It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:42 am

Free Newsletter

hi, i'm new to this :)

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

hi, i'm new to this :)

Postby priestess88 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:10 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to learning from everyone here :)

I'm 35 years old, currently weigh 84kgs and started lite n easy program a week ago today, which i've been on years ago...i'm enjoying it so far and have lost 2 kgs in a week. but i'm worried about the maintenance phase - what/how to cook and maintain weight afterwards.

I've commenced a fitness regime - i walk on my treadmill 40 minutes a day for at least 4 days a week (I started exercising 2 weeks before commencing lite n easy), and i joined up to aqua zumba and aqua aerobics (I do either of these once a week - I am doing aqua aerobics for the first time tonight.) I have people to go with so I feel supported in this and motivated.

I'm a mum to 3 children aged 15, 13 and almost 11 (one of my sons is turning 11 next week, pizza party will be a big challenge for me!) I have a rather sedentary job in an office. I also have a challenge coming up, where my work is having their very belated christmas party at an Indian Restaurant - does anyone know what food you can eat there that is healthy that wouldn't blow out the diet? I've googled a couple of things but I'm not familiar with Indian food other than butter chicken and beef korma and naan bread (all of which I believe I should avoid like the plague.)

I'm looking forward to chatting to everyone...better get off to work now or else I won't be able to afford lite n easy deliveries if they sack me lol!

Cheers and thanks in advance for any tips/advice.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSvycBb/]
[/url]
priestess88

Re: hi, i'm new to this :)

Postby danmo48 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:51 am

Hi there priestess and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the weightloss so far.

I used to be on lite n easy but had to stop for financial reasons. It is good to do but can be a challenge too.

In regards to going to an Indian restaurant for a work function, stick to tomato based sauces that don't have coconut cream or milk in it. Something like a Chicken masala is a good idea to have. If you are unsure about what is in the recipes just ask. You are definitely right to avoid the butter chicken, korma and naan cause they aren't good.

Good luck with your journey. :-)
danmo48

Postby Metalcharm » Mon May 16, 2011 11:12 am

Hi Priestess . .welcome and congrats on your losses so far.

Indian food is a big minefield as they use ghee in a lot of their dishes which should be avoided as it's clarified butter so is basically nearly pure fat. I'm not really up on what contains what specifically but go for the healthier option, practise portion control and you won't wreck what you've already achieved! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby priestess88 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:44 am

Thanks Metalcharm - I might see if I can go for a steamed vegetable curry dish and an entree size at that...I really don't know much about Indian food, but the 'pure fat' thing is really a big turn off - thanks for the heads-up on that one :)
[/url]
priestess88

Postby priestess88 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 am

oooh thanks Danmo48...chicken marsala it is :) hopefully with a lot of steamed veggies on the side!

the problem is, the boss pre-ordered the banquet so i can't just choose my own meal, but i'll keep an eye out for the one chicken marsala, avoid the butter chicken and target the veggies...i'm now working out at the gym 5 to 6 times a week so hopefully i can come home from this and run it all off lol :)

thanks for your responses, i do appreciate them all.
[/url]
priestess88

Postby billbonanno86 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Hello Guys!..
My name is Bill I'm new here..I'm looking for a perfect weight loss program.. Is their anyone who could help me out here...?
billbonanno86

Postby priestess88 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:41 pm

hey Bill,

i started lite & easy a week ago today, but i started an exercise regime 2 weeks prior to that to get myself used to the idea of exercise.

they say it takes 21 days to form a habit so hopefully i'm close to being in a habit of exercising...and getting there with learning portion control and types of foods i should be eating, and eating in moderation the things that i shouldn't!

i find lite & easy to be good food, i'm not hungry, there's a variety of different foods - i can't survive on tony ferguson shakes or opti fast or slim, whichever it is (i just learned today that apparently some doctors recommend the opti (fast?) program because it's designed to eat the fat away - i did that diet years ago, lost 27kgs, but i was going thru a divorce so my frame of mind was self-harming at all costs, and i had nothing but shakes, broccoli and water for months! totally don't recommend that to anyone! and of course, the weight just piled back on when i got over my divorce.)

for me, lite & easy is teaching me how much and what to eat, and i'm exercising more and drinking water...it's working for me and i think i can manage when it's time to get off this program. it can be expensive though...i'm doing my own breakfasts and only ordering lunches and dinners, and extra desserts (apple crumble) to have twice a week - i figure that if i'm going to crave some sweet foods, i may as well make it healthy and this way i don't fail - this is worked out beautifully for me so far cos i haven't eaten chocolate (unless it's the lite & easy chocolate cake!), and haven't been tempted to eat something i shouldn't be eating.

with so many programs out there, it's hard to say what works for every individual. good luck with whatever you choose though - let us know how you go :)
[/url]
priestess88

Postby Patientperson » Fri May 20, 2011 12:42 am

Hello Priestess,

I think the first and last thing in weight loss is calorie counting and besides that forming a habit for exercise as you discussed above is a great safeguard to make sure you do not gain any weight back.
And yes there are tons of good programs, diets, guides etc many of them free for anyone to choose. I have tried lots of online and offline methods and I am currently doing [LINK REMOVED] along with Jillian Michaels' meltdown regime and it works fine for me.

I repeat though, calorie counting is the most important thing (in my opinion) in dieting.
Last edited by CronicBadger on Fri May 20, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial link.
Don't give up!
Patientperson

Return to Introductions