It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:27 am

Free Newsletter

Intro to me and a question

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Intro to me and a question

Postby Gremlin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi, I'm Gremlin (not my real name :) ). I'm a 35 year old male and before I started my journey I was 153kg. I'm now 128kg and on my way to 100kg. I have two wonderful kids and a wonderful wife who deserve to have me around and in good heath. I've joined to try and get some extra support during the "tough periods".

I've been calorie counting and exercising regularly. My work colleagues think I'm strange when I whip out a set of scales and weigh everything before I eat it. I'm targeting calories and exercise loads to lose a kilo a week and I'm getting there on average. But it often comes about as two or three weeks with no progress and then a week where I lose 3 or 4 kg. I don't do anything differently week to week. My question is should I be worried about how I'm losing 3 to 4 kg in the weeks where I see progress as I don't want to stack it back on when I get to "maintain" mode?
Gremlin

Re: Intro to me and a question

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi Gremlin

Here's my take on things:

The body can be erratic at times, and has evolved to do what it does in order to survive. It will stockpile fat, water, salt, etc when it needs to and these will cause variations to either side of average weight over short periods of time. However, the basic physics behind fat-loss remain - a certain energy deficit will cause a certain amount of fat to be "burnt up". As a result, you're still averaging 1 kilo a week regardless of the variations which eventually swing back to normal or to the other side.

You seem to be doing fine so just keep on doing what you're doing.
CronicBadger

Postby Gremlin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Thanks CB. A bit of positive reinforcement is what I'm needing right now...
Gremlin

Postby venyov » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:46 am

Hi Gremlin!

There is nothing to worry about. CrinicBadger is right.

I do recommend you to keep a journal as well, so you can find out what exactly stops you from losing kgs.

Another thing could be some stress in your life.

If you have stress your body produces too much hormones which messes the metabolism up.

One more: too much exercise makes you acidic. It happens often.

In this situation your liver doesn't process the fat properly.

The conclusion is, it doesn't matter how many pounds do you lose per week.

What matters is that you are losing them.

Good luck to you and stay around for support.
venyov

Return to Introductions