It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:47 am

Free Newsletter

Help needed since quitting smoking

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Help needed since quitting smoking

Postby Jac275 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:04 am

I quit smoking 2 weeks ago through hypnotherapy, and while the non smoking is going great and i feel so much better, i have gained about 3kg already. I have changed my eating habits, so i am eating healthier, and i have a treadmill and a HRM which i have been using everyday, but it is not making much difference. About 2 weeks ago I was 61kg, now I am 64kg. Even a month ago I was about 59kg and i would love to get back to that because thats when i was most confident with myself. I am quite a picky eater and LOVE carbs which is proving to be difficult in my quest.

Any help would be great, i almost feel like smoking again to lose the weight but i know that is not an option i should take.

Re: Help needed since quitting smoking

Postby Linda Wooldridge » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 am

Hi there, smoking increases your metabolism, so now that you have stopped you are going to have to find other ways to do that. One of the key ways of increasing your metabolism is by building more lean muscle tissue. The best way to do this is to do some weight training along with your cardio. Women don't bulk up because they dont have enough testosterone to do so, so you don't have to worry about that. you can buy some hand weights and just start off doing high repetition with a lighter weight, which will not only increase the amount of muscle in your body, but will also have a cardio effect that helps you burn fat. If you have never done any weight training before then i suggest looking into buying some fitness dvds which you can just follow along with. I find these the most effective way to exercise cause you don't have to fork out a lot of money for a gym and you can exercise in the comfort of your own home. I have a huge collection and alternate them so i don't get bored. It's like having your own personal trainer, but not paying for it. I love doing the dvds so much that I even started my own website selling them!
So if you watch what you eat, along with incorporating some weight training into your routine, you should definitely start seeing results. Also, you might want to google interval training for your cardio as this is a much more efficient way of training that burns more fat. :D
Linda Wooldridge

Return to Introductions