It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:18 am

Free Newsletter

New guy to the forum and need your help

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New guy to the forum and need your help

Postby mants » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi everyone

I'm new here and thought i'd pop in and say hello.

Abit about myself:
Height: 6ft
Weight: 89kg or 14stone

Ive been a keen mountain biker but took a break from it for a few years, and now have bought a mountain bike and a road bike.

What im looking to know is what i need to do to get my weight down to let me have better fitness for road cycling, i feel at the moment its holding me back, theres abit of a belly.

Ive been out on the road bike about 7 times each ride around 50 -90kms, i think i want to get my weight down to around 75kg or 11.5stone (does this sound ok?)

Over the last few days ive been entering my food into an iphone app called my fitness pal and heres the results:

Wednesday: Goal: 1390 Food: 1737 Exercise: 443 Net 1294 Cals remaining: 96

Thursday: Goal: 1390 Food: 1479 Exercise: 1164 Net 315 Cals remaining: 1075

Friday: Goal: 1390 Food: 1502 Exercise: 97 Net 1405 Cals remaining: -15

Saturday: Goal: 1390 Food: 2402 Exercise: 2314 Net 88 Cals remaining: 1302

What do i need to change? Ive been walking cycling playing squash and swimming throughtout this week and thats the figures.

So what diet would suit me best, my bad things are, i cant eat any sort of fish, and im not into salads at all as they just dont keep the hunger away until dinner time.

If anyone could come up with a plan to help i would be very thankful, what to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper and snacks would be great.

Many thanks for any help

and ask any questions you like.

Cheers
mants

Re: New guy to the forum and need your help

Postby mants » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Anyone help??
mants

Postby krohde » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Hey mants,

Welcome! And good on you - you sound so keen to get back on your bike (excuse the pun)!

If you are looking to drop the weight, one of the best things you can do is to listen carefully to your body. I noticed you said that salads just don't take the hunger away. Obviously you know they don't work for you. So what does take the hunger away???

I have always found that the weight will drop when I stop over-analysing my diet and just give my body exactly what it needs, and if I listen carefully enough, it will tell me. When you feel hungry, eat what you really feel like eating until you are pleasantly satisfied, not full. And when you get to this point, just stop. There is no formal diet that is perfect for everyone.

I know this probably doesn't sound rigorous enough for you, but your body doesn't care about the numbers - it cares about the nutrients.

Keep up the great attitude and awesome work with the exercise!! You will know when you have reached your goal weight - you will feel fit, light & comfortable.

Hope this helps,

KR :D
"The health of the people is really the foundation upon which all their happiness & all their powers as a state depend." Benjamin Disraeli
krohde

Postby mants » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:21 am

Hi K thanks for the reply.

My body today said chicken fajita take away for lunch and some milk chocolate after dinner, calorie wise its been pretty poor today, just over 400 in the red.

For lunchs i find the only real thing to take hunger away is bread, for sandwichs i only ever eat wholemeal or multi grain bread.

I would really like to lose the belly to help with the cycling as i feel im judt carrying extra weight thats honding me from being able to keep the pace with others.

Hope that helps and look forward to comments.
mants

Postby krohde » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:13 pm

How's it going, mants??

So, if your body is saying chicken fajitas and chocolate, give it to it!! It knows what it needs and it will tell you. The trick is to give it what it wants in moderation. In other words, eat it but don't eat too much of it. AND, make sure you stop and listen to your body, not what your brain is necessarily telling you. Sometimes cravings can be emotional, not physical.

Excellent that you know what fills you up and are choosing wisely. I am working on this myself at the moment. I have my standard veggie omelette and piece of wholegrain toast for breakfast every morning, which keeps me going for a couple of hours. Then I decided to try quinoa porridge, which is meant to be really low GI, but it kept me going for all of an hour!!! So it's obviously not right for my body. Back to the omelette!

I have never found calorie counting to work. We are all so different - there is absolutely no way one number can be suitable for everyone! Ditching the counting takes away the stress and gives you back time, too!!

Go easy on yourself - these things take time. Are you weight training?? Muscle burns fat for longer than cardio, but I'm sure you know this already.

Let me know how you are going!

KR :D
"The health of the people is really the foundation upon which all their happiness & all their powers as a state depend." Benjamin Disraeli
krohde

Postby mants » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Hey,

Yeah im good, so far its been 3 weeks and ive been trying to cut out eating as much rubbish but sometimes a treat is good.

Im into cycling so ive been mainly exercising through that, no real weight training but i guess with using the bike the arms are getting worked at the same time but i guess not to the extent of actual weights.

I weighed myself last night and from being 89kgs, im down to 84kgs, but im not sure how accurate that is, is it just water after cycling being lost or what. hard to know.
mants

Postby krohde » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 pm

That's awesome, mate! Probably best to go by how your clothes are feeling for a more accurate guide. Yes, treats are great occasionally, but well done you for sticking with it! Try adding some weight training into your regime - it will definitely help to fast track the fat burning. Several PTs have told me that weight training should make up the bulk of your exercise plan for weight loss, and it does work. Keep in mind, though, that as soon as you start building muscle, the number on the scales could go up! That's why clothes or a tape measure are best! Well done! Keep up the good work!
krohde

Postby Grapefruit » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Hi Mants,

Way to go on all that cycling, that's awesome :D

Given your height and gender, I would be concerned that your calorie consumption is far too low, especially with all that cycling. How are you energy wise? I would think you would not have much energy? Your net calories would be more suitable for a female.

Here is a rough guide of what a typical day could be food wise.

Breakfast:
2 slices toast on burgen bread (wholemeal and seeds is great, high fibre, protein, good fats and lower on the carb side) with 1 whole egg and 1 egg white poached. 1 punnet strawberries

Snack
Protein bar (I like the proteinfx low carb range)

Lunch
1 chicken/ham/turkey (whichever you like, make sure it's lean) and salad sandwich with low fat cheese, avocado or low fat mayo, would be good on above suggested bread. 1 low fat and low sugar yoghurt.

Snack
Banana and raw nuts

Dinner
Lean grilled meat (approx 150-200grams) such as pork, chicken or beef with some steamed greens such as broccoli, zucchini, beans etc with a side of potato and pumpkin mash with a teaspoon of low fat butter.

Snack
Something light such as low call jelly and fruit or a low fat low sugar yoghurt.

With the above diet you're getting plenty of protein from the bread, eggs, meat and protein bar. Good fat sources from the bread, avocado, raw nuts and lean meat. Carbs from bread, potato/pumpkin and fruit. Fibre from fruit, veg and bread.

I do not think your current weight loss is from water. Given how low your net calories are, I would definitely think you're losing 'real weight', but I would really be careful because if you stick to those low cals your body may start to get worried and store fat and shed muscle.

The above diet would equate to roughly 1800-2000 calories.

Another great snack for you would be a post cycling protein shake. If you get the low carb ones (ie, not packed with sugar) and mix it with lite milk, low fat low sugar yoghurt and some fresh berries it will be not only great for your muscles after a workout but also will leave you feeling full and it's healthy.

I am a big believer in cross training not only so you don't get bored, but to also improve your overall performance in your sport which is cycling. Skipping is a wonderful exercise. It builds stamina and strength, works wonders on the midsection, burns a stack of calories and just 10mins a day makes a big difference. I also love crossfit, one of the best workouts you can get.

Are you drinking much water? Another vital key for health. 2 litres a day minimum, probably 3-4 for you with all that cycling...my legs are sore just thinking about it :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby Grapefruit » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Sorry, just had another look at your net cals and they would be far too low for ANYONE. You must be very very hungry??!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Return to Introductions