It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Free Newsletter

New and apprehensive

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New and apprehensive

Postby Maddy's Mum » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi there. I am a newby to this website but, certainly not to dieting. However, this time is a little different as I have been told to loose weight by my doctor as I have high cholestorol. The strange thing is I have been on a low fat and high fibre diet for the past 2 weeks and lost practically nothing! I know exactly what and how much I should be eating and I have only "cheated" once but, the weight loss is very slow. I know I need to pick up my exercise a little but, I thought that registering on here may make be more accountable?

I was weighed at 72 kilos and I would like to get down to 62 kilos, although I am a Pomme so I tend to think more in pounds! I am currently 11 stone 1 pound and I would like to be around 10 stone. I am 5ft 6 inches or 168cms

I was wondering if anyone is over 40 and feel that their weight loss rate has slowed because of that?

Any tips?

SW: 71kg
W1: 68.7kg
W2: 69kg
W3: 67.9kg
W4: 67.6kg
W5: 66.6kg
MGW: 67kg ACHEIVED!! 6th October 2011 :)
W6: 66.0kg
W7: 65.1kg
W8: 65.1kg
W9: 65.4kg
W10: 64.7kg
GW:63kg

Maddy's Mum

Re: New and apprehensive

Postby Grapefruit » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi and welcome :)

Just a few things that come to mind

* You say low fat - roughly how many grams of fat a day? You may not be eating ENOUGH fat. Sounds crazy I know, but eating to few grams of fat can result in your body clinging onto the existing fat. Also, many low fat foods are packed with sugar (carbs) which can very much be the cause of no loss.

* How much protein are you eating? Not enough protein can also result in little to no loss

* Are you tracking calories? If not, a great site is www.calorieking.com.au it is free, easy to use and you'd be very surprised how the calories really sneak up.

* How many meals are you having a day and are you eating close to bed time?

* Are you drinking at least 2 litres of water a day?

Exercise definitely plays a big part and also allows you to eat more. Find something that you actually enjoy doing, that way exercise becomes fun and not a chore. I personally hate walking and bike riding (including stationary) so I never ever do those things. Things I love are horse riding, cross fit, weights, skipping, martial arts classes so I only ever do the things I want to. If I wake up one day and feel like doing nothing but skipping, then that's all I do. You have to make it enjoyable or it just won't work long term.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby Maddy's Mum » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi Grapefruit - thanks so much for the reply - I'm afraid that I don't know how much fat or protein but probably not enough of either. I tend to eat alot of carbs in the form of brown rice and pasta and jacket potatoes and bean - baked bean + three bean mix etc in vegetable and bean chillis and other what I perceive to be "low fat" sauces. I never use Oil (only the spray stuff), I don't eat bread in any form therefore no spread. I only have skimmed milk, V low fat yoghurts, cottage cheese. I don't really eat meat very much but, I do have tins of tuna (sometimes in oil, sometimes in water) quite often. I try not to eat after 7pm although I do often have my "treat" around 8pm - a fun size crunchie or a piece of malt loaf (no butter) and sometimes a mandarin or carrot. I do have cereal in the mornings - All Bran with sultanas - again with skimmed milk. I do eat several bananas per day + other fruits when I can and I have salad with raw spinach and no dressing with most meals.

I don't mind the exercise at all - I used to walk the dog (fast wlking) for an hour every morning but, stopped during the winter months - now that Spring is on it's way I shall start again + I do at least 1 zumba class per week.

Any further pointers now that you know my (bad?) habits would be greatfully received.

Thanks again :D

Maddy's Mum

Postby Grapefruit » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:50 pm

It sounds like your diet is just not balanced. Don't get me wrong, you're eating good foods, but mostly carbs and perhaps not much protein or fat. Here is roughly a typical day for me which would come to 40 grams fat, 90 grams protein and 130 grams carbs (roughly but each day will of course vary).

Breakfast:
1 slice burgen bread wholemeal and seeds (one of the lowest carb breads, good fats, protein and fibre) toasted with 1 teaspoon of kraft low fat crunchy peanut butter. In this meal I am getting a bit of everything. Protein from peanut butter and the bread, fat from both sources (pretty good fats), fibre and carbs from bread.
1 250g punnet of fresh strawberries. Low cal, very high in fibre, not too bad on the carbs.

Snack
Slim secrets bar (binge buster or mintabolisim) where I again get low carbs (about 10g), protein and fat.

Lunch
I usually buy my lunch so might get sushi (higher in carbs, low in protein so might add a protein source such as a mini protein bar) a salad with chicken or ham, a chicken and salad wrap, ham and salad sandwich on wholemeal bread.

Snack
Light and tasty on the go cheese and crackers and a mandarin. This can also vary to whatever I feel like such as a banana and some raw nuts or a protein bar or other fruit.

Dinner
I'm a fan of meat and 3 veg! Some examples are roast chicken breast with 1 small baked potato, baked carrot, baked pumpkin. Or Spaghetti bol with only half the pasta serve (say 50gr raw weight), the leanest mince possible bulked up with some cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini. Or grilled pork with mashed potato (portion size is everything!) steamed choko and broccoli.

