It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 am

Free Newsletter

New & unusual - going on an anti-diet

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New & unusual - going on an anti-diet

Postby aspiringslimmer » Mon May 09, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi all,
I've lost my login details so I'm starting anew... which aligns with my new, revised approach!
After years of thinking I knew so much about nutrition - course I know how many calories are in that! - I'm back with a quest to end the battle for good. Call it an epiphany, but I suddenly realised my body is not the enemy. Food is not the enemy. And there is much more to wellbeing than a waist measurement.

So my new self-program integrates the psychological and physical, which - shock, horror, who knew? - are not mutually exclusive. It includes re-imagining food, from something to be deemed good or bad and used as a device for reward or redemption, to something that needs to nourish mind, body and spirit. Ás my background is in marketing, I'm writing it as a marketing program, to sell myself new beliefs and behaviours that reinforce my worthiness of absolute health and happiness (an antidote to the subconscious sources of self-sabotage I know many of us encounter).

It's a bit experimental - cue yoga (learning to love and respect one's body), mindful eating (essentially being truly aware of food's smell, texture, taste and how it feels in my body rather than thinking whether it's going to make me fat), ensuring my diet includes the 39 essential nutrients and nutrients vital to neurotransmitters (forget making you fat... that blueberry danish is butchering your biochemistry, perpetuating neuro patterns that run counter to your physical goals - talk about undermining your own chances of success). Cornerstones will be including foods that boost seratonin and dopamine, to ward off emotional binge/overeating risk factors. Etc, etc.

Final rule is 'no fundamentalism'. No calling one food bad and another, good. While healthful choices will be preferred, there will be no guilt or retribution (aside from adverse effects) for any choice. And there will be no calorie ceiling, against which our human psychology naturally rebels, ensuring we flout our own restrictions, chalk up a failure, distrust or even despise ourselves and as a result undermine the very outcomes we believe we want.

Looking forward to hearing your stories, and sharing mine! :)

Re: New & unusual - going on an anti-diet

Postby Eddie » Tue May 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi aspiringslimmer. All very interesting. You've clearly given the whole thing a lot of thought, good luck with it and please let us know how you progress.

Re: New & unusual - going on an anti-diet

Postby Patientperson » Sat May 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Well every eating plan is a "diet" by definition. Regardless you seem to have planned this quite nicely, so I hope you will have great results but always remember to self-correct and challenge everything you think and do.
Don't give up!

Return to Introductions