It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:57 am

Free Newsletter

Please Help - No Metabolism and Duromine

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Please Help - No Metabolism and Duromine

Postby amberawesome » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 6 of Duromine. I'm 26, 171cm and 74kg. I know there's not need for me to be on Duromine, however I had a quack doctor who told me I am borderline obese!!! With barely any self confidence left and days of research, I decided to fill out the prescription I was given for Duromine 30mg.

1.5 weeks before I started Duromine, I was going to the gym at 5am every week morning and Saturday and doing my workout (interval training from a PT) for an hour before work. Though, before 6 days ago, I wasn't eating 'properly'.

Since starting Duromine, I have been eating exceptionally well, grains for brekky with 2 teaspoons of Benefiber, celery sticks for morning tea or a piece of fruit, lunch I have a piece of fish (usually) or other meat with some veges and rice or a sandwich on multigrain, and for dinner typical meat and veg. And I drink at least 2L of water a day with 3 cups of green tea during work time. All very low in fat and I believe I'm eating my carbs at the right times of the day.

I still do my usual workout every morning and if I don't have to stay back at my busy job, I will go at night for a 30 min cardio session and a nice sauna for 10 mins.

I know I am on the right track here, but it is day 6 and I can count on 1 hand, how many times I have been for number twos (sorry TMI).

What in the world am I doing wrong here? Why isn't my metabolism kicking in at all??

I have literally today just finished a course of antibiotics for a wisdom tooth infection. Could this be contributing?

Any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated :)
amberawesome

Re: Please Help - No Metabolism and Duromine

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:47 am

Hi Amberawesome

If you know you are eating right and exercising then continue doing so. Don't expect instant weight-loss - that's the doom of many who start out with high hopes and enthusiasm, only to give up a week or so later disillusioned and dejected.

The human body evolved with a number of key survival traits, one of the major ones is its ability to store fat - very important for survival back when we were hunter-gatherers. We don't really need that in the modern era, but our body doesn't know that so tried very hard to not lose its potentially life-saving fat reserves.

It's quite normal to put on a bit of weight initially because of water retention (due to higher fibre intake) and building of extra muscle due to exercise; but eventually, like an elastic band, the body has to let something go, and much of that will be fat.

Another thing to keep in mind is that for a few weeks after fat cells lose the fat content they try to maintain their mass by drawing in water from other parts of the body, but eventually they lose that and shrink. It also takes a few weeks for fat loss to kick in.

So don't worry, give it a few more weeks and your body should go into a gradual weight-loss phase. Other people here have experienced the same thing and persevered, so its not unusual.
CronicBadger

Postby amberawesome » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks CronicBadger!

You were right. But also, I found out that the codeine in the painkillers I was prescribed for my wisdom toothache were also doing slight damage to my insides. Now I'm clear of codeine, the weight has been falling off!

I'm still on Duromine, however the mentality of healthy eating (5 small meals a day) and wanting to exercise is all me and not the Duromine!

I'm at the gym 6 days a week and have since had a personal trainer write a proper training program for me to tone up. ALL of my size 12 clothes are falling off me and I'm just about a size 10!

I can't believe I don't have a gut anymore!!

Another 5kgs to go and I couldn't be happier :D
amberawesome

Postby kezzab » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Hello there, I would just like to ask you if you had headaches and were moody when you first started the Duromine. I have a script many years ago and I was suffering from headaches and was getting angry over the littlest things. I stopped taking them and now am back to square 1 !! I visited my local GP recently and guess what he prescribed for me. I am willing to give them a go initially, but was wondering how long you were taking them for and if there was any side effects, did they stop after your body became used to the medication. Many thanks for your help. And congratulations on your success. :D
kezzab

Postby amberawesome » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks kezzab!

Although I had a little hitch when I initially started (my body was basically too clogged with codeine from a wisdom tooth infection a few weeks before), I was very fortunate to not have any of the 'unpleasant' side effects such as headaches, mood swings or nausea. I did however, and still do have an immense amount of energy. I thank my change in lifestyle for that.

Everyone will have different reactions to it of course, however I believe that because I went into this with an extremely positive mindset, had my 'diet' (I hate that word, but by it I mean, healthy eating) all sorted out through a personal trainer at my gym and my fun 6 day-a-week gym workout planned, I was unbelievably ready for this new lifestyle. Only then did I fill my script and began my journey.

There are A LOT of people's stories that I have read on this site in particular that aren't doing this properly. They're taking Duromine, however they're not really making an effort to change their eating habits or barely do any exercise - I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but there's only so many times you can clean a house before it stops being 'exercise'! It's NOT a miracle weightloss pill, it's an aide to get you started.

But kezzab, all it comes down to is you being optimistic to begin with and don't stop if you don't see results within the first week like most people do. You WILL get results, as long as you're dedicated!

Good luck and please keep us all updated!!! :D
amberawesome

Return to Introductions