It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Free Newsletter

2012 - It's Time!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2012 - It's Time!

Postby lmffph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:31 am

Morning all!!

Vicki - My diet of 1200 said around 1.5kgs a week as well. I've lost 3kgs this week. I did the same calculation on all of the online diet planner things that I could find. They all came ± (within) 10 calories of each other. The only problem I have with some of the calculations is their long-term outlook. I've played about with a few of them and they seem to indicate that if I ate 1200 calories a day, and did at least 4 hours of high intesity activity (like very heavy weightlifting) a week then I would reach my goal weight by July. I cannot immagine that is feasable at all!!! :-S I do think that, if I keep going the way I'm going, I'll be near enougb to my goal weight by xmas. yay!

I was also exactly the same in terms of (generally) eating less than other people. No-one believed me either until my partner started sticking up for me. I've figured out that where I went wrong was skipping breakfast, eating the wrong foods at the wrong time, no exercise and not enough sleep. I think another problem was having meals that were not balanced in terms of their carb/fat/protein breakdown. I'm working much harder to get this right as well.

Cindy - happy to report the pokey elbow fingers have now pretty much gone, even though Ive not changed the weight lifting I've done. I'm taking that as a good sign.

My two thinking points for this week are sleep, and heave weight lifting. I need to get more sleep, more regularly. see - http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_rel ... and_health

Also discovered from some online research that 40 minutes of lifting heavy weights is better for you (in terms of calorie usage) than 40 minutes of jogging. WHile jogging might use more calories to begin with, your muscles will continue to use calories after the exercise in order to repair themselves. Also, the more lean muscle you have on your body the faster you metabolism works in general so the more calories you use in a usual day. Finally, the more lean muscle you have the more stuff you skin has to hang on to when you lose weight. I DEFINITELY don't want to be left with saggy skin after all the work I'm putting in! See here --> http://weightloss.com.au/articles/exerc ... women.html

So ladies - good luck for this week and I'm looking forward to hearing how you all get on with everything!

Fiona
Short term goal

SW - 131.5kg on 2/1/2012
New SW - 125.1 on 19/11/2012
GW - 70-80kg

INTERIM GOALS
125kg - 19/11/2012
120kg -
115kg -
110kg -
105kg -
100kg -
lmffph

Postby SugarandSpice » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:51 am

Hey Fiona,

Yes correct sleep is VERY important. I am actually doing a uni course this semester called 'wellbeing'. I already knew that lack of sleep and stress cause increased levels of the hormone cortisol in your system - which leads to decreased ability to burn fat. I have sleep apnoea and when I was first diagnosed the guy there told me that I would have found it impossible to lose weight without treatment due to the cortisol issue. I have just had a review and turns out I am still not on the correct cpap pressure - which means I am still waking up every few minutes each night - so need to go get it adjusted!!

This is an article about cortisol if anyone is interested? - http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight ... d_obesity/

Thanks for the info about weights, I have 2 little dumbbells and am going to make sure I work out with them each day now!!

I also love that you have had similar experience with people not believing you ate much. My Dr was VERY rude and told me I must be lying and in denial as to "get to that size - you have been eating double the amount you need for at least 3 years". I have had a few Dr's say things like that to me and my 16 year old son gets very angry and says Mum, next time I am coming with you - I'll tell them it's true!!!

I struggled to eat brekkie this morning - one egg is all I could manage. Am thinking about doing a shake for breakfast as at least I could get a drink down easily enough??

Hi Cindy, I think I am going to have to research too, as I am prone to just eating the same thing over and over and get sick of it...

Chelsie - I think you did great eating the steamed vegies. Believe it or not vegies are one of my favourite foods - although I am guilty of not eating them as much as I should!! I also sometimes use housework as my exercise for the day - I set myself extra chores which has the added benefit of exercise and clean house!!

Have a great week everyone!!
Take Care
Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby chelsclint » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:30 pm

HI Guys, hows your day been? i was having a really down day today for no real reason so i decided id do my weekly weigh in a day early, figured if i was going to be depressed may aswell add to it and get it over and done with... very positive i know.
To my total disbelief i have lost 2.1kg in 6 days making 9kg in three weeks! lol
I cant believe it, guess all the hard work is paying off!

Was wondering if you guys have anything you give yourself for a treat, like a dessert or something that helps with the sugar cravings but isnt really bad?

Goodluck Everyone xxx
C helsiexx
chelsclint

Postby SugarandSpice » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:55 am

Hey Chelsie - WELL DONE!!!!! :D

I was having a bit of a crappy day yesterday too.... stayed in my calorie range, but did no exercise :(

what about those diet nestle mouse/creme caramel etc?? can't say I like them myself though...

