joined up for support too.

Postby bebebiggirl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Hello newbie from newbie :)
I am a newbie too :lol: and start losing weight :D
I think you will lose weight as you choose the fit program for you and taking it right.
I am using "HerbalLife" products. It's quite good. It's working for me so I stay with it.
Hope you get the right products for you, "co-newbie" :wink:
Try more than your best and get your hus back :D ( I meant to his original love :D)

Postby PraetorAuron » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 am

Yeah 39kg is ~89 pounds. Thats kind of low, but like the AP said, it all depends on height.

Return to Introductions