I try not to eat after dinner but if I am genuinely hungry I will have a piece of fruit, drink lots of water. I also drink a cup of warm water with a wedge of lemon morning and night, helps cure cravings, makes you feel full and gives your body a good cleanse.

You want to try to be including a bit of protein with each meal. Be careful with bananas, I wouldn't have more than 1 a day as they are very high in carbs. It is good carbs no doubt about it, but 3 small bananas would equate to 1/2 my daily carbs.

Calorie king also has meal plans so that may help too. Look at the carbs and also the sugar content of low fat yoghurts (and most yoghurts in general) as it is huge.

So yep, I reckon ease up on the carbs, carbs are high in many foods, not just bread, pasta and rice.
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby janice72 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:20 am

Hi there, I am new too, just registered. I am 1.7m and 81 kg and about to turn 40. I am keen for a weight loss of 10 kg and then I would be very happy to see what that looked like. My exercise and alcohol consumption are pretty poor. I am too looking for some accountability. How is today going for you?

SW: 81
GW: 67
MG: 75
HT: 170
BF: 43.4%
janice72

Postby Maddy's Mum » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 am

Wow Grapefruit! Thank you sooo, much - I will certainly try to vary my diet a little more and cut out some of the carbs. My current diet is based around a). what I like to eat - I am a very fussy eater and b) having been told to lower my cholestorol I am trying very hard to watch the saturated fat intake but, looking at what you are eating most of it is mono saturated?

I will definately try the hot water with lemon - thanks for that tip and I will try to look at some new fruits to try. I love apples and pears but, unfortunately, I can't eat them raw as I seem to be alergic to something in them? I am also mildly allergic to nuts so peanut butter is a big no for me but, I will look for an alternative for the protein side of things, any suggestions gratefully received and again - thanks for taking the time to let me know where I'm probably wavering!

Maddy's Mum

Postby Maddy's Mum » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 am

By the way - Janice 72 - Good luck to you too - let's keep each other on track!?!

Maddy's Mum

Postby Grapefruit » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:40 pm

No worries at all :) Just check out the fat in the protein bars (and the carbs as some are also energy bars = carbs but there are some low carb ones) as usually half of it is saturated so you may not be able to have it? It must be hard being a fussy eater, I eat pretty much anything and everything lol. See how you go with some changes over a week and i''m sure you'll see a difference on the scales.
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby Maddy's Mum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:18 pm

There is certainly some "out there" spam on here!

Maddy's Mum

Postby Grapefruit » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Sure is MM, it's a pain in the ass...how they think they could get business from that jiberish is beyond me :roll:

Anyway, how have you been going this week?
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby Maddy's Mum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks for asking - all seems to be going OK - I have got into the bad habit of weighing myself almost daily - since last week's debarcle and I am definately on track for a loss tomorrow.

I am finding the counting calories thing fine and I enjoy the walking etc - I have to admit, I haven't tried the routine which you suggested - I will give it a go but, I think that I just don't enjoy that kind of exercise. Went to Zumba again yesterday and did a double walk on Monday (morning and evening) and will probably do the same today if it ever stops raining!

The scales will tell their own tale tomorrow! Till then......... :wink:

Maddy's Mum

Postby Grapefruit » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Excellent, I look forward to hearing your weigh in :D

Honestly, if the exercises I put up are not at all appealing, then just don't do them, you have to enjoy what you do. Maybe just do it once and see how you feel afterwards because high intensity always gives me a massive rush of endorphins! Play around and try a bit of this and a bit of that and find what works for you :)
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby fitbody52 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Hello and Welcome.....I'm a newbie myself. I'm a 52 year old male, and I tell ya the metabolism thing is a pain isn't it???? But keep in mind, as you probably already know, you're metabolism starts slowing down as you get older. I notice that on several occasions after I've worked out, and not seeing much results. Keep in mind though, you need to burn MORE calories, than what you're taking in. What I do now is a circuit training style workout, with low weights and high reps, and very little to no rest in-between sets. Talk about getting your heart rate up : ) plus you're burning calories galore and melting that fat off too at the same time. Keep that diet in check, I'm a diabetic, so I've learned to cut sugar out almost completely, and watch those carbs, because excess carbs can be converted or stored as fat or excess calories. Eat clean, when you can i.e. grilled chicken, salmon, tuna ect....I did some bodybuilding shows in my late teens and early twenties, I ate this for three months, now I'm not saying you should do this, unless you want too : ) but I consumed 3 cans of tuna fish (nothing in it) I did have a few saltine crackers, a large fresh green salad, oil and vinegar dressing, and Iced Tea with artificial sweetner.....I tell ya back in the day, the things a bodybuilder will eat.....lol, but I dropped close to 40 lbs, and was very defined AND muscular....I said all this, just let you know, not to give up, If you want it bad enough, you'll achieve anything you want.....Take CARE : ) Ronald.
fitbody52

Return to Introductions