Keep up the great work!!

Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby lmffph » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:15 pm

yesterday was a tough day for me as well.

Went over my calorie limit - but blasted myself with an hour at the gym, so still had some calories left over.

As for treats - I'm not rewarding myself with any kind of food, but with other little things: new iphone cover, a book, trip to the cinema (gold class!! :D ) are all things I've got planned. Rewarding myself with tasty food is how I've got into this 'predicament' in the first place!

Week two begins for me today. Fingers crossed for a good one!
Short term goal

SW - 131.5kg on 2/1/2012
New SW - 125.1 on 19/11/2012
GW - 70-80kg

INTERIM GOALS
125kg - 19/11/2012
120kg -
115kg -
110kg -
105kg -
100kg -
lmffph

Postby miss_viva » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:04 pm

chelsclint wrote: Was wondering if you guys have anything you give yourself for a treat, like a dessert or something that helps with the sugar cravings but isnt really bad?

Hi guys, you're all doing really well so far, congratulations! You should consider moving out of the intro section and coming to join some of us over in Personal Progress! You could start a group thread there for yourselves or individual ones :)

As for dessert ideas, some of my favourite things are:

Skinny Cow icecream sticks - I think they only have about 70 calories per serve and they are delicious!

Billabong Icecream Cups - They are also around 70 calories per serve, but they are smaller than the Skinny Cow icecreams. (The Billabong ones come with sprinkles though, and who doesn't love them?!)

Depending on the temperature, a hot or iced latte. I LOVE my coffee. If I want a hot one, I used the nescafe latte sticks and add a sprinkle of chocolate dusting (available from the coffee aisle at most supermarkets) over the top. The little bit of chocolate powder makes it seem much more indulgent. For an iced latte, I mix 1 teaspoon of coffee, half a teaspoon of sugar, trim milk and several icecubes and then I blend it. Delicious!

Diet jelly - I love this when I have sweet cravings and just want to eat and eat. Each serve only has about 7 calories, so even if you go crazy and have 3 serves, you're not going to do much damage.

Mini pavlova - I buy the mini pavlova shells sometimes and add lite whipped cream and fresh berries and kiwi fruit. Yum!

Fresh fruit salad - add anything you like :)

Hope this helps!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby chelsclint » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks there is some great dessert ideas in there. I am really craving chocolate but i know that if i have a little bit... i wont stop lol

Ill have a look at the personal progress section ,

Thanks again miss viva!
chelsclint

Postby babylove » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:31 am

Hi, I have cheesecake flavoured yoghurt, or crackers with nutella.
84Kg starting weight
78 kg current weight
65 kg goal weight
Inches lost
Bust 3
Waist 3
hips 1
Thigh 1
Bicep 0.5
babylove

Postby chelsclint » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi guys hows your day been?
Thanks for all the dessert/treat ideas,, I bought some jellies and some philly light spread and crackers ill try them to start with and see how i go.
I had my final kick start session with my trainer today and he killed me! i havent attempted to run in about 4 years, so my pace was more like a very slight jog but just as i tried to run there was a huge thunder clap and the gym actually shook, I told him thats what happens when you make a fatty run... lol
To be honest it was really good and he showed me some things i can follow in the gym by myself so as to keep going without him constantly there to egg me on. Im going to try to afford a session a week with him at the moment because I dont think im committed enough to do it alone yet. I go to the gym but i give up too quickly despite my best intentions.
I've also borrowed my brothers zumba dvds.. have any of you tried that?

We went out for tea tonight to check out the food at the venue we are having our engagement party at and it was beautiful.. i ordered a Caesar Salad and asked them to go really lightly on the dressing. I had two glasses of water . I tried my best to stick to the diet and i left without dessert even though the baileys cheesecake was extremely tempting!

well i hope you are going well so far this week, take care
Chelsiexx
chelsclint

Postby babylove » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:05 am

Saying no to cheesecake!! That is discipline.
84Kg starting weight
78 kg current weight
65 kg goal weight
Inches lost
Bust 3
Waist 3
hips 1
Thigh 1
Bicep 0.5
babylove

Postby chelsclint » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:22 pm

HI All,

babylove - I know... especially when its topped with Baileys,,, I love both! lol luckily for me right now I love the idea of getting healthy even more... mind you to be honest if my gorgeous boy hadnt of said ... come on bubba youre doing too well, lets go... I may not have been soooo strong! lol

Chels xx
chelsclint

Postby Miss Piggy Wiggy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Hello All,

