It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Need help losing weight

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Need help losing weight

Postby Thinliz06 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi, I'm new to this but desperate to lose at least 10 kilos before March 2012. How can I get over the cravings that always seem to ruin my weight loss attempts? :x
Thinliz06

Re: Need help losing weight

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:53 am

Hi thinliz06

There are plenty of ways to deal with cravings. You'll find some here in the forum in the older discussions (use the search function), and there are other articles on the website that is attached to the forum.

Basically, cravings arise from both psychological and physical needs and one or both will need to be addressed.

Personally, I find that they are fleeting, maybe only lasting five or so minutes, but they can be intense. However, if they can be resisted for five minutes, then that can often be long enough for the intensity of the craving to ebb to a manageable level. You need to turn resistance to cravings into a basic habit, unlike caving in to them, which is a bad habit that needs to be unlearned.

In the short term, get it off your mind by doing something that requires concentration and and gets you away from potential food sources. Always have a bit of healthy low energy food such as a carrot or celery stick to munch on or even a big glass of water - it won't satisfy your craving for chips or whatever but at least it will give your mouth and stomach something to do.

It gets easier once you DO manage to weather out the short period of intense craving, and eventually (at least, in my experience) they become quite manageable.
CronicBadger

Postby Thinliz06 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:15 am

Hi CronicBadger,
Thankyou for the tips, have started the day with healthy breakfast but about 11am ! I will be looking at the posts you suggested.
Thanks again
Thinliz06

Postby ryanphillips » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:37 am

If you eat the right amount at meal times you shouldn't have any cravings. Also you have have one day off a week from dieting which actually helps you lose fat! Crazy huh. Its good that you can admit that binging is a problem, if it is a problem you struggle to tackle head on, tackle it from the side by doing other things to help your fat loss whether you binge or you dont...

Here are some tips that will speed up your metabolism (and help you burn fat whether your binging or not)..

(1) Start your day with a healthy breakfast
You hear everyone say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, this is true! Eating breakfast will kick start your metabolism for the day and it will also stop you from snacking half way through the morning. The important thing here is the time of breakfast, your level of cortisol (the hormone that helps you use calories to build muscle) is sky high in the morning just after you wake up, it won’t be any higher than this at any point in the day so eating breakfast, especially eating breakfast early will turn those calories into muscle as fast as possible. I recommend having breakfast within 30 minutes of waking and the 2 breakfast I cycle between are a 30g protein shake when I have to be out the house early and eggs (scrambled or poached) organic sausages and turkey bacon. Also note to optimize fat loss for the day you need at 30g+ of protein for breakfast. (30g is the equivalent to 2 hard boiled eggs)

(2) Exercise
Aerobic exercise revs up your metabolism for as long as an hour after you stop. I always recommend short burst exercise in the morning if possible, imagine your belly is an oven, by completing a short aerobic exercise routine in the morning e.g. training at the gym or running you turn the oven on so any food that goes in gets burned off a lot faster than if the oven was turned off. Ideally short high intensity exercise gives a bigger increase of your resting metabolic rate compared to medium or low intensity exercise. I recommend going for a walk and add in sprints of 10 seconds to every 20 – 30 seconds of walking or if you would rather stay inside and exercise, a basic cardio circuit of squats, sit ups, skipping etc. will really get your metabolism going.

(3) Build Muscle
The basic formula is more muscle = higher metabolic rate. This is why a man’s resting metabolic rate is naturally higher than a woman’s, because men have more muscle. Ladies shouldn’t worry about bulking up by adding resistance/weight training to their exercise regime, all that will happen is your wobbly bits will become more firm and toned. Remember every pound of muscle uses about 6 calories a day to sustain itself while a pound of fat only uses 2 calories.

(4) Add Ice To Your Drinks
In order to process calories your body needs water, I aim to drink between 2 – 3 litres of water a day to keep me hydrated, even mild dehydration slows down your metabolism. In addition to this drinking ice cold beverages prompt the body to burn more calories during digestion. Just by drinking 5 glasses of water on the rocks can use up an extra 10 calories per day without any form of dieting or exercise. Every little helps.

(5) 4 Hour Eating
Eating food more regularly can actually make you lose weight! Jim White, a national spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association says “The more frequently you eat, the more often your metabolism revs up. Conversely, missing a meal, or going too long between meals brings your metabolism to a crawl. Your body switches into starvation mode and your system slows down to conserve energy.” I aim to eat every 4 hours, this normal falls into every 3 – 5 hours because of work, another benefit of eating more regularly is you will be less likely to over eat at meal times or snack in between.

(6) Power Up With Metabolism Boosting Foods
Protein takes almost 25% more energy to digest compared to carbohydrates or fat. By eating more protein at meals your metabolism will keep sky high throughout the day which is one of the best ways to help you lose weight, there are 3 food groups that super accelerate fat loss; a complete list of these food groups can be found in my free 6 day Fat loss eCourse which you can access instantly direct to your inbox. Just Click Here Caffeine also helps speed up your metabolism by stimulating the production of adrenaline, just limit yourself to no more than two cups a day and use cream (2 tablespoons max) instead of milk.

(7) Get Enough ZZZZ's
In a 16-year study of sleep-deprived women published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, researchers found that those who slept seven to eight hours a night had the lowest risk for major weight gain, while women who got six hours a night were 12% more likely to pile on a significant number of pounds, and those who logged five hours or less were 32% more likely to gain weight. Sleep deprivation increases production of the chemical cortisol by approx 50% which in turn increases your body’s hunger levels and throws out the hunger hormones leptin and ghrelin which reduces your ability to tell when you are full. It also interferes with the body’s ability to metabolise carbohydrates and leads to more fat storage so try and get a few early nights if you want to keep the weight off.

Hope These help

Ryan
Last edited by CronicBadger on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted spammy sig.
ryanphillips

Return to Introductions