It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:46 am

Free Newsletter

I need accountability

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

I need accountability

Postby Skylla » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:53 am

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd join for support and accountability for my weight loss journey. I'm 41, female, live in Qld and work a lot away from home so I'm always on the road and it's too easy to pull into a drive through to get food when I've got hundreds of kms to cover. I've got 10-15 kgs to lose and would love to have it gone by summer. Over the last couple of years I've also noticed the weight sitting around my waist and having never had kids I can't even blame it on that.

I've really enjoyed reading your posts. Please excuse any blunders I make as this is the first forum I've ever joined.

Cheers,
Skylla.

SW: 81kgs
GW: 79kgs
SW: 81 kgs
W1: 80.2 kgs
W2: 79.7 kgs
W3: 79.2 kgs
mini GW1: 75 kgs
mini GW2: 71 kgs
GW: 69 kgs

Skylla

Re: I need accountability

Postby CronicBadger » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Skylla

You'll find that the forum can be very useful to help maintain focus on your goals. As well as general discussion you can take advantage of the Challenges and Personal Progress sections. Writing stuff down is like a contract with yourself (and us!) and may help fortify your discipline.

If you're on the road eating unplanned meals then you'll need to read up on how to make healthy food choices - there should be a few articles that touch on that in the main website attached to this forum. If you don't get time for much exercise then you'll have to concentrate on restricting food energy.

Participate, learn, focus, enjoy.
CronicBadger

Postby Skylla » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Thanks for the advice Badger, very much appreciated and may already be working. I woke up this morning to the sound of rain but instead of rolling over and staying under the covers I got up and went for a 30 min walk. I also didn't indulge in my regular glass of wine (or two) with dinner last night. I hope it's the little things that count. :)

Skylla

Postby Skylla » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Well that's blunder number one over and done with...please note my goal weight should read 69kgs not 79kgs. I am trying to be a little bit ambitious. :oops:

Skylla

Postby Grapefruit » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Well done Skylla, it certainly is the little things that count and as you start to see results and feel better, the little things will turn into big things and the results will increase, well done!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby Maddy's Mum » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Skylla

I too have just started on my weigh loss journey and I am also 41 so I know exactly where you are coming from in particular the weight sitting around the tummy area!

It's sounds like you have all of the motivation you need and joining something like this makes us accountable even if it's just to ourselves. I had a great piece of advice from Grapefruit and that was to join Calorie King which I have just done and that makes recording exactly what is going in your mouth and what it contains - it's fantastic (and free!).

Good luck and let's spur each other on!

This is also the first forum I have joined so I am trying to figure the "ticker" things etc :lol:
SW: 71kg
W1: 68.7kg
W2: 69kg
W3: 67.9kg
W4: 67.6kg
W5: 66.6kg
MGW: 67kg ACHEIVED!! 6th October 2011 :)
W6: 66.0kg
W7: 65.1kg
W8: 65.1kg
W9: 65.4kg
W10: 64.7kg
GW:63kg

Maddy's Mum

Postby Skylla » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks Grapefruit, gosh you're doing well, good on you.

And Maddy's mum, thanks so much for that, I'll go and have a look at Calorie king now. I love your celery ticker by the way. :D

Skylla

Postby krohde » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey Skylla,

Welcome to the forum! Good on you for making this decision and setting yourself a higher standard in regards to getting into shape!

Being on the road a lot would be a challenge, so it pays to plan, plan, plan!! Pack your healthy snacks, and have a repertoire of healthy foods that you can also buy conveniently. But you already know this!

As for accountability, this is key!! Do you have a friend who you can do this with? If not, see if someone on here would be happy to be your accountability buddy. Best to call them or meet them in person every week, give them a copy of your goals and your action plan, and contact them every week. They can then ask you how you are going and whether you have done what you said you were going to do! I ahve an accountability buddy and just the thought of having to answer to her every week is enough to make me think twice about eating that chocolate bar!!

Keep us posted on how you are getting along. :D
"The health of the people is really the foundation upon which all their happiness & all their powers as a state depend." Benjamin Disraeli
krohde

Postby Skylla » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi Krohde,

Thanks for the advice. My travel schedule is huge so I am generally not in the same place week to week to be able to meet up with anyone. I think this site might be enough for me for now though...I feel guilty just thinking about a snickers bar now!!!

Unfortunately everyone in my family is overweight and as I was the youngest (and the tallest) I was always the skinny one...they still think I'm the skinny one even when I tell them that statistically I now fall into the overweight category. I have been teetering around the 80kg mark for 5 years now and I'm sick of it. I see "Biggest loser" contestents losing the weight I need to lose in just 3 to 4 weeks and I think Geez, it's really not that much, why am I putting up with it? I'm uncomfortable, unenergetic, uneasy around men and unhappy with my reflection. Wow...this forum thing is like a confessional :shock:

I know the "Biggest loser" weight losses are exceptional and I certainly don't need to lose weight that quickly, it's just a wake up call for me. If they can do it well so can bloody well I.

Phew...see, I feel lighter already. :lol:

Skylla

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Phew...see, I feel lighter already.

See . .it's working already ;)

Good luck with it all! Arm yourself with knowledge about how crappy those drive through meals are and when you know just how bad they are you really won't want to eat them! (start by watching Supersize Me and you'll never eat Mcdonalds again!!) lol
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Skylla » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 pm

So far, so good.

I've joined calorie king and it's a great site to see just how many calories that quick little snack is. Certainly makes you think twice about eating it. I've found I'm falling below my recommended calorie intake everyday, especially when I put my exercise in. I'm not eating extra to make up for those calories as they recommend as I'm just not hungry.

I have a little protein with every meal, drink plenty of water and have fruit and yoghurt as snacks. Hope this lasts as I'm feeling pretty good. Will weigh in on Monday, fingers crossed.

Skylla

Postby Maddy's Mum » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:48 am

Well done SKylla! Isn't Calorie King fantastic? - I am also finding it hard to reach my given number of calories and the exercise accountability is the key I reckon - when I am rolling over after the alarm goes off - I think about logging in and just hop out of bed and take the dog out for 45 minutes. I am even enjoying it! I'm not sure how long that will last though come the hot summers that we have over here in the West!

Anyway - keep it up and lets spur each other on..... :D
SW: 71kg
W1: 68.7kg
W2: 69kg
W3: 67.9kg
W4: 67.6kg
W5: 66.6kg
MGW: 67kg ACHEIVED!! 6th October 2011 :)
W6: 66.0kg
W7: 65.1kg
W8: 65.1kg
W9: 65.4kg
W10: 64.7kg
GW:63kg

Maddy's Mum

Postby Grapefruit » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Well done girls, you're doing great :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbbRGId/]
[/url]
Grapefruit

Postby Skylla » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks Maddy's Mum and well done to you too. 45 mins that's a great effort in the morning cold....I bet the dog loves it too.

And thanks Grapefruit...you are doing so well.

I'm buying scales on Monday as I don't have any with me...I hope I haven't underestimated my weight...It would be scary to see it going the wrong way. I've been good though, Friday night and no wine. Actually, no slip ups at all yet...I usually don't last 5 days when I start a diet and it's been nearly 7. :)

Skylla

Postby Skylla » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:27 am

Just weighed in.....hmm that's not too bad at all. :D