It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Another Newbie

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Another Newbie

Postby matadanixa » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:57 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Lou and I am a 27 yo mum of 5 (yes you read correctly) kids. Their ages range from 1yo up to 10 yo. I was once one of those superfit ppl but that was bc (before children) and when they were born close together I never lost the weight from the previous pregnancy and according to doctors I am obese at a weight of 95kg. I am sick of being this big and want to lose the extra weight but have no idea of how as money is tight and I can't afford a gym or fancy eating plans. I want to be healthy again and am hoping with the help from this forum I will acheive this.

Postby Dolly » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:38 pm

We're here for you Lou, Welcome to the Weightloss Forum!
Perhaps one of the diets on this page will help you stay on plan ... =1325#1325 I'm doing the Easy Slim Diet at the moment (well lets just say I'm trying my hardest to stay on that plan)
To find that thread (page) again, when your at the weightloss forum index scroll down till you see the heading Food & Nutrition then click on the heading General Discussion, then click on Different Diets.

Postby emma21 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:03 pm

Hi Lou... I'm kinda in the same boat as you with regards to not being able to afford fancy eating plans or gym memberships...

I found that all I have had to do is reduce my meal sizes and not eat all the crap I have become used to eating on a regular basis. I have increased the amount of fresh fruit and vegetables I eat and I have switched my milk, cheese, yoghurt, margarine, sour cream, cream and all that kinda stuff to a low fat or no fat variety. Drinking at least 1.5L to 2L of water a day has helped heaps too.

As for exercise, I have got hold of a couple of DVDs - Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds (1 mile, 2 mile and 3 mile). The 1 mile dvd goes for 20 mins, 2 mile for 30 mins, and the 3 mile for about 50 mins. I use those as well as an exercise bike...

And when I actually commit to eating healthily and exercising (I have let it slip a bit in the last couple of weeks) I definately see results...

Emma :)

Postby Serena » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:12 pm

Welcome Lou. Weight loss is hard and everyone here is very supportive and we understand completely because we're all going through the same thing. I'm also 27 but I have no kids, 5 kids must be super tough - how do you ever find the time to take care of yourself? I'm doing weight watchers - I just rejoined last week and it does work as I've been on it before and it costs $16.95 a week and a $33 joining fee although there's a promotion on at the moment and if you have a coupon from That's Life or New Idea (?) they wave the joining fee. But if you can't afford to join a formal program the best way I know is to cut back on refined and processed foods like breads (especially white bread), sugars, chocolate, chips, fried foods, take aways etc. and fill your diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables - which will be great for your whole family too. There are a lot of really good healthy cookbooks around that make eating healthy fun and interesting. Maybe you can check out your local library. And they say one of the best exercises around for weight loss is walking which is free and so easy, and you can add hills and increase the pace etc. to make it more of a challenge. Hope this helps.

Hi Lou

Postby Ed » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:19 pm

Hi Lou, welcome on board!!!

Our friends forgot to mention the wonderful resources available to you on Every month you'll find new articles on nutrition, exercise and leading a healthier lifestyle. You'll also find 4 new recipes each month and success stories to help motivate you. In the workouts section, you'll find exercises that you can do at home with only a set of light dumbells or a FitBall.

You can also sign up for the free monthly newsletter that provides extra weight loss tips, inspirational quotes and a list of new things that have recently been added to the site.

As I'm sure you've noticed, the members of the weightloss forum are a great support and will help you to keep your spirits up while you're achieving your weight loss goals, but there is so much more help available to you on the website which can be accessed from the links in the top right hand corner of all weightloss forum pages.

Again, welcome on board and good luck with your weight loss goals.

Postby Fairie » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi Lou,

Welcome to the forum, we are all on a weightloss journey and give each other heaps of support

I joined Sure Slim because I was really fed up with being so overweight and I'm loving it. It is working so well for me and I am so positive this time I will loose the weight.

Wow 5 kids that's amazing, keep us posted on how you are doing. :D

Postby Dolly » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:31 pm

Thanks Ed, how silly that we forgot to mention our very own home page teehee

Postby matadanixa » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:32 pm

I just figured out this ticker thingi so heres mine

Postby Maraver » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:35 pm

Good on yer, I forgot to welcome you earlier
glad you found us
I am sure you will get along really well on here
we are a mad but happy bunch

Postby sammyjo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi all I am a newbie from Tassie here...Married , 2 daughters 2 step sons...I am in my final year of nursing and I also work at a nursing home.
Starting weight 83 kilos ,as of today ( weighed at work) ..
Will let you all know next week how I am going ...A little bit at a time to keep it off I think
Talk soon

Postby Lolly » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 am

welcome :D

I have found this site invaluabel in helping keep me inspired!!

I use for keeping track of what I eat so I don't go overboard (which is very easy for me) and at the moment I am just walking - will be joining the gym soon.

A few years back, I did WW and lost heaps of weight doing that but am too poor at the moment (and their meetings are now on when I am at work :evil: ) to do that so I am doing this myself - with help from my family

Get the kids involved - my 9 1/2 (don't forget the half lol) is a great help, he even checks out the calorie content of foods for me :shock: and has been going on walks with me - sure he walks slowly but we are walking - and he goes to bed earlier too :D

Drink lots of water and try to keep moving through the day - the kids will appreciate your efforts if you involve them too :D
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

Postby KimE » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:00 am

Hello Sammyjo and welcome to the forum.

Good on you for making the decision for a healthier lifestyle. Feel free to jump wherever you are comfortable and check out the home page for tools and tips to help you should you need them.

I wish you all the best on your weightloss journey.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:16 am

Welcome to the forum Sammyjo!! I wish you all the best with your weight loss journey....feel free to join in any of the challenges on offer here to help keep you motivated!!

Postby laura » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:33 am

Welcome to Lou and Sammyjo :P and gook luck with the weightloss.

Sammyjo, I'm also in my final year of nursing and I'm starting today an accelarated course that will qualify me as an EEN by mid-February so I'll be able to work as a nurse before I finish Uni. So, holiday is over for me :( .

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:28 am

Image hi sammyjo welcome and best wishes for your weightloss journey

Return to Introductions