It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Free Newsletter

Making myself accountable

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Making myself accountable

Postby White Telopea » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi All
Just a little about myself. I live in North West Tasmania. I have gained weight gradually over the years due to poor eating habits, getting little exercise and having a sedentary job. After learning to drive in 2002 I got even less exercise and gained more weight each year. My heaviest weight was 93.6 kgs in November 2009.
Prior to last winter I decided that I wasn't going to put on weight over the winter so started walking around 30 mins three or four times a week and watching what I ate. Mainly cut the junk from my diet. Shortly after this I booked a holiday in Europe in September so I had another goal, to get fit. Needed to be fit enough to keep up with the walking that would be involved in sightseeing. After getting home from holiday I'm not certain what my weight was however my jeans fitted (no muffin top).
After the holiday I increased the walking to 30 mins 5 times a week and got a walking buddy. However my eating habits declined with more junk in my diet and not cooking proper meals so ending up eating whatever was easy. I didn't gain a large amount of weight as my clothes were only a little tighter but I was falling backing into my old habits. During December I got back on track with better food choices and started tracking my walking with a smart phone app and using another one to record water consumption.
At the beginning of February the local council started a 10 week program to encourage healthy eating and exercise participation within the community. This involved organised free exercise opportunities (boxercise, boot camp, zumba, pilates, walking groups, swimming), weigh in sessions and information nights about healthy eating, exercise etc. Each participant was also given a Fitness Journal and Diary for recording food and activity, I have been using the diary for all food and activity.
At the start of the program my weight was 87.9 kgs (BMI 32.2) and my goal was to lose 5 kgs during the program. After the first fortnight I had put on 800 grams but had expected this due to already planned events over the previous 2 weeks.
We changed our walking time to 6.00 am each morning and 8.00 on weekends and started walking 7 days a week and increased the time to 1 hour on Saturday and Sunday. Our weekend walks include a large hill. We intend to keep this up over the winter but know that there will be some days when we can't walk or we can only go for a short walk. During March we walked 107 kms and hopefully will maintain over 100 kms each month. Incidental walking is not counted.
We have also been doing the free zumba weekly and will continue this now that we have to pay. I will also need to include some weight training into the exercise program soon.
For food I have been watching what I eat and now have a healthy eating program (I am not on a diet, it's about correcting my poor eating habits). A typical day would be
Breakfast: porridge
Lunch: Salad sandwich (no meat) or vege soup with tomato on toast (wholemeal grain bread)
Dinner: Meat with 4 or 5 veg or Garden salad with coleslaw, pasta salad, redbeet and cheese or a chicken and vegetable stir fry with noodles and a cup of tea
Daily Snacks: Coffee, 2 Fruit (grapes, apple or pear) and sml yoghurt
Water: Between 1.8 to 2.2 litres a day
Occasional Snacks: Mini Muffin (Sweet or Savoury), Sml muesli bar, Sml Hot chocolate, Vodka and Lemonade/soda. One each of these a week.
Rare Snacks: Dark chocolate (3 squares), Sml ice cream, Liquorice Allsorts (3), Bite size chocolate bar. I use these options when a craving for something sweet strikes.
I also have sweets with dinner once a week and have not cut sugar from my porridge, coffee or tea as I have a sweet tooth. This enables me to maintain the above eating plan without getting to the point where I have to have sugar and then blow out because I eat a large block of chocolate or bag of lollies. I also have margarine on my bread and in my mashed potato and dressing on my salad and do not intend to cut these from my diet..
My weight at the last official weigh in (24/3) was 83.5 kgs and is currently 81.8 (BMI 29.7). I have started weighing myself daily to ensure that weight does not start to creep back on. I don't kick myself if I put on weight once and I have not had my weight increase twice in a row so at the moment I am happy with the daily weighing. I have also been measuring my waist, hips etc so that I have another measure to gauge my progress. I have lost 4 cm off my waist and 1 cm off both my bust and hips. BMI, Waist to Hip and Waist to Height ratios have all improved. I think most of the weight has come of my thighs and lower legs as my clothes are loser around my thighs and I have lost 2 cms off my calves.
As my initial goal of losing 5 kgs during the council program has been achieved I have made a new goal of achieving a weight of 80 kgs by 21 April. After this my goal is to consolidate the weight loss for a couple of weeks before striving for a weight of 73 kgs and then to 68 kgs. My ultimate goal is to reach 61 kgs (BMI 22.1) or be able to wear size 12 clothes whichever is achieved first.
Sorry for the long winded post but it has helped to get this all down so that I can make myself accountable for my actions in health and fitness.
Thanks for reading.
Allison
Regards to all
Allison

HW: 93.6 (Nov 2009)
SW: 87.9 (10/2/11)
Mini Goal 1: 82.9 (achieved 30/3/11)
Mini Goal 2: 80.0 (achieved 21/4/11 - 79.9)
Mini Goal 3: 73.0, BMI 26.5
Mini Goal 4: 68.0, BMI 24.7
GW: 61.0, BMI 22.1 or be able to wear size 12 clothes whichever comes 1st.
White Telopea

Re: Making myself accountable

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi Allison

You seem to have got right into weight-loss mode. Surrounding yourself with support is a good idea - and even better if it's free! :-) And I like the idea of "I am not on a diet, it's about correcting my poor eating habits".

Perhaps you can keep us posted with your progress in the "Person Progress" section of the forum. Anyway, welcome to the Weight-loss Forum.
CronicBadger

Re: Making myself accountable

Postby White Telopea » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks for the welcome, Chronic Badger.

I have weigh-in this evening so will use the "person progress" section to update.

Thanks again,
Allison
Regards to all
Allison

HW: 93.6 (Nov 2009)
SW: 87.9 (10/2/11)
Mini Goal 1: 82.9 (achieved 30/3/11)
Mini Goal 2: 80.0 (achieved 21/4/11 - 79.9)
Mini Goal 3: 73.0, BMI 26.5
Mini Goal 4: 68.0, BMI 24.7
GW: 61.0, BMI 22.1 or be able to wear size 12 clothes whichever comes 1st.
White Telopea

Return to Introductions