It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:24 am

Free Newsletter

My quiet little declaration

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

My quiet little declaration

Postby time_to_live » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Well reality has struck home. After several years of full on rebellion against the 'diet' mentality and being on overactive self destruct - I finally went out and bought some scales and stood on them today. I knew I was going to be in for a rude shock, but it was soooo far beyond what I had let myself think that it might be that it just kind of blew me away.

People are complex (and generally not very wise) creatures and I'm clearly no exception. I've been on a never ending rollercoaster of binge eating, exercise addiction, strict diets and endless 'rules' for as long as I can remember and each year I reckon the stupidity of it all makes me just that bit more hollow. Despite my physical vastness I sometimes wonder that there is anything of 'ME' left to see any more.

So, despite the fact that life is not easy and that I am struggling (like all mere mortals), I have decided that the excuses must stop NOW. That despite the difficulties that my mind is already gearing up to bombard me with, that I AM going to do that which needs to be done. I am going to start living because existing is no longer enough (and it never was).

I hope there are others out there who would like to share in my journey and who in turn would like to share their own journeys with me. All things in life are easier when you've got good people to share them with.

Ciao from 138.7kg of determination (and shrinking)
Kim
time_to_live

Re: My quiet little declaration

Postby Skinny Jeggings » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:15 pm

You go girl! I will be with you on your journey. I am also at the same point!
SW - 63 kg
CW - 63 kg
GW - 60 kg
UWG - 53 kg

Smaller Portions.
2 Fruit/5 Veges.
Exercise 3 times weekly.
Skinny Jeggings

Postby Talien » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:11 pm

I will be with you!
I have only dieted and exercised once properly and back then I lost thirty kilos. I felt great (which is more important to me than looks). Mostly though its wierd, 90% of the time I don't "feel" fat. But each time i look in the mirror it's like 'whoa, how'd that happen'.
So I've had enough!
I want to do it and I need to do it!
I'll be egging you on the whole way :D
*~*~* BMR: 8,155 *~*~* 5,500kj Food Plan *~*~* Aim: 70kg *~*~*
MAY CHALLENGE:
Starting Weight: 117.6kg
Weekly Weigh-in: Monday 2/5: 117.6; Monday 9/5: 116.6
Talien

Postby time_to_live » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks guys!

it's great to connect with others on similar journey's and words of support are always motivating :D
time_to_live

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Welcome TTL

You'll find that many, if not most of the people here have a similar background to yours - not realising the extent of the problem, yoyo-dieting, poor self-image, and so on. To lose a lot of weight often seems like an insurmountable problem and makes the seemingly "easier" course of action (to just give up) more palatable.

But you wouldn't have joined the forum if you hadn't decided to try again and try something different, so the mere fact you're here chatting now and sharing your story is an encouraging sign. Losing weight is simply a matter of commitment and education and attitude. Different people may approach the task in different ways, but at its core is a willingness to change and take control of one's life. It's one of the greatest opportunities a person can have.

So, read the forum messages, read through the main website's excellent articles, discuss, learn and maintain focus. You'll do well.
CronicBadger

Postby Metalcharm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 am

You're starting off with a great attitude which is a hurdle in itself!
Arm youself with all the knowledge you need to know what foods are healthy and which exercises are the most beneficial and get out there and do it!
You will feel so much better for it and wonder why it took so long to start!

Good luck :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby time_to_live » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks for the encouragement MC & CB I appreciate the advice.

Doing well right now. It took me quite a while to gear up to committing myself to making this positive change in my life and commitment is definitely what I'm feeling now. Genuinelly knowing there is really no choice but to change and having enough experience to know that it has to be steady and sustainable to succeed in the long term is helping to keep me focused.

The temptation to take the 'easy' way out and give up are present in my mind a hundred times a day at the moment but I'm finding checking into this forum and seeing that this is not just my struggle but a problem that many are grappling with is helping to keep me on track. I've always been a very private person and that has actually evolved into being something of a problem over the last few years as I have increasingly shut myself off from everyone and to new experiences.

Like so many folk, my weight is as much a symptom as it is 'the problem' and I'm glad I found this forum to be a part of as I undertake this challenging journey to change my life around.

Kim
time_to_live

Return to Introductions