It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Hi everyone, newbie here in need of help.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi everyone, newbie here in need of help.

Postby Tenrai » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Dee, I'm 22. I'm once again on a weight loss mission.
My goal is 79kg (80kg would be good enough but I love seeing 70-something on the scales! :lol: ) I know around 80kg is healthy for me, due to my tall height and large frame, I look and feel healthy at that weight.

Last year I lost 31kg in about 3 months through obsessive exercising and dieting (ate nothing but a small plate of chicken and broccoli twice a day and sat on an exercise bike 3 hours a day).
I soon realised that was very unhealthy when I gained back 17kg over the following 9 months without eating that much junk food. :(
So I'm trying to lose it again, but I'm doing it slowly and healthily this time. For the past 6 weeks I've been on a diet of around 1200 calories a day and burning about 600 of those calories off in exercise.
I've lost 3kg so far. But according to my calculations, I should be losing at least 1kg each week, not 500g? Am I doing something wrong? I'm really worried that I did major damage to my metabolism with my silly anorexic phase last year, is that possible?
I also have diabetes, and my sugar levels have been higher than they should be (around 9 to 11). Are my sugar levels making me burn less fat? I have started a low-carb diet this week and my sugar levels are coming down a bit, I'm hoping this will make a difference.
Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. :D

Looking forward to get to know you all here and share our experiences. :D

Re: Hi everyone, newbie here in need of help.

Postby CronicBadger » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 am

Hi Dee

The low rate of weight loss is something that everyone seems to experience from time to time. It's partly to do with the way we consider "weight loss" to be analogous to "fat loss", although the two concepts are only partly related.

For example, during a weight-loss regime much of the weight lost will be water, food bulk and muscle. The body tries quite hard to hold on to its fat stores. Also, if you have been exercising and eating more fibre then you might be increasing muscle bulk and water retention, which is masking your fat loss.

Ensure that you eat less than you need to maintain your weight: over time your fat stores will be used to provide your body with energy. I'd hazard a guess that within another month or two you'll begin to see your weight-loss accelerate to a faster rate.

Expecting amazing results, especially after a bout of crash dieting followed by a weight "bounce-back", is unrealistic. It takes time, but is doable. Just don't give up.

Postby davinabenet01 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 pm

homemade smoothies made with milk, soy milk or yogurt and fruit or fruit juice
low fat cheese and crackers
carbohydrate based energy bars and granola bars
yogurt and fruit
Last edited by Jisgone on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam sig

Postby ryanphillips » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:04 am

Hey Dee

If you eat the right food you can eat as much of it as you want. And you dont need to count calories. I follow 5 rules..

Following 5 simple rules is all it took for me to lose over 17Lb in 30 days even though I put on a total of 17 ¼ Lb with having a cheat day once per week.

Don’t Eat White Carbs
This includes bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, chips, cereals etc. Anything white with carbs avoid like the plague. Don’t eat the food just described unless you want to get fatter.

Don’t Drink Calories
The only drink I have is water, I aim for 2 – 3 litres a day. Sometimes ill have a can of diet coke as it is only 330ml, anything over 450ml of diet coke stimulates weight gain due to the aspartame level. No milk, fruit juice, beer, soft drinks or fizzy drinks allowed. I don’t drink wine but you are allowed up to 2 glasses of red wine a night but no more unless its a cheat day.

Don’t Eat Fruit
The quick reason why is because sugar and fructose = fat storage. Exceptions are tomatoes, have as much tomatoes as you like. And avocados if eaten in moderation.

Include 3 Food Groups With Each Meal
There are 3 food groups you have to eat with each meal. Protein, Legumes and Vegetables. Its important to eat legumes for caloric load as you wont be getting calories from carbs.

Have A Cheat Day Once A Week
This is for 2 reasons: 1. To keep your metabolic rate from slowing due to extended caloric restriction. 2. To help make the diet is sustainable. Remember you can have your cake and eat it. Just get the timing right

That’s all the bare basics of how I lost 17Lb in 30 days and continue to lose body fat every day.

Hope this story inspires you and helps
Last edited by CronicBadger on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed sig containing commercial link.

Return to Introductions