It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:57 am

Free Newsletter

Pear Shaped from the Northern Territory

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Pear Shaped from the Northern Territory

Postby PearShaped » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi Everyone! This reminds me of what they say sometimes on radio chat shows... "Hi! Long time listener, first time caller!". Obviously I'm new to this wonderful forum but I've been reading now for about a month and just couldn't resist joining in with all of you beautiful people!! :D

I'm 150cm tall and weight 95kg. I have been overweight (technically obese) for a very very long time (since I was a child) and it's interesting how an issue with yourself can become tabboo in your own life. I suppose I reached a point where the issue of my weight just wasn't something I thought about and the possibility of losing weight was inconceivable! :shock: Thoughts like "I'll never be able to fit into anything in that shop!" and "I'll always be a fat person" were so normal to a point that they became an subconcious response.

I've just started the Ultra Lite program (in my 4th day) and am finding it so far so good. I began a Low GI eating plan about a month ago and stuck to that for 3 weeks before I started with Ultra Lite. I managed to lose 3kg in three weeks on the low GI diet coupled with walking every day for 30-45min. I've now lost another 2kg in three days with Ultra Lite and am really happy about that... and who wouldn't be?! :)

When I started the Low GI thing it was like there was a switch flicked in my head and something good kicked in and all the motivating factors for me wanting to lose weight came together all at once. My top 3 reasons are:

1. I'm young (26) but getting older a lot faster than I should be due to my weight and need to take better care of myself (high blood pressure and cholesterol)

2. I want to have children!! :D

and finally the catalyst...

3. I'm getting married in 2008 but my wedding dress designer (yes I have my own designer!) needs to take my first set of measurements next March at the very latest :!: :!: :shock:

Sooooo... my goal is to lose at least 30kg by March 2007 and then another 10kg by June 2007. I know this sounds like a lot in a very short period of time and trust me when I say I initially did not want to go on a "diet" of sorts, I just wanted to eat healthier and exercise regularly and take things slowly. But when I found out that the first measurements for my dress were to be taken in March I freaked!! No way was I going to be able to do that all by myself!!

So here I am... hopefully to turn into the incredible shrinking woman! :wink: After all rambling the only thing I have to add is...

Hello everyone! I hope I can help you guys as much as you've already helped me!! :D

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:20 pm

hi there pearshaped :)

welcome to the group officially :) im sure you will find the members very inspiring and motivating and encouraging as well. its nice to have you board. feel free to join in where and when you feel comfortable and thanks for sharing your story with us.

take your weightloss day by day and dont be disheartened if you dont lose the 30 kgs by march! some lose weight at a faster rate than others. and 500g -1kg is considered average weightloss for women a week.

best wishes and looking forward to seeing your progress :)

Postby Hayley » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:35 pm

Hi Pearshape, great to have you with us on this very exciting journey! Congratulations on your weight loss so far and also on your engagement. Getting married is so exciting! I used to work in a bridal boutique selling wedding gowns while I studied primary teaching, and it was lovely to be able to assist people with something so special.

I'm doing the Tony Ferguson plan, which I believe is quite similar to Ultralite and I've lost quite a bit already.

I lived in Kununurra for 3 and half years and visited the Northern Territory once, which was great. Do you enjoy living there? I miss the Kununurra climate now that I've been living in Perth for the last 11 months! Best wishes and keep us updated.

Postby Ally » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:04 pm

Welcome to the forum pearshaped!! Congratulations on your upcoming your own designer!! That is amazing!! 30kgs in 18 weeks is very adventurous but it is not to say it can't be done, however although you have the long term goal in mind, just take things one day at a time!!! My words are not meant to dishearten you, but only to encourage you to know that any amount of weight you shed will be beneficial to your health!! I wish you all the best and look forward to sharing your journey with you!! Jump in on any of the challenges you feel comfortable with to help keep up your motivation high.

