It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:58 pm

Free Newsletter

The 25yo Fat kid that Can!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

The 25yo Fat kid that Can!

Postby b3n » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:46 pm

Hello everyone

Ive been overweight since about the 4th or 5th grade. Now at 25 Im pushing 150kgs. Scary.
This past year Ive really felt the effect the extra weight has had on me. Ive had bad knees for a few years now. They make really loud clicking noises whenever I walk upstairs or bend. Now they are getting really sore. Most of my lower body joints ache now. Makes me feel like an old man.
A few months ago I found it really hard to sleep on my back... I start to snore while im still awake. Its awful! Im pretty sure I have or will start to develop sleep apnoea soon.
Ive also had high blood pressure for years! Theres a million other things aswell but you get the point.. Im introuble!

Obviously I need to do something about it. Im hoping I can learn alot on this forum that will help me shed 50-60kgs. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Ben.
b3n

Re: The 25yo Fat kid that Can!

Postby Metalcharm » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 am

Hiya Ben and welcome :D

Eat less and move more! Unless there are some underlying medical issues then that is all you have to do. :mrgreen:
Keep yourself motivated by visiting forums like these and arm yourself with knowledge about general good health and what is good for you and put it all into practice.
Don't think of it as a diet that you will finish one day .. think of it as the new you who will live like this healthy new person for the rest of your life.
You can still have the odd crappy meal but make it the exception rather than the rule.

Good luck!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Grapefruit » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi Ben, welcome and good on you for wanting to make a change, you have to start somewhere!

50-60kgs is a lot of weight to lose so try not to live in the future and imagine being thin and fit all of the time (though of course it can be a source of motivation) as it will become quite depressive. Just think of the here and now...TODAY. Think of what you can do to improve TODAY. Not tomorrow or a week from now or 6 months from now, but NOW.

The good thing is that you will probably experience a really big loss in the coming weeks which will help to keep you motivated. Another essential thing to keep the weight off and be happy what you're doing is to discover what it is that makes you want to eat. I have been a yo yo dieter my whole life with eating disorders for many years. I have invested a lot of time in therapy and I now have a completely different outlook. Just food for thought.

What are your eating and exercise plans? I am happy to help in anyway I can. Perhaps you could tell us what you do know about nutrition and exercise because you may know a lot, or may not know much at all. Seeing a Dr or personal trainer will probably be the best way to start out in terms of exercise (as well as nutrition) because they can come up with exercises that won't be too taxing on your joints to start with. Nice low impact stuff to get you started.

Enjoy this new path in life, you won't regret it!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby b3n » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks guys.

What are your eating and exercise plans? I am happy to help in anyway I can. Perhaps you could tell us what you do know about nutrition and exercise because you may know a lot, or may not know much at all. Seeing a Dr or personal trainer will probably be the best way to start out in terms of exercise (as well as nutrition) because they can come up with exercises that won't be too taxing on your joints to start with. Nice low impact stuff to get you started.

I dont really have an eating or exercise plan atm. I guess for exercise ill be walking everyday to start with. Then once Ive shed abit of weight Id like to try interval jogging to build up my fitness.. thats if my knees let me. Id like to build muscle too.. is that even possible when your trying to lose weight? Ive read that it isnt...

For my eating plan.. well Ive had success with low carb before but I hated it and didnt last more than 2 weeks. I just dont feel like low carb is something I can stick with for the rest of my life. Im happy to eat only whole grains instead of white breads,rice pasta etc. The low carb thing really confuses me. I find carbs fill me better and longer than protien does despite what everyone says.
Eat less and move more!

Isnt it funny.. we all know this yet we still keep asking people how they lost weight in hopes of some kind of secret shortcut!

Ben
b3n

Postby Grapefruit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Walking is a great way to start out. It is low impact, burns calories, increases fitness and cardiac health. Other suggestions are crunches and half push ups (with knees on the floor and ankles crossed) go to failure with them and try a few sets of each.

I believe you can build muscle not matter how big you are, it is just that you won't actually see the muscle until the excess weight comes off, but by the time it does you will probably have a 6 pack and big biceps under it all :D You could get some dumbells and do some bicep and tricep exercises. The higher the muscle mass the more calories you will burn each day even when you aren't exercising.

I agree with you about the low carb thing, it is just not sustainable for most people, myself included. I love my carbs, they fill me up, give my body the energy it needs to work out and of course they taste good! You just have to choose the right ones. Most fruit and some veg such as corn, potato, sweet potato are all sources of good carbs. If you like your bread then I can highly recommend the wholegrain and seeds burgen bread. The slices are smaller but they really fill you up. It is high in protein, higher in fat than most breads but is 'good fat' and lowest in carb of all breads I think, also very high in fibre which helps to make you feel full. Just make sure you don't overdo the carbs at night. It is fine to have a serve of potato or corn (or even both) with your dinner, or some pasta, but portion size is the key.

Another good habit to get into is drinking warm water with fresh lemon (I use 1/4 lemon per cup). I have a cup most morning and nights as it makes you feel more full so you don't have a massive meal, it really curbs sweet cravings (you wouldn't think so but it does work) as well as gives your liver a cleanse.

A fantastic book that i'm in love with is 'Sly moves' by Sylvester Stallone, I think most men (and women) would be inspired by this. It is a really down to earth approach to weight loss, fitness and health. In it he talks a lot about foods and you can learn a lot about nutrition, he also gives loads of exercises and talks about his tough training regimes (for inspiration) about his famous movies Rocky's and Rambo's. If you search for it on ebay you will prob only pay $10 or so all up if you purchase internationally.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Return to Introductions