It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:12 am

Free Newsletter

Hi :)

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi :)

Postby InspireMe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi,
I'm a 30 year old single mother and struggling big time with my weight. I think what I need is some inspiration from others who are going through the same thing and doing something about it.

Since I had my son 3 and a half years ago, I have put on 35kg, and I was overweight to start with. Tonight I got on the scales and when I saw that I now weigh 130kg I felt disgusted with myself to have let it get this bad. I often feel inspired and start eating well and exercising, and last a few days to a couple of weeks, then I just fall back into my old bad habits.

My weakness is snacking in the evening, I eat dinner with my son at 6pm but by about 9-10pm I feel hungry again. I need to do something, I'm sick of having to buy new and bigger clothes, I wear a size 24 bottom and a size 18-20 top. I'd love to be a size 14 again like I was many years ago! I still have a few of my favourite clothing items from back then too I just haven't been able to throw out.

My ideal weight for my height is apparently 57 - 75kg, so 55kg to go at the least to be ideal, that seems so scary! I think my first goal is to get under 120kg, that's a little less overwhelming

I look forward to meeting others in my same predicament, most of my friends are slim and trim, and then at home the only person to support me is my 3 year old son, who I need to set a good example for, and also be fit enough to play with him as much as I can.
24/02/2011 - 130.2kg - Start Date
03/03/2011 - 129.1kg - Week 1
10/03/2011 - 127.3kg - Week 2
2.9kg Lost
InspireMe

Re: Hi :)

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi InspireMe,

I went through much the same thing:
* ballooned up to 128 kilos by putting on 40 Kg in just 4 years
* loved to snack at night
* often started dieting and stuck to it for a few days or a week before "forgetting" or giving up

I think that for me the initial success of breaking the cycle was important. It's written somewhere that a habit takes three weeks of constant repetition to set in the mind. By sticking to a regime of not snacking at night after tea I managed to turn that into a new habit. A few "tricks" helped - eating low-GI food kept the cravings at bay, and I kept busy at other things rather than get bored and start grazing in the cupboard.

One other thing I can suggest is that "success breeds success", so set some small goals and STICK TO THEM. Things like not snacking for 3 days in a row. Throwing that packet of biscuits into the bin. Walking down to the shops but not buying anything 3 days in a row. Be happy about those little successes then push harder by setting larger goals.

That's a start, I guess. One other mental "trick" I use is to realise that we are more in control of ourselves than we think. We got fat because we controlled the amount of food we ate. The same goes for losing that weight - just reverse the process. :-)
CronicBadger

Postby InspireMe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:04 pm

CronicBadger wrote:Hi InspireMe,

I went through much the same thing:
* ballooned up to 128 kilos by putting on 40 Kg in just 4 years
* loved to snack at night
* often started dieting and stuck to it for a few days or a week before "forgetting" or giving up

I think that for me the initial success of breaking the cycle was important. It's written somewhere that a habit takes three weeks of constant repetition to set in the mind. By sticking to a regime of not snacking at night after tea I managed to turn that into a new habit. A few "tricks" helped - eating low-GI food kept the cravings at bay, and I kept busy at other things rather than get bored and start grazing in the cupboard.

One other thing I can suggest is that "success breeds success", so set some small goals and STICK TO THEM. Things like not snacking for 3 days in a row. Throwing that packet of biscuits into the bin. Walking down to the shops but not buying anything 3 days in a row. Be happy about those little successes then push harder by setting larger goals.

That's a start, I guess. One other mental "trick" I use is to realise that we are more in control of ourselves than we think. We got fat because we controlled the amount of food we ate. The same goes for losing that weight - just reverse the process. :-)

Thanks for the advice! I'm working on changing my habits slowly, and stopping myself from eating anything but a piece of fruit or some veges if I get hungry in the evenings, and drinking more water throughout the day, and eating breakfast, which I rarely do, to get my metabolism going. Seems to be easy enough to do so far, and since I weighed myself 2 nights ago I'm down 1.2kg so far, though I'll see how that goes over time as my weight seems to fluctuate at certain times of month.
I know I don't eat foods that are that bad, I just eat too much and at the wrong times of day
24/02/2011 - 130.2kg - Start Date
03/03/2011 - 129.1kg - Week 1
10/03/2011 - 127.3kg - Week 2
2.9kg Lost
InspireMe

Postby ada123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Hello.. friends.. I am all new to this forum site,.. this is really very great to be here.. I am enjoying a lot on this forum site..
ada123

Return to Introductions