Postby MissE » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:53 pm

Hello and good luck!!
30kg by March is a big goal, but not impossible, I lost 26kg in 19 weeks a few years back, on Weight Watchers! Though my own stupid fault I piled it back on again though, D'oh!!
Look forward to seeing you around!
Life is too important to be taken seriously!

Postby KimE » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:09 pm

Hello Pearshaped and welcome to the forum.

Well done on your weightloss to date and I totally understand about the 'switch' being flicked on, I have said a similar thing myself.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding (there are a few brides to be on here) and it certainly must be a good motivator.

There are plenty of challenges to join in with as well as food and exercise diaries if you feel they would help and if you are comfortable.

I wish you every success on your weight loss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby hushpuppy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:27 pm

HI pearshaped and Welcome to the forums . Feel free to join in on and of the boards
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby Dolly » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:29 am

Hi PearShaped, welcome to the forum.
My 26 year old daughter is getting married in January 2007, and time is close running out for my weight to come off :shock:
I'm sure you'll look stunning in 2008 for your own wedding.

Postby slimmindown » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:26 pm

hey ya Pearshaped, love your forum name :lol:

Well it certainly sounds like you are the right frame of mind, of which without it weightloss is not easy.

Good luck with your goals 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!

Postby Sassygirl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Hay pearshaped ... welcome aboard. The ladies here are full of information and wisdom as well as being great listeners. You will love it here and dare I say it - become addicted like me! My husband is constantly blaming me for using up all the broadband!!! I don't care - I love this site .... :lol:
2008 - my year to be great!!

Postby Neney » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:09 pm

Hey hun, fairly new myself. Just wanted to wish you all the best!
Mini Goal - Reach Double Digits!! 99kgs

Postby PearShaped » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:39 am

Hi Guys! Thanks to all for the warm welcomes! I can definitely see how this forum can be addictive. :D

Anyway, after a week on the Ultra Lite program I've lost 3kg and 11.1cm so my ticker doesn't change but my pants sure are getting loose! :wink:
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it.

Postby ossabelli » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:43 am

Welcome PearShaped. First off, congrats on the wedding, I'm sure you will just look lovely!

Second, good luck on your weight loss, you'll find lots of support here. Sounds like you're off to a great start on the Ultra Lite program.

Keep going!!

"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep."

Postby kimbo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:17 am

Hi there pearshape
welcome to the forum im new myself actually one day lol but wow the inspiration and help ive received in one day i feel its enuff to keep me losing weight for years lol anyhow i feel if u put ur heart and mind to it u could do what u want to acheive and im sure u will look just stunning in ur wedding dress oh and congrats on getting married one thing ive learnt but just reading things on this site and others is dont set urself at losing 30 kilos straight off , set it at like 10 kilos aim to lose that much then hey before u know it its gone then u can start ont he next 10 me myself i know i have to lose like over 60kilos looking at it i think omg its gunna take like years but ive set my self goals at each 20 kilos at it seems easier to lose 20 then 60 lol but hey once im happy and completed that 20 ill start again on the next 20 its more of a wanna get to it program makes me feel better inside knowing ive only gotta lose 20 kilos for now instead of that lump 60 anyhow good luck and i hope we both come out winners and grinners

Postby PearShaped » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:27 am

Hi Kimbo! :) I know what you mean about the mini goals. My two big goals are to lose 30kg by March 2007, and then another 10kg by June. However I've set myself mini goals until then, for example I want to lose 10kg by mid January and each week on the Ultra Lite program I'm aiming for a 1-1.5kg loss. I'm not going to beat myself up about not reaching these goals because I know I'm not going to reach them all the time and any loss is a good loss. At the moment the biggest motivating factor is my cm loss! I knew my clothes were fitting better (particuarly around my waist) but had no idea how many cm's I'd lost until I measured myself last night. When you add em all up (the cm's) it's even better! :D
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
If you can dream it, you can become it.

Return to Introductions