My name is Georgina, I turn 29 in a few months and I finally made the move to lose some of the very many excess kgs I have been carrying around with me. I have been large all my life. I think I eat for many reasons, stress, boredom, comfort, anything really and up until last year I was happy just being me. I'm a big girl with a big heart and a big personality and I liked being that way. The stone in my river though was my husband. We met online 6 years ago now, have been married for 3 of those and basically wanted kids but it hadn't been happening. We weren't actively trying but we werent either and I thought we had issues. I was getting very emotional and eating and it was just one of those this is going nowhere no win situations. Anyway I finally got the courage to attend a fertility seminar, met an awesome doctor there and scheduled an appointment. Waited months and months to get to see him, then the day before the appointment my husband and I are talking and I am saying how excited I am to finally be sorting this out. He then pipes up and says he wishes I had asked him about going to see the doctor because he doesnt have any issues with babymaking as such. I was in shock. He said it was just me and basically I am not attractive to him in that way. I was shocked and upset but that was my time to make a change moment. I love him to death and although most people would think "what an a hole", I knew what he had said was true. I wasn;t the same size as when I had met him. I had gone up two dress sizes. I know thats not a huge change but it was the difference between buying clothes in a normal store to buying in a plus size store. On top of his comments I had done some blood tests and had been told I am not ovulating at all or not regularly - and my symptoms point to polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos).

So I took a deep breath, did some research and found pcos is prevalent in overweight women. With a weight at that stage of 106.1kgs I was extremely overweight and knew my health was suffering. I read that even a 10 per cent drop in body weight can make a change to pcos and people who have lost weight have lost the condition all together. So I took a deep breath with my life, didnt mull over the hurt I felt from what my husband had said and started boot camp 4-5 times a week, I also started calorie counting.

I am now 99.1kgs and I am on my way to 60kgs - 39.1 left which is where I am going to be by the end of 2012. I also want to be pregnant by the end of 2012 and I would like to be able to wear a bikini for the first time in my life. I also dont want to lose my husband and although that sort of comment comes from self esteem issues, it could be a reality if I just continue to eat myself into non existence. I am currently doing lite and easy more out of convenience than the weight loss, the husband lives 900kms away and I only see him once a fortnight for 4-5 days so its working for me at the moment.

I feel like once my weight is in check the rest will follow so I am hoping all of you lovely people on here will be my support to help me get there and I can be yours.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and apologies to all the men who just read about fertility lol.

Georgina
Miss Piggy Wiggy

Postby SugarandSpice » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Georgina,

Good luck with your weightloss and pregnancy goals.

Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby chelsclint » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Hi all,
Georgina Welcome and I totally understand the whole PCOS thing and I to would love to get pregnant. Luckily I had my first daughter when i was only 18 and it was so easy back then , my first sexual boyfriend and I was on the pill and still got pregnant. 14 years later Im engaged to a gorgeous man Id love to have children with and not happening, we've tried for nearly three years but PCOS is my problem too. i was actually diagnosed with it about 8 years ago.
If it gives you any hope i do know three women who have lost weight and managed to go on to have children despite being diagnosed with PCOS.

I wish you all the best wish your weight loss and keep us informed!

Chelsiexx
chelsclint

Postby rachael.k » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:46 am

Hi everyone

My name is Rachael, and you will have to forgive me as I have never really used an online forum before so it might take me awhile to get the hang of it. I am 25 years old and have had 3 very stressful years and was shocked to discover I have put on 15 kilograms. I am 6ft tall and had been hiding the increasing kilos thus far but am at the point now where i can't recognise my body and know that I am overweight, even for my height.

I am doing my masters of veterinary surgery and do not want to be lugging all this extra weight around when I start clinical rounds. I want to get fit and healthy, and my ultimate goal is to be back under 70kg.

I have very ambitious plans to do the "tough mudder" at the end of march (20km obstacle course from hell) and would like to be not much more than 75kg at that point so that will be my first fitness goal.

I need something to hold me accountable that hold me accountable each day so I can maintain my efforts.
At the moment I have started on a fitness program that includes 3-4 weight training sessions (1hr Body Pump classes- perfect for anyone lke me who is embarrased to used the weights in the gyms with the 'big guns') and 3-4 cardio sessions (30 min interval training on the cycle and building up my runnning).

At the moment I can run 2km. Hopefully I can improve that today!

I am also trying to cycle where possible (to work, to uni) as opportunistic exercise so to speak!

2012 is the year! any support anyone can offer (reciprocal ofcourse) would be greatly appreciated :)
Look forward to hearing from you
regards
H: 183.5cm
SW:89.5kg
CW: 87.7kg
GW: 68.5kg

rachael.k

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions